Sign in to follow this  
qatmix

For sale threads.. time for a change

Hi All

Can we make all For sale threads on the main site have to include a price that the seller wants for the item and the price for postage (At least domestically).

There are far to many people who just say make me an offer, A seller has a price they want for an item, so they should list that price as a starting point. Some people are shockingly rude saying things like.. You know whats its worth, so no low offers. Which is obviously rubbish as value is only perceived by the individual, there is no book price.

Can we sort this?

C

Having used forums where this is enforced, you often see things like "£10,000 or best offer, no low-balling" so forcing a price doesn't achieve anything.

Personally, I'm a lot more likely to buy from someone that does state a price, and generally advertise my stuff with prices too, both on the main site and the forums

Can't do much about the 'rude' ads, maybe those sellers change over time when no-one bothers to contact 'em?

Either that or it gets them better offers in which case we should all try it

This crops up every now and then, and the general feeling is that whilst it would be nice to 'encourage' prices, why should a seller be forced to state a price when someone may be prepared to pay double what the seller wants as they've a special attachment to the item on offer.

A buyer knows how much they have to spend, where's the harm in them offering the whole amount to the seller?

I'd suggest a good idea would be for the OP to be able to remove their threads once the sale is complete, or at least mark for deletion so that the administrators can remove if appropriate. That would help to reduce the size of threads on the forum, and making searching for items a lot easier.

I'd suggest a good idea would be for the OP to be able to remove their threads once the sale is complete, or at least mark for deletion so that the administrators can remove if appropriate. That would help to reduce the size of threads on the forum, and making searching for items a lot easier.

The OP is about the main site, not forums.

The OP is about the main site, not forums.

I think I've been misunderstood possibly, for OP I meant 'original poster', i.e. the creator of the thread.

Whether it's Original Post or Original Poster, the person that started this thread was talking about the main site, not the forums - please read the posts more thoroughly before replying ;)

Either way though, there's no plans to force priced ads anywhere on TC

Hi All

Can we make all For sale threads on the main site...

Hi All

Can we make all For sale threads on the main site have to include a price that the seller wants for the item and the price for postage (At least domestically).

There are far to many people who just say make me an offer, A seller has a price they want for an item, so they should list that price as a starting point. Some people are shockingly rude saying things like.. You know whats its worth, so no low offers. Which is obviously rubbish as value is only perceived by the individual, there is no book price.

Can we sort this?

C

Agree - i've looked at half a dozen for sale items this week already where there is no indication of price, and not even a 'make me an offer' comment. Some of those adverts go to the trouble of stating £25 postage, what use is that if you have no indication of whether the item is £75 or £275 ?

For me, it just puts me off contacting the seller - perhaps if i was really desperate for a model or specific parts i would contact them; but for impulse purchases it kills my interest straight away.

Just my 2p worth

Some of those adverts go to the trouble of stating £25 postage, what use is that if you have no indication of whether the item is £75 or £275 ?

For me, it just puts me off contacting the seller - perhaps if i was really desperate for a model or specific parts i would contact them; but for impulse purchases it kills my interest straight away.

Like this one? http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp...25&id=34746 :)

In both your traderooms you have items inviting offers, without fixed pricing - let's have some continuity here chaps :)

I don't see how offering someone £20 for something without a fixed price is any different to placing a £20 bid on an eBay item that doesn't have a BIN price

I don't trade a huge amount of stuff, so quite often I genuinely don't know how much stuff is worth... I'd rather allow people to make an offer which I can then politely accept or decline.

I don't trade a huge amount of stuff, so quite often I genuinely don't know how much stuff is worth...

And that's one of the main reasons people have objected to it in the past

The counter-argument is you could do some research, and the counter-counter-argument is so could the potential buyer.

As I said earlier, 'please make me an offer' is really no different to '£10,000 or best offer please' except one of them has nicely bypassed the 'must have a price' rule.

Like this one? http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp...25&id=34746 :)

In both your traderooms you have items inviting offers, without fixed pricing - let's have some continuity here chaps :)

I agree Andy - perhaps part of the problem is that the trade ads don;t show the 'make me an offer' caption, whereas fixed price ads do show it ?? Hence if you don't put make an offer int he description its not immediately obvious what the ad type is ??

