Sign in to follow this  
Shanks

Antenna wire length

One of my the missus cats has a thing for chewing wires and recently chewed through a servo wire & chewed the end off one of my recievers, its a 2.4GHz one not sure if I can still use it and how it will affect the range etc..

Any help would be great,

Thanks

One of my the missus cats has a thing for chewing wires and recently chewed through a servo wire & chewed the end off one of my recievers, its a 2.4GHz one not sure if I can still use it and how it will affect the range etc..

Any help would be great,

Thanks

give it a range check . have a assistant walk away with it till you lose signal . if its a problem solder a bit of extra wire to it and heat shrink the joint . that will sort it out . :rolleyes:

Any help would be great,

Thanks

you can also check the wire length on the net if you find the specs then adjust as bromvw suggested

Great advice guys thank you very much :wub: I have another exact same reciever so I can measure the antenna length on that then repair the chewed one as advised.

I just did this on my Traxxas receiver and if you can or have the skills with a soldering iron I suggest replace the whole wire... do not splice it is what I'm saying basically

I just did this on my Traxxas receiver and if you can or have the skills with a soldering iron I suggest replace the whole wire... do not splice it is what I'm saying basically

no disrespect but i've extended many many RX wires over the years on scale aircraft , scale boats and quite a few cars . From experiance so long as the wire is long enough being too long has never being a problem . Splicing is fine so long as you can do a decent solder job .

no disrespect but i've extended many many RX wires over the years on scale aircraft , scale boats and quite a few cars . From experiance so long as the wire is long enough being too long has never being a problem . Splicing is fine so long as you can do a decent solder job .
and weather proof it- corrosion is the reason I said that... if the joint is not fully cleaned and sealed it will corrode in a matter of weeks -I never said shorten or lengthen it- I said replace the whole wire don't splice it

I used a Futaba wire on my Traxxas 27mHz receiver that is well over 30" long.. it works great so much so the car is actually faster than it was with the spliced antenna wire

and weather proof it- corrosion is the reason I said that... if the joint is not fully cleaned and sealed it will corrode in a matter of weeks -I never said shorten or lengthen it- I said replace the whole wire don't splice it

I used a Futaba wire on my Traxxas 27mHz receiver that is well over 30" long.. it works great so much so the car is actually faster than it was with the spliced antenna wire

sorry i thought using heat shrink over the splice was common sence . :)

sorry i thought using heat shrink over the splice was common sence . :)
I would use adhesive backed heat shrink tubing if I spliced it BUT I had no issues replacing the whole wire so I will do that from now on..

actually I'd only splice it if I was in between heats of a race and that will probably never happen as I don't race R/C's

sorry not trying to offend anyone I just believe in doing it once and doing it right when it comes to soldering especially electrical soldering

I've looked at the wire & taken the receiver case apart as the wire is what I can only describe as 1-2mm coaxial as it has a strand of wire running the centre of it encased in plastic then more strands around that then the outer protective covering, the centre wires are soldered to one hole in the receiver and the outer wires soldered to a different hole.

Im guessing that a splice job wont do as it's 2.4Ghz not Mhz?

based on the wire configuration i'd go for a full replacement - even if you could solder the core wire and the outer wire it'd be a bit messy looking.

Ok thats a different matter . I'd replace the whole wire in that case .

The car is faster? That's kind of interesting, doesn't really make any sense, but interesting. :)

The car is faster? That's kind of interesting, doesn't really make any sense, but interesting. :)
it was a botched attempt of a antenna splice.. not even soldered.. the only thing I changed was the wire and the body.. it's x2 faster and it has a stock 540 motor

I've looked at the wire & taken the receiver case apart as the wire is what I can only describe as 1-2mm coaxial as it has a strand of wire running the centre of it encased in plastic then more strands around that then the outer protective covering, the centre wires are soldered to one hole in the receiver and the outer wires soldered to a different hole.

Im guessing that a splice job wont do as it's 2.4Ghz not Mhz?

Correct, a lot of newer 2.4's are a coaxial wire, no chance of splicing them effectively, Some Spektrum recievers actually use a "plug in" antenna, which can be purchased as a spare part.

Small world shanks, im from rotherham too, ive got a 100mtr roll of antenna wire i aquired from work, if you pm me your details i will drop some in the post for you, unless you live round the corner then i will walk round with it lol.

it was a botched attempt of a antenna splice.. not even soldered.. the only thing I changed was the wire and the body.. it's x2 faster and it has a stock 540 motor

Zac_F83, Can you please explain why/how this is possible? :( . Did the MSC get stuck?, :P and then became unstuck when you were working on the receiver?. :unsure:

Paging Sheena Neegans? Phonecall for a Ms. Sheena Neegans?... alright it's me. I'm calling Shenannigans. Potentially better reception doesn't double the speed of your car.

Paging Sheena Neegans? Phonecall for a Ms. Sheena Neegans?... alright it's me. I'm calling Shenannigans. Potentially better reception doesn't double the speed of your car.

Not if you use the white Futaba wire. But the old high-performance green wire that came with certain Sanwa/Airtronics receivers, now that's a different story. :)

Yes and if you lick the live wire and it tastes likes lemons, you know it's gonna need wings.

Disclaimer:(Please do not take the above advice seriously, unless you are an adult?,in which case. Carry on. :D )