Wandy

Wild One Re-Release. #58525

Maybe it's because most Wild One fans on TC have already bagged a vintage? I've one for display and a runner so no need for the re-release.

As this re-release is so close to the original, vintage Wild One prices have dropped and I guess most would rather pay less and have a vintage?

Just a thought.

J

I have a FAV built, and another NIB. So I really don't see the need for the WO. I also prefer the styrene body of the FAV to the Lexan of the WO.

I'm guessing it's the price?

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'll be getting one, no doubt about it, but there are just so many other kits I want before it. Next year will be when I get one.

Strange though considering the WO always seemed to be one of the most requested re-re's.

I think it's a price issue and desirability issue. It's certainly no SRB or bruiser. Most of us were dying to have those.

I have the FAV it's become my shelf queen. I wouldn't mind picking up a re-re WO, but it will be used one. Tower has the new kit at $219.. That's too high in my opinion. It should be around $180 tops, right above the Frog.

For the "Mad Viper" project I have in mind, I'm searching for some oldschool looking wheels that will fit to the DT-02 chassis. The Wild One wheels look very nice to me.

1) Will the fronts fit to Tamiya's recent DT-02 "straight" steering knuckles (#555059 & #655059) without binding/rubbing on the inner side, or will only the old "angled" knuckles work? Wild One angled knuckles won't allow much steering with the DT-02 c-hubs. Super Astute angled knuckles might be still fine with the DT-02 c-hubs if the knuckles are slightly modified by dremeling excess plastic off.

2) And what about the rear wheels, do their propietary adaptors need a long distance between pin and wheel thread on the axle shafts like on many old Tamiya offroad cars that use disc adaptors? Or will the short gap of more recent axles using standard hex adaptors work well with the Wild One rear wheels?

EDIT: I did a bit of research. It seems the rear wheels are the same as the Hot Shot ones. The WO uses a thick adaptor for long axles, while the HS uses short adaptors for shot axles.

Interesting to me that there are less than 15 models of this car on TC. Most of the re-res have 50+ examples by this time, either NIB, New Built, or Runners. What do we think the reasons are? Is it because the Wild One was not that popular? Is it the ~$45 street price higher than the FAV? Is it the timing, with the release of the Bruiser? Is it just that Tamiya lately has been jacking the prices up on everything?

Thoughts?

These are hard years, I think that lot of people needs every buck they earn for daily life... personally I limit myself to buy only one kit every year and in 2013 it will be WO turn.

I just finished this car up a few days ago. Still haven't had time for a maiden run.

20121208_194451.jpg

20121208_194528.jpg

• Like 2

I just finished this car up a few days ago. Still haven't had time for a maiden run.

That looks great Omar. The Wild One is on my list for a future build. Good to see you still at it.Steve

That looks great Omar. The Wild One is on my list for a future build. Good to see you still at it.Steve

Good to hear from you too! Haven't talked since fires. We need to get together one of these days and run some cars. I've been on a rally kick as well as getting my race cars running since we have a great indoor off road clay track in town now. :)

Well Santa brought me one for Christmas. Very excited and already half way through the build. Very fun build. I have never see a built one of these so it's a nice treat. I have an original NIB, and back about 20 years ago asked my parents to buy me a body set, thinking some day i would pick up a used one and would have a nice new body for it. Well that never happened but i held onto the body all these years and will be fitting that with the original decals. Never though it would take me 20 years to use!!!

John

Having just got a couple of shakedowns over the last couple of days I have to say it's the buggy I thought it would be all those years ago, the fantasy has been fully satisfied, it's now my top buggy, it's stealing the show from my sand scorchers!

I've got a sport tuned and the frog hop up universal shafts, swapped out the wheels, had to get a FAV bonnet/driver after seeing his big hands lol. I also changed out some of the bolts for hexes, I will do some more when I get some. I'm running a 3700 hump from the component shop, so no sticky out wires for me I made up some side plates.

I had been waiting for my 2.4 to turn up, but put it on the old acoms ap-227 mrkIII for that old school feel and loving it. I'll take some pics soon.

The only bad thing is I forgot to glue the steering wheel so it's flown off somewhere, hope I can find it!

Cheers skywhelp

Having just got a couple of shakedowns over the last couple of days I have to say it's the buggy I thought it would be all those years ago, the fantasy has been fully satisfied, it's now my top buggy, it's stealing the show from my sand scorchers!

