Will16

Optima Differences

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an Optima soon (If I can find one!!) But all the different Optima has got me confused :blink:!

I know there is a Optima LWB, Optima SWB and a Optima Mid. Is there anymore?

Does anyone know the wheelbases of the LWB, SWB and the Mid?

Do the LWB, SWB and Mid share the same Front and rear 'Ends', like the gearboxes, etc. Are only chassis different?

for instance, I would like a SWB, but if I can only get a LWB, can I simply swap the chassis'?

Sorry for all the n00b questions, but I'm new to Optimas!

Many Thanks,

Will

As far as I know, the long and short are both Mids. I never have heard of a long chainsaw. Short is about 260mm.

The lineage went:

Rear engined, chain driven. Aluminium ladder frame.

Optima: 1.6" white rims, lexan body, red shocks.

Javelin: Chrome 1.6" rims, ABS roll cage, red shocks.

Turbo Optima: 2" wheels, lexan body, gold shocks.

Salute: 2" wheels, lexan body that looked like a scalped porpoise.

Optima Limited Edition: Lexan body (Turbo), and some of the optional stuff for the Turbo included. It seemed to be a way of clearing the warehouse of Option House items for the old rear engine chainsaws - in saying that, it had the belt drive conversion included.

Flate plate chassis, mid engined, belt drive.

Optima Mid

Turbo Optima Mid

Optima Mid LWB (available in selected countries - Yes, it was a limited thing)

And there is where my knowledge runs out. All the Mids had a front belt and gear driven rear and either Gold or Platinum shocks and there was very little spec difference. The Turbo had ball diffs and carbon shock towers, but real gains were negligible, unlike the rear engine ones, where the gold shocks make the cars a whole step nicer.

• Like 1

Here you have them all in chronological order as they were released :blink:

Rear motor

- Optima

- Javelin

- Gold Optima

- Turbo optima

- Salute (red)

- Salute (blue)

- Optima Pro

Mid motor, short wheel base (SWB)

- Optima Mid

- Turbo Optima Mid

- Turbo Optima Mid SE

Mid motor, long wheel base (LWB)

- Turbo Optima Mid Special

- Optima Mid Custom

- Optima Mid Custom Special

An image sometime says more...

historique%20copy.jpg

• Like 2

Do the LWB, SWB and Mid share the same Front and rear 'Ends', like the gearboxes, etc. Are only chassis different?

Most parts are the same in front and rear but some cars have gear differentials and some have ball differentials.

for instance, I would like a SWB, but if I can only get a LWB, can I simply swap the chassis'?

No, not just the chassis. You also have to swap at least the top deck and the belt as these parts are longer on the LWB models (last three Mid models above).

And there is where my knowledge runs out. All the Mids had a front belt and gear driven rear and either Gold or Platinum shocks and there was very little spec difference. The Turbo had ball diffs and carbon shock towers, but real gains were negligible, unlike the rear engine ones, where the gold shocks make the cars a whole step nicer.

Not true. The Optima Mid Custom did not have Platinum or Gold shocks. It had something else, I think they were called "black gold" or something (check the picture above).

The word "Turbo" does not give you balls :blink: The Turbo Optima Mid had gear diffs while the Turbo Optima Mid SE had ball diffs.

Hi guys,

Thanks alot for all your help, its really useful!!

Mid motor, short wheel base (SWB)

- Optima Mid

- Turbo Optima Mid

- Turbo Optima Mid SE

So do all these have the 255mm Wheelbase then??

Thanks,

Will

Hi guys,

Thanks alot for all your help, its really useful!!

So do all these have the 255mm Wheelbase then??

Thanks,

Will

Yes!

And the following models have around 273mm wheelbase.

- Turbo Optima Mid Special

- Optima Mid Custom

- Optima Mid Custom Special

Cool, Now I have to find if the body I want is still for sale!!

Thanks again,

Will

Not true. The Optima Mid Custom did not have Platinum or Gold shocks. It had something else, I think they were called "black gold" or something (check the picture above).

The word "Turbo" does not give you balls :D The Turbo Optima Mid had gear diffs while the Turbo Optima Mid SE had ball diffs.

That's right, black shocks (plastic bodies, I think) with silver caps. I lost interest in the linage after they went Mid, so that's my patchiness. The Mids just looked "cheaper" or not as appealing to me, compared to the originals (and thank you for reminding me of the Optima Pro name, another one that was not released in Australia and before the interweebs so pretty well non existent!) but, I guess that was the turning point in the late 80s - early 90's when all buggies did that and hence the demand for 80's cars again.

I actually had a LWB Mid at one point, used. Lasted all of about 3 packs before the idler gear expired... and I was only running a Trinity 427 (16x2) on slicked off Schumaker 4 row's with a 57 chev body out on the street lol. RC drift, 1993 style :(