Sign in to follow this  
tamiya monkey

scorcher bent rear axle !

I ran my re-re scorcher this weekend and jumping over a small ramp, i managed to bend one of the rear axle as it comes out of the bearing, at first i thought the wheel nut had come loose as the wheel was all over the place, has anyone else had this issue and is there an upgrade part, if not i will buy the parts bag required off fleebay.

Is it bent where the pin goes through? A customer of my LHS broke the axle clean in half where the pin is, I gave him one out of my SS

with the intention of buying another last year which I still haven't gotten around to replacing! (A summer without a scorcher! ;) )

The old axles don't have the pin either, so in theory are stronger - i think Bromvw broke a re-re one int he same fashion a few weeks back running brushless

The old axles don't have the pin either, so in theory are stronger - i think Bromvw broke a re-re one int he same fashion a few weeks back running brushless

Indeed i did . However , i replaced them with a set of re re and they have being fine . I wonder if there is a batch that are somehow weaker ?

Thanks for the reply's guys, i did think about originals as they like you said dont have the pin so in should be a little stronger, shame i cant have some made up, they look pretty simple to make.

Hi.!

Having restored more than 20 :unsure: vintage SRBs and Super Champs..I must point out that I have found many bent rear axles in many of them...I still have 6 or 7 bent axles in a bag somewere...

I supose the problem was the same back in the day and I thought Tamiya had improve the strength of them as they did in other areas on the re-re SRBs.

Better to buy some cheap re-re axles as spares instead of spending in the vinatge axle that some others may bid high in order to restore a vintage Buggy.

Cheers.!

Thanks, just ordered a rod bag set which contains the axles in question, maybe i ought to keep clear of the ramps lol.

DSC_1938.jpg

DSC_1967.jpg

Wow..!!! ,,Now I see why you have a bent rear axle...! :-) How is the front bumper holding..?? There is a reason why they call it "Sand Scorcher" ..I think a beach is a better place to have fun with it mate... If you have one near you at least...

Cheers..!

Hi zulu69, the bumpers looking abit scuffed i must confess, but there cheap and easy to get hold off, dont get me wrong i dont try to wreck it, its my fav in my collection, but i do run it at the beach too but the original body gets fitted for the gentle beach running its treated to.

DSC_4060.jpg

DSC_4044.jpg

DSC_4027.jpg

DSC_4026.jpg

Hello T Monkey.. :-)

Now thats what I call great fun with a Sand Scorcher in box art !! (xb body its perfect for that job!!) I did exactly tha same thing with mine. :-) Beach its their natural enviroment and all these years I can not imagine an SS being anywere else than on a beach ...

Iam glad you use it as it should...!

About the bumper..I thought these were so fragile that will never survive such a jump... good to hear it was not broken and as you said they are so cheap..imagine to buy a Black SRB bumper for 10usd...it was a dream some years ago....

the bumper's pretty tough, had some hammer but holding up fine. running a scorcher on the beach is great fun and exactly how these great buggies should be run.