Sign in to follow this  
Yello

Dissappointed with Pactra Paint

I learned the hard way some time ago that not all paints will adhere well with Lexan however well shells are prepped or primed.

So I used Pactra hobby paint specifically formulated for use with polycarbonate shells, and guess what? As early as a few weeks into the finish, my paintjob starting gaining a mild "frosty" appearance in patches, which was a disappointment in itself. I figured, that maybe I went thick with the pactra paint.

But now instead of just the patches of frost, my Baldre shell has actually started to chip -- there's now real seperation that I can see and could chip away at.

What's ironic is that for the wing, I used an acrylic lacquer paint - gloss white - by Duplicolor made for automobiles (the same sort that in most cases chips and seperates from Lexan), and after so many crashes and smashes this paint never in the least started chipping off. The wing got beat up, for sure, and eventually tore up in two places. But the paint held in tact as if the Lexan were manufactured white.

I'm sure Pactra is not all bad. But I just wouldn't recommend it for everything and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend non-hobby paints. Some of the latter are good, but it depends on the color (not all automotive paints will chip). And some non-hobby paints can be excellent, Vinyl & Fabric paint for instance.

I used "Aqua Wave" Pactra paint which is basically a clear coat with fine blue metallic bits in it. The clear coat-ish nature of the paint accounts for the "frost" that is evident now on the shell (although I repainted quite a few portions of the Baldre from the outside, which I'm happy with).

Lesson is don't use metallic Pactra paint. Or don't spray on more than a coat or two.

Painted my Optima Mid SE with Pactra paints - It came out ok but made me create some new combinations of obcenities.

Yikes -- Not good to hear!

I've used Pactra before in the past and hadn't a problem, but maybe the newer stuff has been reformulated?

I made a special trip to buy some Pactra white at my LHS and they only had three cans left, which of course I bought them all. Noticing the rest of the rack was mostly empty, I asked the clerk when he thought they would be getting more stock. He told me he had no idea because EPA had pulled most if not all hobby paints from the market, and didn't have a guess why.

Lately I have just resorted to ordering paint from HK and just be patient while my package makes it's way across the ocean via boat. (Usually takes about 4 weeks or less :(

Have to say I share your disappointment with Pactra, especially the metallics. One thing I will say though, is making sure the first couple of coats are really light and make sure they dry before building more on. The stuff takes an age to dry and seems to resist sticking to the plastic. I had a couple of goes with it and this was the only way I could get a decent and reliable finish.

Yikes -- Not good to hear!

I've used Pactra before in the past and hadn't a problem, but maybe the newer stuff has been reformulated?

I made a special trip to buy some Pactra white at my LHS and they only had three cans left, which of course I bought them all. Noticing the rest of the rack was mostly empty, I asked the clerk when he thought they would be getting more stock. He told me he had no idea because EPA had pulled most if not all hobby paints from the market, and didn't have a guess why.

Lately I have just resorted to ordering paint from HK and just be patient while my package makes it's way across the ocean via boat. (Usually takes about 4 weeks or less :(

Tower Hobbies has a full line of Pactra and Tamiya polycarb paint in stock right now...

-Paul

Might be time to pick up an airbrush and learn how to work with Parma's Faskolor line of paints.

http://www.parmapse.com/fas1.html

Also check out some of the Spazstix stuff.

http://www.spazstix.com/xcart/2oz-Airbrush-paint/

I was looking around my box of paints the other day; I have way too many partial cans of polycarb spray paint that aren't useful unless I want to do a body with a random hodge podge of colors...

-Paul

Did my Clod project entirely with Pactra lexan paints (Pro-line F-650 shell) and not had an issue with it - just as good 12 months on.

Strange?.. The only problems i have EVER encountered with Pactra paint is if it´s put on in too heavy a coat. As long as the layers are thin, and backed properly afterwards, I have not had any issues at all. This includes use of both spraycans and the type in small jars for airbrushing..

Yeah, not real keen on the new Pactra. The stuff from 6 to 10 years ago was good, the Metallic Burgundy got wheeled out a few times but their new range, nope, don't like.

My problem is, apart from how the spray pattern is blotchy and blobby is the pearl paints that need to be backed with black after two light coats look patchy and the finish is rather poo. OH yes, also the way that it lifts off with any masking when you remove it.

I'll stick with Tamiya, thank you.

Yeah, not real keen on the new Pactra. The stuff from 6 to 10 years ago was good, the Metallic Burgundy got wheeled out a few times but their new range, nope, don't like.

My problem is, apart from how the spray pattern is blotchy and blobby is the pearl paints that need to be backed with black after two light coats look patchy and the finish is rather poo. OH yes, also the way that it lifts off with any masking when you remove it.

I'll stick with Tamiya, thank you.

This.