Raman36

Kyosho Sand Master

Guys my motor and esc turned up today, its 4700KV and a 60amp esc, any Idea what size pinion I should use? and have the alloy rear lower wishbones come out yet there is so much flex on the plastic ones.

Cheers

Steve

Since it's 4700KV instead of the 4370KV in your ebay link you should use the smallest pinion which is 27T then go from there. Pinions are cheap and easily replaceable so you could try different ones later if the 27T is too slow..which I don't think will be the case.

Guys that Leopard Combo goes straight in, ok you cant run the fan but I did not have to cut anything,it did not like running on 27mhz very poor range but on 2.4 good as gold. I have posted some pics on the front page, its a rocket now with wheelies all the time great fun, wonder how long it will last :)

So it is 4370KV and not 4700KV...big difference. I do like how you fitted the ESC into the compartment..very neat and tidy.

Sorry guys yeah 4370kv trust me to get it wrong, Still been running it on tarmac today it runs so good, I have turned the punch down and only run the brakes at 50% to keep the stress down on the gearbox. This car is trasformed now it runs full power dead straight and spins the wheels when ever you punch the throttle, the rear wheels tend to toe in under power but think this helps keeping the car straight at speed. This is now one of my favourite cars, I think its got a good top speed without it going into warp drive and crashing and a lot of bottom end power to slide even on the tarmac, all this from a £40 motor and esc :)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=116974&id=5045

Congrats on the brushless install. I was also very surprised how well the Sand Master runs on tarmac with a brushless system. I also agree regarding the stock reartoe. I made some turnbuckles but decided not to use them because the stock setup seams to be optimal in my opinion. Even the front camber is not an issue when I installed softer springs.

Yeah this car is a fantastic bit of kit out of the box with just a change of shocks and a brushless a set up, tires work well on any surface, one of my favourites now !!

Since this thread has been so quiet lately I figure I'd post a progress report for mine. I did a rough test fitting of some lights...decided to use Traxxas light buckets instead of ordering the Kyosho specific ones because I just didn't like the way the Kyoshos look..they're mounted too high up. In addition to the 4 already mounted to the roof, I may mount a pair on the nose as well..but I'll have to see how it looks. For the final fitting I'll likely have to drill a small hole in the roof for wire management and also paint the backs of the buckets/LEDs to reduce rear light leakage. I plan on painting the body panels with a 2 or 3 tone color scheme but I haven't decided what colors yet. After I get the panels painted, I'll mount the spare tire which will require a custom mounting bracket. Other mods I'm thinking of adding are a motor cover, a metal exhaust pipe, a brace to tie the two roll cage halves together and a whip antenna.

2ch15w4.jpg

2h6do34.jpg

1g3ogg.jpg

34q1hjc.jpg

I've just finished reading this brilliant sandmaster thread with great interest as i've bought my youngest lad one of these models for christmas and to be perfectly honest i cannot wait until christmas day as i'm gonna be as excited as him when it comes to the "build". I just recently got back into this geat hobby after a thirty year break when i bought a 2010 holiday buggy to re live my youth and both my lads love it so it seemed like a perfect excuse to get them one each for crimbo. I've got the sandmaster for my youngest and an Ansmann core short course truck for my eldest, the sandmaster looks like a pretty good car to work with especially with the aftermarket shockers and light bar kits and after reading all your comments and reviews it seems like its quite a nimble little runner as well although i've no doubt i'll be doing various kinds of repairs during the christmas week after head on collisions with kerbs and tree's !!. I'll tryand post a picture or two of the finished car.

Steve.

Yeah, Christmas good time for building R/C. the Sandmaster is a great little car, now I have mine on brushless I love it, great handling and one tough little retro car.

Just a couple of videos of my work in progress SM. Notice I cut off the nerf bars too. It's not that the stock nerf bars are ugly because they're not..in fact Kyosho did a good job by not making the bars protrude from the body too much like other buggies. I cut them off because I personally like the clean lines of a nerf barless buggy.

Anyway the Sand Master is a very fun buggy and it looks cool too. I think your son will like the build as it's not too difficult for beginners and replacement parts are fairly low cost.

Great Vid, I like mine with the nerf bars :-) and the brushless set up on 2s lipo so fast !!

