Raman36

Kyosho Sand Master

Even sidetracked, it was interesting to read anyways...

What comes to wheels and lights, those both are from Ebay (China). Similar lights can be found with keyword "crawler fog lights" etc. mine was set of 10pcs + controller (flash and blink and all)

Decals are my own creation, which are sort of work in progress *cough* never finished ;)

Thank you!

Oh well, sorry I think my last post sounded a bit harsh.

I didn't realised you put a new driver helmet in your Sandmaster, I bet you've even painted it by yourself. Man, that looks good, you've got a fine sense for details and proportions, which is why I like the white beadlock wheels coupled with the large tires.

By the way, welcome to Tamiyaclub! :)

I didnt find anything harsh from your reply to me, so no worries =)

Actually, helmet is from DeAgostini - Kyosho Ferrari F1 2007 set i had laying around. http://www.elisanet.fi/siuruainen/f2007/parts/parts/003.jpg

I just felt it was fitting there pretty nice, helmet size also went along with bit "oversized" tires.

Thanks for the welcome, happy to be here :)

800-3621_zpse125534d.jpg

• Like 1

Not seen yet indeed. Is this an official Kyosho hopup or aftermarket part? Looks interesting!

Oh thats cool, because i just blew my diff (2 small plastic cogs inside casing)

Just seems that need buy whole new KYOEZ010 part

Sorry about bringing back an old thread, but just got a Sandmaster after falling in love with the looks at my local hobby shop. It kind of helps that it was on sale too. I bought the readyset kit, and the first thing I did was rip out the ESC and motor. I've also got the EZW012 oil filled conversion for the stock dampers and EZ010B gear cover on order, as I broke the cover tabs while trying to remove the motor.

So far I've got the following in the car and just ran it for a few minutes to check it out.

hobbywing XR10 justock ESC

hobbywing justock 3650 17.5t brushless

robinson 48p 27t pinion

I'm happy with the speed, I guess it could go faster, but I can try out a 29t pinion i have if I decide to.

One thing I struggled with is the steering, I couldn't get it to consistently go straight. I kept having to adjust, and readjust the steering trim. Is there anything I can do to get it to go straight consistently?

Update: just ordered the Tamiya 3x32mm screw pins as well.

One thing I struggled with is the steering, I couldn't get it to consistently go straight. I kept having to adjust, and readjust the steering trim. Is there anything I can do to get it to go straight consistently?

I've got the same problem too, but initially blamed it on the analog potentiometer knob trims of the supplied transmitter. They may vary the resistance slightly over the runtime due to heat building up, I guess. I'm more used to digital trim switches on other transmitters, where I don't have the need of readjusting the steering every five minutes.

However, if the real reason behind the bad centering of the Sandmaster's steering lies somewhere else, please guys, let us both know. :)

I've got the same problem too, but initially blamed it on the analog potentiometer knob trims of the supplied transmitter. They may vary the resistance slightly over the runtime due to heat building up, I guess. I'm more used to digital trim switches on other transmitters, where I don't have the need of readjusting the steering every five minutes.

However, if the real reason behind the bad centering of the Sandmaster's steering lies somewhere else, please guys, let us both know. :)

I guess I could try binding the receiver to my Sanwa MKV transmitter, or just sticking an airtronics 371w in there since I already ripped out the esc anyway.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to turn to getting adjustable turnbuckles and see if the steering can be fixed that way.

On another note, I actually like the wheels this car comes with, and measured it to be around 60mm H x 32-33mm W.

Anyone know of any tires that are taller that will fit these wheels?

Just dug this thing up again... 0fh5rxb.jpg?1

What tire/wheel combo is this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found them under "Tamiya Pajero" search.

So I swapped out the kyosho receiver for an airtronics 371W using it with a Sanwa MKV. The steering is better, but it still goes off a little. I think it's partially due to the loose front end, and hopefully gets better when I get the Tamiya 3mm screw pins in. I may still change the fixed turnbuckle to an adjustable one.

Modded the receiver/esc cover to fit the new combo

24375487344_8093598411_b.jpg

Bought the updated Gearbox cover

24979781706_1587d86dc5_b.jpg

installed 3 0.5mm shims on each side.

24638466209_40876889f7_b.jpg

installed the light upgrade option

24638462899_62a338327c_b.jpg

shocks are also now oil filled.

