Johan

Wild Willy 4x4

Here are my thoughts:

1) So this is what WW looks like without his helmet;

2) Very nice detailings, at first I thought W drove through a mud field;

3) Copy right your new chassis design, or we may see it in Tamiya's WW III version;

4) Fill in the grove of the rear roll bars, you filled in the gerry can.

5) Use a real wheel and tire at back and add a working winch in front, and give them your special detailings.

6) Look forward to seeing the final product

7) You get an A+ so far

8) Put in your CV to Tamiya

:)

wow, this would make it worthy of buying a WW just to build our own version of your design

Shapeways eh? Hmmm....Now I just need someone to do a 3D rendering of a Nissan Hardbody truck...

@ Tamiya1/10 : lol thanks, that is a nice list.. and..I know the rollbarr should have been filled, you are the first to notice though.. ;)

as It turns out I am not a "build thread" kinda guy, I have been building my 4x4 Willy and totally forgot to take pictures

So where am I at at the moment? I have mounted all parts .

And Found I need to rethink some stuff:

- some holes need to be predrilled to size, but are hard to reach, so my drill bit could not go in straight. They need to have a small opening on the outside of the chassis, so i can center the bit to the hole and keep it straight.

- the flex in the chassis is alright when the body is mounted, but I will add some extra braces to an updated version to reduce some flex.

-the stock mrc drive shafts need to be shortened, but turn out to be to short for my likings, there is hardly any movement possible anymore, so I need to be on the lookout to find other ones that will fit.

-As i already thought, the rear esc tray is to weak. I don't need to use it because my esc is not stock and will fit between the rear shock towers. But when I make a final version, the stock esc should be able to sit on the tray.

-The motor plate needs an extra space for a screw to fit, and I need to get the holes for the tranny already in place when printed, so I can drill them to correct size, and at the correct place.

-A little notch need to be designed in the main frame rail to leave some room for the gearbox, it just touches and I don't like that.

- I need to figure out what to do with the servo wires. where they leave the servo the just clear the left front spring, but only just. I am worried that in time they will wear.

- despite epoxy, my upperlinks keep breaking, partly because they are to weak, and partly because there is a lot of force being transfered bacause of the driveshaft not being able to slide..

-another issue that needs adressing.. the front axle has no room to twist.. just up and down movement is possible now. This together with the servo wires touching the springs, makes me need to rethink the shock towers, at least in the front.

one major design guideline will have to go. My initial plan was to make a chassis that would take a losi mrc and a WW body, and use as much stock parts as possible, but I think if I let that go, I make live a bit easyer for myself on some points.

Does anyone know if the losi micro crawlers driveshafts will fit the mrc transfercase?

foto-4_zpsc66c0d91.jpg

• Like 1

It has been a while since an update, but I think this was worth the wait. The second version of the chassis has been printed, build and yes.. a test drive. as in any test drive some faults emerged, and that means a version 3 will need to be printed, but for now I am happy. The concept works, now just adjust some details and it will be finished. the motor esc combo is just right, when I change the pinion. wild willy still can go wild but slow is also an option...

Check out the video of the first test run..

[media=]

[/media]

and here are some pictures too..

IMG_0916akl_zpsa824d22d.jpg

IMG_0833kl_zpsaca92802.jpg

• Like 2

Looks cool!!

Suspension looks to be a little loose ( twists to easy) maybe you can adjust the shocks or re position them.

That looks fantastic, awesome job Johan. Do you intend to sell copies of the version 3? I'd definitely be interested...

superb :) , perhaps a rear anti roll bar could be employed to fight the chassis twist/roll ,

i think i'll try shock fluid and springs change first. I am not sure what a anti rollbarr will do on a solid axle.. The chassis will be for sale via shapeways, as are the grill and axle shovle combo http://www.shapeways.com/shops/magicsmodels

you would need a ww body, a mini servo, maybe a motor/esc(or just a smal esc) and a losi mrc for parts. And some handy work too, the lower links are mede of m3 threaded bar and some alu tube. But if I can build it, anyone can... I have bought some more scale wheels too, but the losi mrc wheels will do just fine..

can't wait for this to be available, going to get it for a back burner/rainy day project

I like the head being bigger than the body makes it look more cartoon like. Great idea, 2 rear axles sandwiched between aluminium side plates. Genius!

Steve

@Johan: Thnx looking really cool. I'll try these on my M38. Only need to think of a solution for the front wheel mount. Can be solved.

ok, ok, here we go, after 1 more test drive I decided it was time to release the chassis, the final version is online and available at shapeways. I have the previous version up and running really well, and only some minor improvements have been made to the chassis. When I have the final version I will make a complete build pictorial....

http://www.shapeways.com/model/835641/wild-willy-chassis-for-losi-mrc.html?li=productBox-search

This thread needs more attention, best Willy modification in years!!!!

• Like 1

lol had not noticed that, but he actually does...different haircut though..

Mines on the way!!! It will need some mods to fit my crawler WW but I think it will turn out great. Thanks for creating such a cool project.

James.

Thanks, and I hope you can make it work.. and please do share some pictures. If you have any questions, on how I thought stuff should work, don't hessitate to ask