Sign in to follow this  
Zac_F83

replacing receiver antenna wire

I have a Traxxas TQ3 3 channel receiver left over from my Tmaxx I plan to install it in my TT01 TCS legal chassis-

My question is it needs a new antenna wire- will any land style wire work? I'd prefer to use a Traxxas wire but I cannot find a replacement-

Will a Futaba replacement wire work?

Soldering it in is not a issue I am totally confident in that..

These things are a tuned length and I'm not sure they can be replaced successfully. The range gets severely affected

These things are a tuned length and I'm not sure they can be replaced successfully. The range gets severely affected

I second that. I made the mistake of cutting a receiver wire when I was a kid. Even just a little. My car grew a mind of its own with that mistake. Nothing will aggravate you more than seeing your car run off into the sunset without you and trying to figure out why.

Well, I have replaced several aerial-wires succesfully through time, so at least, you should give it a try. :D

Use this tool:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/tools.asp

for calculating the length of wire you need, and just solder it in. :)

i regularly buy used cars that have had the receiver wire cut short by numpties that dont read instructions .. its an easy replacement . i use computer ribbon wire , a multi strand , multi coloured flat wire cable you can buy from any electronics store cheap as , there are about 12 strands of platic coated wire so you have a choice of colours .

i buy about a meter of it at a time . i first measure the anttener lenghth after i remove it from the transmitter to get the length of the wire needed then pull one strand away from the flat bundle and cut it to suit . this is the hard part , i open the receiver case and carefully , with a pointy soldering iron , heat the existing wire and gently pull it out of the hole in the circuit board , it helps if you give it a strong blow of air to blow out the hot solder leaving the hole clean and open . bare an end on the new wire , about 1-2mm , tin the bare end ( put solder on the wire ! ) then resolder it back in the hole . you dont need to pour in heaps of solder , just melt the tinned wire to the solder around the hole . thread the wire back the way it was , then put the caes back together and your done .. i have done this for over 25 years and have never had a problem with range or interference .. and lets face it , most people are not going to use the full range of about 300 meters are they ??

T3550202_Close_up_of_computer_data_ribbon_wire_SPL.jpg

post-33251-1331040260_thumb.jpg

thanks guys this receiver in question had a previous antenna repair with I'm guessing is Futaba wire that was over 500mm long- so I trimmed the end small enough and soldered it in place and it works great!

thanks guys this receiver in question had a previous antenna repair with I'm guessing is Futaba wire that was over 500mm long- so I trimmed the end small enough and soldered it in place and it works great!

sounds good. the hardest part is getting the receiver open.

this wasn't hard Traxxas receivers just snap together so a little flat blade screw driver is all it took...

Futaba receivers on the other hand are a totally different story haha