Sign in to follow this  
Theibault

Theibaults Super Hotshot Build Thread

Sorry for no pics last night. Had a date. I'll post more tonight.

I'd say the date takes priority! :) The build can wait a day or so. :P

Steve

Hopefully his opening line was "Do you like RC?" You know, to get it out of the way :)

Hopefully his opening line was "Do you like RC?" You know, to get it out of the way :)

She's cool. She wants to drive one sometime. She rides motocross, shoots, and is a very athletic gal.

Ok, I'm in the home stretch now. So little left to do and yet I have so little time that it may be three more days before I'm done. Oh well, I'd rather it take longer than my half a**ing something. On to the pics for a few things I did on my lunch break.

IMG_20120321_145322.jpg

IMG_20120321_145859.jpg

IMG_20120321_152436.jpg

Now this step is the only issue I have had all build. The 2 BA27 3x27mm screws that hold the front of the radio box to the chassis stripped. They are long screws and the torque to get them in stripped the soft metal tops. Not a biggie, but when I take it apart the first time, I'm going to have to replace those two.

IMG_20120321_154026.jpg

Back to work. Paint on the body and wing will be done in 2 days time, and by then the build will (should) be complete. Thanks all for sticking around with me :) .

Almost there lol.

IMG_20120321_164922.jpg

IMG_20120321_201322.jpg

IMG_20120321_204636.jpg

IMG_20120321_203710.jpg

Don't mind the toe in, the manual lengths seem wrong, or my digital caliper is going awol on me. It was fixed.

IMG_20120321_205503.jpg

IMG_20120321_210733.jpg

Paint will be ready tomorrow. Good night!

IMG_20120321_210733.jpg

This last photo is very inspiring, need to get into my own kit, great job

Almost there lol

IMG_20120321_210733.jpg

Paint will be ready tomorrow. Good night!

Thanks for your time & posting a great thread . This is looking fantastic .

Just love them gold rims ....

Hi Theibaults,

Thanks for the build thread. Very nice.

Is the rear shock tower made of graphite?

IMG_20120321_203710.jpg

Now this step is the only issue I have had all build. The 2 BA27 3x27mm screws that hold the front of the radio box to the chassis stripped. They are long screws and the torque to get them in stripped the soft metal tops. Not a biggie, but when I take it apart the first time, I'm going to have to replace those two.

To get around this on my hotshot radio tray I used a M3 tap to put a thread in the plastic first. It makes putting the screws in a breeze, and relieves the stress on the plastic of forcing the screws in, so less chance of the plastic splitting when it get old, or a bad clonk. It also makes it easier to feel when the thread pulls tight, so less chance of stripping the thread out completely. Very nice build, I'm a bit jealous really I haven't got one myself, but I've already got 3 hotshots and a supersabre, and I've got to draw the line somewhere :lol:

OH no I looked at this thread again….. now I want one. :lol:

Nice looking kit

OH no I looked at this thread again….. now I want one. :D

Nice looking kit

Why kid your self ? . Your going to get one :lol:

Hi Theibaults,

One things for sure, it is certainly a lot thicker than the original Supershot / Hotshot hop-up one.

Hi Theibaults,

Thanks for the build thread. Very nice.

IMG_20120321_203710.jpg

I'm not sure if it's graphite. It might be. Very strong and light. It is some form of composite. At first I thought it was black delrin but I honestly have no clue.

To get around this on my hotshot radio tray I used a M3 tap to put a thread in the plastic first. It makes putting the screws in a breeze, and relieves the stress on the plastic of forcing the screws in, so less chance of the plastic splitting when it get old, or a bad clonk. It also makes it easier to feel when the thread pulls tight, so less chance of stripping the thread out completely. Very nice build, I'm a bit jealous really I haven't got one myself, but I've already got 3 hotshots and a supersabre, and I've got to draw the line somewhere :lol:

I figure they are threaded now lol. Just need the replacement screws for the future. They still have a little shape so it shouldn't be too much of a chore to remove them. Luckily, if worse comes to worse, those are the only two screws that the screw holes go all the way through and I can easily get a thin drill bit to push them out through the bottom. Great tip for anyone building a 'Shot chassis.

On a side note, apparently it got really cold last night here in Colorado. My body was in the garage drying, and some of the paint "shrunk" causing tears in it. I fixed what I could, but it's not perfect. Oh well, these things happen lol. I guess this will end up as my runner body, and I'll have to get another for the shelf. Pics will be posted tonight once it's all stickered up. Anyone know if Tamiya will make the body kit available seperately? They have no parts listed yet for the 58517 kit and I don't want to pay EPay prices for another body.

On a side note, apparently it got really cold last night here in Colorado. My body was in the garage drying, and some of the paint "shrunk" causing tears in it. I fixed what I could, but it's not perfect. Oh well, these things happen lol. I guess this will end up as my runner body, and I'll have to get another for the shelf. Pics will be posted tonight once it's all stickered up. Anyone know if Tamiya will make the body kit available seperately? They have no parts listed yet for the 58517 kit and I don't want to pay EPay prices for another body.

Well done! :lol:

OSR

Very nice build Theibault!

I did mine a few days ago except for paint and I noticed my rear stabilizer bar is pretty much useless...the red plastic part it passes through that is attached to the gear box allows the bar to flop all around inside - it doesn't secure it there is a lot of play. Did yours come out the same way or maybe I just have something wrong??

Also, anyone have ideas for a paint coilor? thinking of something non- boxart. Has anyone seen a yellow, blue or orange SuperShot??

Very nice build Theibault!

I did mine a few days ago except for paint and I noticed my rear stabilizer bar is pretty much useless...the red plastic part it passes through that is attached to the gear box allows the bar to flop all around inside - it doesn't secure it there is a lot of play. Did yours come out the same way or maybe I just have something wrong??

Also, anyone have ideas for a paint coilor? thinking of something non- boxart. Has anyone seen a yellow, blue or orange SuperShot??

I noticed that too, but it does need to move some for suspension articulation. I'll find out how well it works when I run mine.

Thank goodness for stickers. They always save my behind when I have a paint mishap. Anyways, it's done. Here are my final pics. I will run it in a few weeks when some tires come in, so I'll post a video here.

IMG_20120322_183332.jpg

IMG_20120322_183225.jpg

IMG_20120322_183247.jpg

Thanks for all the comments along the way!

• Like 1

Thank goodness for stickers. They always save my behind when I have a paint mishap. Anyways, it's done. Here are my final pics. I will run it in a few weeks when some tires come in, so I'll post a video here.

Thanks for all the comments along the way!

Looks fantastic Omar! Maybe I can see this one in person soon.

Great job!

Steve

Has anyone seen an orange SuperShot??

Already painted up ***** body, to go on my Re-Re, with "different" coloured decals

Looks fantastic Omar! Maybe I can see this one in person soon.

Great job!

Steve

Anytime you are free, you are welcome to. You can drive it too <_< .

Already painted up ***** body, to go on my Re-Re, with "different" coloured decals

I almost went with Purple, but at the last minute before paint, I kept it true to the one of my youth.