Dimsum

Sport Tuned 540 Motor / waterproof ESC compatibility noob questions

I have some very nooby motor / ESC questions that I am hoping to get a good answer for here, as I can't find any good answers through Google searches. And if asking questions involving non-Tamiya products are frowned upon, I apologize, but I am struggling here lol.

So this is my situation - I want to get as much waterproof electronics in my trucks as possible. I have Traxxas 2075 servos on the way, as well as Traxxas XL 2.5 ESC's, which I ordered without checking first to see if I could run with Tamiya's Sport Tuned 540 motor (DOH!). From what I understand, the Traxxas WP ESC cannot be run with the 540 motor due to the 15t limit on the ESC? Here are the specs from the TRX XL 2.5 ESC :

Motors: Brushed

Motor Limit: 10-turn (380 size)

BEC Voltage: 6.0 Volts DC

Transistor Type: MOSFET

On-Resistance: 0.008 ohms

PWM Frequency: 2300Hz

Motor/Battery Wiring: 16-Gauge

Weight: 33g (1.16oz)

Thermal Protection: Thermal shutdown

The HPI SC-15 WP ESC looks to me like it will work with the 540 Sport Tuned motor that I have in both my Lunchbox and MudBlaster II. Here are the specs for the HPI ESC

Power Source 6.0-8.4V

Current Rating: Forward 200A, Reverse 100A

Voltage Regulator: 5.0V (circuit board protection)

Motor Compatibility: 15T and up (7.2V), 17T (8.4V)

PWM Frequency: 1Khz

Am I correct in my understanding of the compatibility of both these ESC's with the 540 Sport motor? Not sure why I really jumped on the Traxxas ESC without doing a little more research first. I suppose because it was suggested as being compatible with the 2075 Servo lol. I need to slow down my trigger finger when it comes to making purchases for my habit, errrrr hobby. Thanks in advance for any insight/help/facts. This forum has been a blessing in getting good information.

The Traxxas ESC is designed for 1/16th or small scale models, such as the 1/16th Slash, mini e-revo etc. Those trucks come with a 380 motor in brushed form. They are relatively light trucks too, despite their durability.

You may get away with that ESC and a sport tuned (ca 23turn motor) given it will supposedly handle much lower turn 380 sized motors. It does have a thermal cut off, so worst case if you try it and the esc gets too hot it will shut itself down. All depends what you want to run it in - a 2wd light truck like a Blackfoot or Lunchbox may well be OK, run it in something heavier like a 4wd Hotshot and i suspect it would thermal.

I wouldn't throw it away just yet, but if you have an option to return it to the seller to swap for something else that may be a safer option.

All of the Mtronics ESC's are waterproof, and the newer versions are Lipo ready too. I use RV12 Assaults in most of my cars and trucks and some of these have had some serious dunkings.

I balloon my receivers and putting them into a waterproof box has worked fine

i hear some racers use Novak's 1/16 ESCs for VTA racing, which is probably hotter than a Sporttuned.

Thanks for the replies. I plan to return the TRX ESC's and get 2 of the HPI ESC. The reviews I've read seem good, and the price is right. I'd rather get something I know is going to work than burn up $50 on a chance.

the HPI ESC's will work with the Tamiya motors.. return them Traxxas one's.. you need to get XL5 traxxas ESC's to run 540/550 motors..