Sign in to follow this  
Miggers

Spring rates

Got my paws on a pair of blue Tamiya friction shocks with silver springs on

a while back.

Any idea what the spring rates are at all?

I've got 'em fitted on the front end of my Mardave Cobra with Option House gold shocks,

they seem too stiff with very little give in 'em.

In comparing silver friction shock springs with similar silver CVA damper springs the friction springs do seem quite stiff. I used stock friction vs. replacement CVA springs from a couple of DT-01/02 models for comparison b/w the two.

Don't know if that helps any?

Do you know the part numbers of the springs themselves? What model did these blue dampers come from? I was pulling together some data on spring rates for a rally conversion project and have some numbers to share, but it's not comprehensive by any means. These numbers are for touring car springs and front buggy springs, but not rear springs.

If you can figure out the part number for the spring itself, we might be able to cross reference it to a kit I have and then I can measure the spring rate for you. This is my setup for generating data:

I weigh the unloaded spring first, lower the caliper finger until it just barely applies the slightest of force, zero the caliper, compress the spring a distance, read the new weight, and then calculate the spring rate based on force divided by distance.