Sign in to follow this  
Taman

Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear

I'm thinking of painting my R91Cp flat black and was going to use the PS-55 Flat Clear to turn it matt. Has anyone used this?

Apparently you paint the outside of the body, is it durable? I would have thought you would paint the inside with it first, then paint over it.

If you paint it on the inside, the lexan is still glossy on the outside :P

Actually, it's quite good. Anything that will scratch the body will scratch it too, but in general it does it's job. Just use lots of light coats and remember to mask your windows. You even can use the protective film for this. Cut around the windows or anything else you need to be glossy with a hobby knife and remove the rest of the film.

Some examples:

IMG_2041.jpg

P7223081.jpg

DSCF7251-Copy.jpg

Can you safely apply it to a coat of paint on the outside? I was think of painting the inside of the car a metallic silver with some rust, then the outside black with the flat top coat for a beater-type look. Then, as the black is scratched/knocked off, the metal underneath would come through. I have seen some tutorials on how to do this, but most just use a matte color on the outside.

Just a query, but, have any of you guys tried keying the OUTSIDE of the polycarb, after, painting. I dont mean get all 180 grit on it, but, i use finest grade Oakey pads, to key the inside of my shells, before i paint.

This leaves it just dull, still smooth, no scratches, just dulled, just kinda wondered, if it would work in reverse, the key would be using a SUPER fine grade of sanding pad, or, maybe even a paint cutting agent and a polishing cloth? Just thought it may be more durable than an exterior coat that could chip leaving gloss marks?

lee

Just a query, but, have any of you guys tried keying the OUTSIDE of the polycarb, after, painting. I dont mean get all 180 grit on it, but, i use finest grade Oakey pads, to key the inside of my shells, before i paint.

This leaves it just dull, still smooth, no scratches, just dulled, just kinda wondered, if it would work in reverse, the key would be using a SUPER fine grade of sanding pad, or, maybe even a paint cutting agent and a polishing cloth? Just thought it may be more durable than an exterior coat that could chip leaving gloss marks?

lee

Or put the the hottest brushless you can find in it. That'll certainly "dull" the gloss on your bodyshell. :)

If you paint it on the inside, the lexan is still glossy on the outside :)

Actually, it's quite good. Anything that will scratch the body will scratch it too, but in general it does it's job. Just use lots of light coats and remember to mask your windows. You even can use the protective film for this. Cut around the windows or anything else you need to be glossy with a hobby knife and remove the rest of the film.

Some examples:

IMG_2041.jpg

P7223081.jpg

DSCF7251-Copy.jpg

whats that body in photo 3 buddie ? Looks ideal for a project i have in mind .

yeah u can scuff the shiny lexan with a scourer, just the green kitchen potscrubber pads will do.

But its a lot of work and you often get swirl marks, also hard to do evenly on a curved surface.

Alternative is to sandblast @ low pressure with a gentle media eg walnut or dryice

PS55 is much easier; if you do manage to scratch off PS paint don't worry - exposed lexan will be anything but glossy

Well I decided to try it and I'm happy with the results. I sprayed over the decals aswell. It looks really good and seems to be pretty strong.

R91-MB02.jpg

R91-MB01.jpg

R91-MB03.jpg

R91-MB04.jpg

• Like 1