Going to try setup station to see if i can dial in the wheel alignment any better.

So after adjusting the end points and what not on my Sanwa MKV transmitter.... it was much better but still a tad off after turning left, because it wouldn't go back to neutral/center all the way. It only went back to neutral/center after turning right. Tried to adjust as much as I could, but I ended up just ripping out the Kyosho servo in the car and replacing with one of my savox servos. That seemed to help even more and the car is much more consistent now. I'm sure it'll get even better after I get pins I need for the kingpin mod.

I guess the electronics that come with the RTR kit aren't really all that great, and probably something that's not worth paying for over the kit version. Fortunately, I got mine on a clearance sale and I got my RTR version for less than the kit version.

hi,

I don't know if someone already posted this question since my English isn't that great to read.

I have a newer Sand Master for about half an year. I had a lot of fun. I am still very new to RC world.

Now my Sand Master is using G20 motor from Kyosho, and the rear gold suspension from Kyosho made for Sand Master. Other parts are original still,

I have few questions,

My rear bumper always rubbing the ground when I drive. now my rear pumper has a hole. Is there anything I can do to solve that problem? If I just changing bigger rear tire set, will that cause problem?

How often should I clean bearings? I just finally cleaned few days ago and found out all my bearings are rusty. I just ordered another set of bearings from ebay. It's not expensive but I wonder if I can maintain them well.

Last question is about gear, as I saw some people already discuss the plastic pinion gear isn't great. I did't know that so ordered 3 more plastic gears from Kyosho and 2 of them are already stripped. So I am looking for metal one. Do you guys know which company makes pinion gear that will fit on Sand Master? I have asked on retech and they told me the diameter might matter. also is that ok to use different tooth like 28 or 29t? Will that match the 91t spur gear?

thanks, I am not joking that I have those questions running in my head during my day time, RC hobby really keeps my brain thinking all the time

hi,

I don't know if someone already posted this question since my English isn't that great to read.

I have a newer Sand Master for about half an year. I had a lot of fun. I am still very new to RC world.

Now my Sand Master is using G20 motor from Kyosho, and the rear gold suspension from Kyosho made for Sand Master. Other parts are original still,

I have few questions,

My rear bumper always rubbing the ground when I drive. now my rear pumper has a hole. Is there anything I can do to solve that problem? If I just changing bigger rear tire set, will that cause problem?

How often should I clean bearings? I just finally cleaned few days ago and found out all my bearings are rusty. I just ordered another set of bearings from ebay. It's not expensive but I wonder if I can maintain them well.

Last question is about gear, as I saw some people already discuss the plastic pinion gear isn't great. I did't know that so ordered 3 more plastic gears from Kyosho and 2 of them are already stripped. So I am looking for metal one. Do you guys know which company makes pinion gear that will fit on Sand Master? I have asked on retech and they told me the diameter might matter. also is that ok to use different tooth like 28 or 29t? Will that match the 91t spur gear?

thanks, I am not joking that I have those questions running in my head during my day time, RC hobby really keeps my brain thinking all the time

For your rear suspension, you can try adjusting it so that the suspension doesn't compress as much, or you can buy stiffer springs.

The Kyosho Sandmaster manual says you can use a 29T or 31T pinion as upgrades. So you need to look for a 48P(pitch) 29T pinion or a 48P 31T pinion.

so if I wanna buy a pinion gear just type "29T 48P"? I looked it up and some are listed 5mm on item name, what's 5mm about? which one would fit on Sand Master?

PS: Has anyone bought the Boom Racing Combo Upgrade Set here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Sandmaster-Performance-Combo-Upgrade-Set-7-Items-Silver-Boom-Racing-/191701310081?hash=item2ca249da81:g:0nEAAOSwhAZWBhfH

I would go for a 27 teeth, 48 dp pitch steel pinion gear, (shaft diameter 3,17 mm if I remember correctly). Larger pinion sizes will stress the motor and cause overheating, even more so when either upgrading the motor or using larger wheels.

Edit: The gear I'm using is a 27T one, I guess it was made by Graupner back in the day.

Alloy suspension arms are a no-go for a running car, the metal arms will tear the plastic suspension mounts apart on impacts.

This thread will give an insight what is worth upgrading on this car, and what isn't worth.

I have a 17.5t brushless motor on mine, but using a 27t robinson pinion. I've tried the 29T, but the 27T is much smoother.