I've got a sport tuned and the frog hop up universal shafts, swapped out the wheels, had to get a FAV bonnet/driver after seeing his big hands lol. I also changed out some of the bolts for hexes, I will do some more when I get some. I'm running a 3700 hump from the component shop, so no sticky out wires for me I made up some side plates.

I had been waiting for my 2.4 to turn up, but put it on the old acoms ap-227 mrkIII for that old school feel and loving it. I'll take some pics soon.

The only bad thing is I forgot to glue the steering wheel so it's flown off somewhere, hope I can find it!

Cheers skywhelp

They are great fun to drive. Even on the concrete and asphalt outside it's fun skidding up the rear tyres trying to drift it everywhere, just as much fun down the beach!

I'm just running a four vent johnson with the 18 tooth on 2s, thinking of kicking it up to a sport tuned though, but would need a heatsink on the motor.

A friend wants me to chuck a small brushless in it, but I'm still running the original hex shafts lol

I have an Acoms mkII in mine, love it!

Had mine for a couple of weeks now, just no time to put it together. Plus I have a 99% finished original new build in a box somewhere and a sound but well used original runner that I've just put a new gearbox in so I just don't have the motivation to start on the re-re yet. Oh and when I did get a spare afternoon I decided to throw together an M06 to see what they're like out of curiosity.

I initially bought the rere FAV and since it was my first camo I didn't have the heart to run it and mess it up. So Ive been keeping my eye out for a used re-re Wild One. Its funny none have come up for sale. A few originals yes but Re-re's.. nothing.

Either they are selling and people are keeping or maybe they aren't selling that well.

Well I think bang for the $ the W/O Re re is one of the best Tamiya kits around.

Replace the stiff rear shocks & that's it. Mine even came with a full bearing kit.

Don't think people would want to sell them as they are a awesome looking machine IMO.

Can anybody suggest some suitable replacement rear shocks or even just some softer springs so I can actually get some rear suspension rather just having the back end buck around like a bronco on speed.

Some slightly stiffer front springs would be nice too but I'd settle for some rear end travel right now.

Well I think bang for the $ the W/O Re re is one of the best Tamiya kits around.

Replace the stiff rear shocks & that's it. Mine even came with a full bearing kit.

Don't think people would want to sell them as they are a awesome looking machine IMO.

You maybe right. It is the best handling of the vintage Tamiyas hands down... very balanced chassis. I have the upgraded shocks on my FAV. You are right, they are bouncy. The problem is not with the damper, its those little springs. You can use standard rear springs from a modern buggy and then use a tc shock collar on the bottom and it will do the trick.

Well I found my runner, picked up an original on eBay for $109. It's in decent condition.. Missing only battery tray door.

• Like 1

Here's a question. Can anyone confirm if the FAV wheels/tyres are a direct fit to the Wild One ?

Just bought the WO as my 2nd Tamiya build and would really like to swap the wheels for the FAV ones.

Thanks

Here's a question. Can anyone confirm if the FAV wheels/tyres are a direct fit to the Wild One ?

Just bought the WO as my 2nd Tamiya build and would really like to swap the wheels for the FAV ones.

Thanks

Front wheels are a direct fit. You will need the FAV drive plates to fit the FAV/Buggy Champ/Scorcher/Grasshopper/Hornet wheels to the rear.

The drive plates are unused items on the Wild One A-parts tree.

The FAV/Buggy Champ wheels are 1.75" and there's one tyre type (block pattern). The Scorcher/Grasshopper/Hornet/Frog wheels are 1.5" and there's 1 type of front tyre (smoothies) and 2 types of rear tyre (paddles and spikes). All combinations will work depending on the terrain you're driving on.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Love the look of the FAV wheels/tyres and they do look the part on the WO (sprayed black).

Bought the tyres and wheels of ebay but without the screws to put them together. Now to track them down :)

Just finished my Wild One build, pics to follow in the next few days :)

Bit of a newbie question. Tried the WO on the carpet tonight but when I pull the trigger on the transmitter the WO goes in reverse. I can't work out how to fix this. Any suggestions ?

Btw, I'm using an Ansmann W5 with R5 receiver.

Thanks guys :)