Sign in to follow this  
focus1

Cerebral Palsey- need a ome stick transmitter?

I have a friend and coleege who has a kid with CP. He is a great kid and he handels his stickdriven wheelschair skillfully. I was thinking that I shold give him a basher, but he can not use bouth hands... Does it excist anything like a one stick transmitter?

What about rebuilding a stick transmitter. I have some extra transmitters from cheap helicopters where the stick moves bouth ways. I can probably wire this up to some AM gear?

Cheers

I once saw a transmitter conversion on here, can't remember if it was converted to a joystick or a playstation control???

It's on here somewhere. Pretty sure it was a one handed operation though, I will have a search but this post may jog someones memory?

Maybe look for a second hand 4-channel set? Then all you'd have to do is plug your servo and ESC into the appropriate channels and voila, one stick operation.

A 4-channel stick transmitter, like a Futaba 4YF 2.4 GHz system, might work very well for him. The left stick has ratcheting up/down and spring-loaded right/left. The right stick has spring-loaded up/down and spring-loaded right/left. Depending on which stick is needed, it is easy to move the mechanisms around to have spring-loaded up/down on either side, or convert both sides to be spring-loaded up/down.

The 2.4 GHz version does not have an external antenna to snag on anything. That seems like a key feature for someone who may have some coordination challenges. Other nice features include a neck strap and knurled aluminum sticks for better grip. The transmitter comes with a R2004GF receiver which also has four channels. Depending on which stick is used, the appropriate set of channels can be used for ESC and servo. What's fun about a four-channel setup is you could always assign lighting to the ratcheting channel; use a servo and a micro switch to enable the lights on the vehicle. You could also do the same thing on one of the spring-loaded channels to have one or two horns/buzzers.

Like IBIFTKH said, if you can find one second-hand for a good price that might be a good way to go.

-Paul

Can he use one hand & use a wheel controller ?.

I will control my car with one hand using my thumb to steer & finger for go & stop .

Not to sure if this will help , Or how bad the hands are .

Good luck .

I have a friend and coleege who has a kid with CP. He is a great kid and he handels his stickdriven wheelschair skillfully. I was thinking that I shold give him a basher, but he can not use bouth hands... Does it excist anything like a one stick transmitter?

What about rebuilding a stick transmitter. I have some extra transmitters from cheap helicopters where the stick moves bouth ways. I can probably wire this up to some AM gear?

Cheers

Never having had any TX/RX equipment other than old 27MHz, and having taking these to bits myself, I would suggest cannabalising a PC joystick, and mounting the 2 variable resistors from the 2 channels on the transmitter as replacements for the V.Rs in the joystick. Then use an umbilical cable to connect it to the wiring in the TX. A joystick will be much easier to grasp, and the TX can be remotely mounted on the wheelchair elsewhere. If you wanted to have a model with more than 2 channels, the joystick also has the 'hat' which provides operation of additional channels, whilst still being able to operate the entire model with one hand.

If that sounds a bit technical, as others have said, a cheap 4 channel system will be easy enough to convert to have a 2 axis spring loaded motion on either side.

Thank you guys- here was alot to go from! I will talk to him and have a nearer look at exactly what he can use. Maybe he can kontrol a small QD transmitter with one hand? I will start there. I will update you. Cheers:-)

don't forget now there's also RC using bluetooth or wifi to a iPhone/iPad...

On my old Tamiya Tiger 1 tank I set up the 4 channel controller so that all the hull movement control was on one stick, and all the turret control on the other stick. Once you got the hang of it, it's was very easy to control and simple to set up. On a car it would just mean having a 4 channel controller & receiver and setting the steering servo in channel 1 and the ESC in channel 2 on the receiver (so they're both on the left stick). You can then leave the other two channels free or perhaps link them to something that doesn't require adjusting mid run such as lights or maybe a winch control (depending on the vehicle etc). There's no need to open or start rewiring the TX unless you want to change the self centreing mechanisms.