The easiest way I found to go faster on this car is to just stick bigger diameter wheel/tire on it. Just for kicks... I stuck the wheel/tire combo from an Axial SCX10 kit. It was doing wheelies and hauling ***. Wasn't very stable though. Going with a combo just slightly bigger than the stock tire/wheel diameter should be good though.

hello,

I posted a question before that since I changed my rear shock to the gold kyosho ez aftermarket shocks. (ezw005 HRT Oil Shok Set)

My rear damper started to rub the floor when I drive

someone posted a reply that I could change the shock stiffness.

but one of my friend suggested me to change the shock oil to 600 first and I did

the problem still remains

so changing the shock is my only solution now?

and I found out when I press the rear body down it just won't bounce back easily like the front.

anyone has the same problem as mine?

by the way, if I am heading to change my shock, what length should I buy? for the gold ez aftermarket shocks

thanks a lot

(pic is the Sandmaster's position after I press down and it won't bounce back)

post-45356-0-65761700-1454061736_thumb.j

Regarding your dampers, I'd suggest re-reading the whole thread (yes, all 10 pages so far), since this should give you a good idea on what damper lengths and setups works, and what won't.

From what I can see, the most straightforward way would be staying with the stock plastic friction dampers and springs, that came with the Sandmaster. You can consider getting the oil conversion kit for the Sandmaster's plastic dampers from Kyosho, there are instructions in this thread on how to build them right.

If you insist on keeping those alloy dampers, then please make sure you build them correct according to the supplied instructions (if there are any). To stop the rear from sagging, you need springs that are hard and long enough (that's what she said). The thickness of damper oil has a different purpose, it is there to adjust the bouncyness of your suspension.

Regarding raising the general ground clearance, larger wheels than the stock ones are the way to go.

The sandmaster has always sat low at the rear, stock dampers included. under acceleration it will dip, but should not be touching the ground. You can increase the rear ride height by removing a small amount of plastic on the rear lower arm mounting - should be detailed earlier in this thread, probably in first few pages. Sorry I can't help more but i sold mine quite soon after building and initial modifications.

The chassis is designed to slap the surface when landing jumps, it protects from breakages of arms / shocks etc.

thank you guys, I did my best to read all 10 pages basic on my English reading ability and I appreciated all the thoughts that people shared here.

I think I did build my alloy suspension correct. I just bought the the front one and it's on the way shipping. They are made for Sandmaster so I thought someone here could share their ideas about those parts.

My personal preference now will be getting a bigger set of tires and wheels on the rear only.

Do you guys think this will be weird? To have a bigger rear tires than front. And what size should I use? Can I use 2.4 diameters?

My rear damper really has a hole about 5mm long by rubbing the floor.

Large/wide rear tires and small/narrow front tires are all right on a 2WD buggy. Although it may look a bit odd when the front sits much lower than the rear.

It will not be easy finding tires that will fit to the Sandmaster rims. But if you change to standard rally wheels or 2.2" buggy wheels, there are a lot of tires available.

E.g. Tamiya High Lift wheels and tires are a good option and will fit straight onto the Sandmaster, as I've shown in this thread.

• Like 1

hello,

today I was trying to maintain my Sandmaster,

I found my front right hex can't go all the way deep to the shaft that attached it.

I did everything I could to clean and it still has a gap between and that might attract more dust.

Is there a way I can fix that?

Which part is broken?

thanks

post-45356-0-05258400-1455511425_thumb.j

post-45356-0-83114500-1455511472_thumb.j

been bashing mine around the last few months on hard dirt, its a blast with the way its setup now. (Traxxas shocks, Sport tuned motor and Tamiya wheels / tires.

IMG_0686_zpsz2kzvlyu.jpg

Raising a thread from the dead but: I recently bought an axxe (wifi receiver version) for only $90 (ebay), ripped out the wifi receiver, installed a generic goolrc transmitter/receiver and popped in a G15 brushed motor w/ 2S lipo, thereby clocking 26.1mph. The Axxe already has the OE oil filled shocks upgrade (and apparently ball bearings? Unsure, can't find detail) but the problem is the stock bead lock tires are getting ripped off the rim by the kids who love to do donuts with the G15. 

I see people using the glued Pajero/CC01 rims combos, a glued tire/rim be a better solution that the janky kyosho bead locks? I've even tried white silicone sealant and even that's not holding.

TIA