Agree - i've looked at half a dozen for sale items this week already where there is no indication of price, and not even a 'make me an offer' comment. Some of those adverts go to the trouble of stating £25 postage, what use is that if you have no indication of whether the item is £75 or £275 ?

Just my 2p worth

in my defense , i did post my make me an offer sale with the postage price because thats the only thing i honestly know to put an number on it . i really don't know what the item is worth , hence the make me an offer.

...part of the problem is that the trade ads don;t show the 'make me an offer' caption, whereas fixed price ads do show it ?? Hence if you don't put make an offer int he description its not immediately obvious what the ad type is ??

The 'fixed price' ads have a nice little price next to them so it's easy to spot the priced ads (provided sellers fill the info out).

I'm not sure how highlighting 'offers' items will help, when they're the only other type of trade in that column?

Priced ones show a price, offers ones don't.

There's the odd exception where people add the price to the title and not the price box, but that's down to them not filling the fields out properly and nothing's ever gonna stop that :lol:

post-1185-1329914011_thumb.jpg

The thing is, everyone has a price they will sell it for, If you dont have a knowledge of what price you want for it would you accept the first offer if it was £1? Off course you wouldn't. When you think about selling something you do have an idea of what you want for it, it doesnt have to be 'market price' as thats subjective. It just has to be a price you think is acceptable.

Oople has enforced this policy, and its worked a treat. People have to have a picture and post an asking price and postage. It makes it a nice pleasant experience. It also gets rid of the rude posts, and ideas of elitism (You should know how much its worth, I wont reply if its not near a magical figure in my mind etc).

I just think it would make the site a little more friendly.

It still comes down to two parties though - just because you, as a seller, would accept £50, why shouldn't you get £80 if that's what I'm prepared to pay?

Fixing prices doesn't stop people being rude, ignoring their ads does that (eventually)

It also depends on the items for sale - some of the stuff here has no 'market value' any more so if the seller's had them sat on his shelf for 10 years, then there's no real value to him, but to someone else they could be priceless.

The thing is, everyone has a price they will sell it for, If you dont have a knowledge of what price you want for it would you accept the first offer if it was £1? Off course you wouldn't. When you think about selling something you do have an idea of what you want for it, it doesnt have to be 'market price' as thats subjective. It just has to be a price you think is acceptable.

Totally agree.

I just ignore all for sale posts without a price, don't even bother contacting the seller regarding negotiating a price as I'm sure they're expecting more than it's worth. This might not be the case, though am sure items with a price sell quicker and easier than those without. So sellers just remember that when you next list an item up for sale.

Just think of what the world would be like without prices, shopping in Tescos would be a nightmare.

:lol:

Just think of what the world would be like without prices, shopping in Tescos would be a nightmare.

Imagine Tesco shelves full of 30+ year old tomatoes :lol:
Stores tend to have prices based on cost, profit margins and overheads - something that's been at the bottom of my toolbox for thirty years is worth nothing to me, but if I'm offered a tenner for it, then it's suddenly worth a tenner.
If I advertised it free to a good home, or for a fiver, then it's worth somewhere between £0 and £5

There are benefits to both sides of priced/non-priced advertising, there are no plans to enforce priced trading on TC, mainsite or forum, sorry.

Now I've re-read this and got the correct understanding of it :lol:, I think the system is ok as is. If people wish to put 'Make me an offer' that's up to them. Generally it seems to appear more on expensive items rather than cheap bits and bobs anyway, so if you're serious about buying something expensive you'll have a good idea of the likely value of it anyway. I usually put values on my ads of what something is worth to me, purely so that if someone thinks it's a bargain it will go quick.

Now if you could just check that the title isn't "DO NOT RE-ENTER ITEMS WITHIN 14 DAYS" before accepting an ad, that *would* be handy... :lol:

At the end of the day if the buyer and seller are happy with what they get then that's there business. None of you would sniff at something worth over a 1k advertised for a couple of hundred. It's in the sellers realm to know what they're selling.

I instantly get turned off by make 'me an offer' unless its accompanied by a ball park figure, or if it's something I really want. Putting a price on something you want to sell is an absolute must in my opinion, otherwise stick it on eBay and subject yourself to all the eeejits.