Sign in to follow this  
focus1

hand made alu for 959?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy Alu R parts for this chassis any more? I am plannig to run this car this summer?

Thank you :-)

Anders

Hi Anders , there were some alu parts on eBay a while ago ,front and rear arm parts (not hubs) but I can't see them listed anymore ,I think the seller was 'thai town' but I'm not sure , a bit of searching there might turn up something , cheers ,Kev

I bought a set of aluminum suspension parts from RC Channel. They seem to be available still.

http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/index.php?cPath=28

Thank you guys.

I had a mail from a moderator who said I can not ask for repro parts. I did not know that. What about non tamiya Hop-Up parts? This is absolutly a hop-up item don't you think?

Regards

Anders

Thank you guys.

I had a mail from a moderator who said I can not ask for repro parts. I did not know that. What about non tamiya Hop-Up parts? This is absolutly a hop-up item don't you think?

Regards

Anders

If someone has a set that isn't broken, it could be modelled, then have it's strength improved in the places where the damage usually occurs (making it a hopup, not a repro part) and 3D-printed, just like this project. (I have experience with both modelling and 3D printing, but I do have a tight schedule. I would definetely like to help out though). The nylon is about as strong as the ABS, similar weight (so your unsprung weight isn't harmed), more flexible than the alu so it won't permanently bend in a hard hit, and perhaps best of all, I'm sure it can be produced cheaper than USD100 (My guess is 50-75USD).

PS: Some people are sceptic about the strength of 3D printed parts, but there's no need to worry. In fact nylon is perhaps the perfect material for this: It's cheap, tough, hard wearing (so it doesn't need bushings in the hinges like other materials might need) and pretty accurate. Let my link to my project be a testament to it's strength, and otherwise, PM me and I'll send you some links :D

PS2: There is another option that may give you the opportunity to repair your parts, or mould new ones, cheaply. There is a material with similar strength to nylon called Polymorph. The main differences are that Polymorph is biodegradeable, but more importantly, it can be shaped at 60 degrees centigrade (whereas it is still stable for mechanical use at 40 degrees). If you can make a casting (plaster, plastic, metal - silicone may be too flexible) of the parts, you could just heat up the Polymorph and close the mould, pressing out excessive material. It may require some work afterwards, like drilling holes for the hinges and such, but it could be worth having a look at. What may also be possible is to repair the parts with Polymorph, though it wouldn't be as aesthetically appealing :D