Sign in to follow this  
greg123

Mocirometers

Hey Guys,

Anyone have a micrometer to recommend? Nothing too crazy, but just like a handheld size. Anyone try out the lcd versions? You think that the non digital ones are just as good? I am getting tired of estimating with my metric flat ruler, especially trying to gauge .5mm and smaller. Figured a handy micrometer might be a good investment for projects.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Paul, I didn;t even know there was a difference. I thought all micrometers were calipers. Just want to measure small things, like screws, bearings, openings, maybe small distances of steering knuckle modifications, stuff like that. That one from harbor frieght looks good, especially with their nice 50% off coupons at the stores. Thanks again for the heads up!

This is what I think of when someone mentions a micrometer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-micro...-set-66512.html

Both micrometers and calipers are useful, but I find the calipers more useful because I can measure larger sizes, and I can measure both outer measurements and inner measurements -- note the two sets of fingers on the calipers.

-Paul

Oh cool, so the fingers measure the inside of things. That sounds like the best thing to me too. Thanks again Paul!

Speedy, have you seen the one they sell that does fractional measurements? It's metric, inch and fractions. Pretty cool, no depth rod but it's something like 12 bucks.

Speedy, have you seen the one they sell that does fractional measurements? It's metric, inch and fractions. Pretty cool, no depth rod but it's something like 12 bucks.

No, I haven't... That sounds pretty cool. I do use the depth measurement capability, though, so it would be difficult for me to trade that for fractions...

-Paul

I like it just for converting dimensions. For those " what on earth size is that?" moments. I've got both of them since I travel with that kind of stuff all the time. For the money they can't be beat.