Speedy little thing in the vid, I saw one in the flesh today, quite a funky looking fella, I wonder how long it will be before we see a load of alloy hop up parts, the design is begging for them B)

Added front fog lights. As for the roof lights...I'm going to change them out for a more "hardcore" set with larger buckets and an integrated roll hoop.

icqpsx.jpg

[media=]

[/media]

Speedy little thing in the vid, I saw one in the flesh today, quite a funky looking fella, I wonder how long it will be before we see a load of alloy hop up parts, the design is begging for them B)

Yep and that's with just a tiny brushless motor. I wish GPM Racing or 3Racing starts making some alloy CVDs for it. Also a stronger/stiffer alloy/graphite rear shock tower would be nice.

Exhaust pipes and roll cage brace ready for installation.

xnzskn.jpg

6z4gbb.jpg

I also test fitted some new wheels with tarmac radials to see how they look. I think they look nice but need to find offroad tires.

2lmb4t1.jpg

Did a night run tonight on tarmac and was curious how fast the car was capable of with the modest gearing and zero timing. I was pleasantly surprised with the result..31 MPH. I did some calculations and if I were to switch to a 3S pack I would get a top speed of around 46 MPH. I just love driving this buggy at night with the roof mounted running lights and front fog lights. Now that I have the rear brace fitted I'm thinking about adding some rear red lights.

2v9w0nl.png

Hi, just a couple of snaps of my youngest lads sandmaster which we built up over Christmas, since the pics were taken i've replaced the horrendous excuses for front and rear shockers with 75mm ansmann oil filled units and the certainly make the car a lot more driveable over the rough stuff, the original units just bounced around all over the place and bottomed out every time you hit a bump, i also replaced the body side panel pegs with small screws as the panels were popping out after every run, apart from these two little minor niggles I think the car is an absolute blast for the price of it and its pretty quick even with the basic silver can motor, it sure gives my holiday buggy a good run for its money.

S6001092_zps8d59864f.jpg

S6001089_zps7c6cd7c8.jpg

Well done on the driver figure and spare tire. I'm interested to know what exact hardware you did used for fixing the panels. I tried M3 nuts and bolts, but this will only be fine for the roof, while the rest of the panels mounts aren't easy to reach. Another idea that came to my mind was using some cut body mount posts and clamps - haven't tried that yet.

I've got the Kyosho fog light set mounted on the roof now. The metal fixing bracket seems to act as a functional rollbar protecting the lights, and also stiffens the tube frame at the roof. I'll post pics tonight.

Hi Greg, basically I just ended up using very small zinc self tapping screws that screwed into the black plastic roll cage, I tried various other ways that looked better externally but the panels always popped out again which drove me nuts, this way may not look as pleasing to the eye but at least my six year old can beat it up on the rough stuff for twenty minutes without dad having to go looking for a missing in action body panel. I look forward to seeing your snaps of the roof lights as i'm keen to see the rollbar, I would like to mount some lights on ours but my lad has a tendency to use full throttle a lot so consequently it sometimes ends up on its roof !!.

gasman, sorry no pics yet. :( However, you can see how the lightbar looks like on official photos:

http://www.rcdriver....he-sand-master/

My first impression is that it mounts to the roof in a very strong way and feels quality made. You could even pull the car up at the bar (although... no sane person would want to). What they don't show you at the ad pics is how the wires are being routed. Essentially, as long as you don't drill yourself a hole into the roof, you'll have a mess of wires up there. The LEDs are not super-bright, preventing you from accidently blinding yourself and your friends. I'm fine with that, but unfortunately the backside of the lights aren't sealed properly, so they'll shine through. I think this could be fixed by adding some black sealant or black heat shrink tube.

hi fella's, so I just ordered a sand master kit from JEmodels for a bit of fun in the garden and local parkland :) , also ordered the oil damper conversion seal kit EZW012 for the kit supplied shocks from banzai hobby( I might be tempted to get the G-made items at a later date ) and an HPI steel pinion , I was wondering if any of your sand masters have shown any weak spots over the longer term other than has already been discussed in this thread ? cheers ;)

I haven't discovered any more weak spots yet, as there are more than enough of them now. :D

Joking apart, I needed to shave even more material off the dogbones with the help of trusty Dr Emel, and - against my initial impressions - they're _still_ binding with the cups occasionally. Needless to say, I'm not that happy about that.

I haven't discovered any more weak spots yet, as there are more than enough of them now. :D

Joking apart, I needed to shave even more material off the dogbones with the help of trusty Dr Emel, and - against my initial impressions - they're _still_ binding with the cups occasionally. Needless to say, I'm not that happy about that.

thanks GregM, I take it you are still trying to get greater suspension travel from your sandmaster , I was having a look at the drive shafts on my old lazer 4wd buggy which has skinny shafts but I think they will be too long , guess it will be dremel time for you, :unsure: , have fun and cheers again for the reply ;):)