teddyt

is this the ugliest tamiya release ever?

Haha yeah sorry guys, in my defence the problem I have is with the 1:1 cars, not the tamiya models that came after, I just don't like beetles, never have done really, awful car imo.

I've considered getting a sand scorcher to see if I can be converted but I never go through with it, I even have a beetle shell that I got with a job lot that I've not used!

And don't get me started on camper vans!

Is that an Egress in your avatar Wez? That'll be an rc buggy based on a Baja style dune racer then. A car and race formula built around the Beetle chassis?

Just sayin'.

Fair enough you might not like the bulbous looks of the beetle - it's not to everyones taste, but to say it's a "really awful car" is a bit daft when most of the cars that we all build and love can trace their lineage back to that one car. What do you think is particularly awful about it, other than how it looks?

Is that an Egress in your avatar Wez? That'll be an rc buggy based on a Baja style dune racer then. A car and race formula built around the Beetle chassis?

Just sayin'.

Fair enough you might not like the bulbous looks of the beetle - it's not to everyones taste, but to say it's a "really awful car" is a bit daft when most of the cars that we all build and love can trace their lineage back to that one car. What do you think is particularly awful about it, other than how it looks?

Nothing daft about it, have lots of respect for the chassis, I know they are fun and fairly easy to work on, my old next door neighbour was a vw enthusiast, he had a classic beetle, and a impreza powered campervan.

It is literally just the design of the body that I've never liked, new or old, modified or standard, I just don't like the look of them, but I can appreciate the work people put into their 1:1 or 1:10 beetles, they're just not for me.

Just my opinion.

I'm no fan of the Street Devil. But it marks one of those interesting times in Tamiya's history where they try and do something special to appeal to the US Market and somewhat miss the mark. Tamiya is very much a Japanese company and being Japanese is what they do best!

This was not targeted at the American Market,it was for the Japanese market where American cars were very popular at the time, Bolink was popular and Tamiya say that the simple chassis cars that Bolinks were and decided to put a Parma body on a C car chassis. They were priced the same as the super simple Bolinks at the time.

Many people think this was for the American market and its easy to think that way but it wasnt. This and the Daytona car were both designed to battle with the Bolinks here in Japan. Tamiya was doing what the do best giveing the Japanese people what they wanted.

plausible explanation, i'll buy that

let's all be thankful that T didn't try offering these...

P1070942-vi.jpg

:)

plausible explanation, i'll buy that

let's all be thankful that T didn't try offering these...

P1070942-vi.jpg

:)

that looks like r/c rental cars with hacked dirt oval or north east modified's bodies on them.

In a word " YES " it's damned ugly !!! :unsure:

Nice to see you Jman. Thought you'd done a Mark Twain on us :)

well lets hope tamiya don't do a rc car of the nissan juke :unsure: ! now thats an ugly car i wonder if anybody who has one has looked in a shop window at themselves when driving passed :) !!

Nope, its very pretty as it goes. Sonic fighter or Striker........now thats ugly.

lee

Gotta agree with Lee on this one!

OSR

well lets hope tamiya don't do a rc car of the nissan juke :unsure: ! now thats an ugly car i wonder if anybody who has one has looked in a shop window at themselves when driving passed :) !!

HPI Put a Scion XB on the switch chassis. That's nearly as bad.

It is literally just the design of the body that I've never liked, new or old, modified or standard, I just don't like the look of them, but I can appreciate the work people put into their 1:1 or 1:10 beetles, they're just not for me.

Just my opinion.

You dont have to justify to someone else why you dont like something. I have absolutely no love for the volkswagen beetle either.

Still have a sand scorcher, a monster beetle, and until recently a blitzer beetle. Doesn't stop me from thinking they were designed from three balloons tied together though ;)

You dont have to justify to someone else why you dont like something. I have absolutely no love for the volkswagen beetle either.

Still have a sand scorcher, a monster beetle, and until recently a blitzer beetle. Doesn't stop me from thinking they were designed from three balloons tied together though ;)

Ok, you're going to have to get in line for a fistfight after igbandy :D

I grew up riding around on the back seat of a Volkswagen beetle that looked suspiciously like the Tamiya M04-L. Funny thing is, I don't own any of Tamiya's VW models though ;)

Nice to see you Jman. Thought you'd done a Mark Twain on us ;)

LOL mark Twain? More like Lord Lucan :D

So let me get this right . You think the best selling car the world has ever known is ugly ? The car that was the basis of the Porsche ? Its a masterpiece of design with form meeting function perfectly .

So let me get this right . You think the best selling car the world has ever known is ugly ? The car that was the basis of the Porsche ? Its a masterpiece of design with form meeting function perfectly .

If I recall, the Beetle did not sell that many on looks alone, and if the Porsche is a good-looking car it does not necessarily mean its basis was. Something like the Beetle, I feel, should be appreciated more for the balance of form and function, as you had stated, as the Mini Cooper was, and as the Fiat 500 was. It looks to me perfectly acceptable to call the Beetle ugly, even if I do not see it the same way. Good design and good looks are not necessarily the same thing to everybody.

Me, I still like the Striker, even though it is reviled on what appears to be the world over!

Haha yeah sorry guys, in my defence the problem I have is with the 1:1 cars, not the tamiya models that came after, I just don't like beetles, never have done really, awful car imo.

I've considered getting a sand scorcher to see if I can be converted but I never go through with it, I even have a beetle shell that I got with a job lot that I've not used!

And don't get me started on camper vans!

Fancy relieving yourself of that beetle shell Wez-Li ?!?!

Someone watches too much Top Gear. The TG hosts' hatred for Beetles maily comes from their hatred for Germany over the war...

Yes, if you want a performance car they are pretty awful in stock spec, but they look great, are dead simple to work on and modify, and are great fun to drive. They just need a mild tuned engine in them to be properly fun.

- James

Someone watches too much Top Gear. The TG hosts' hatred for Beetles maily comes from their hatred for Germany over the war...

Yes, if you want a performance car they are pretty awful in stock spec, but they look great, are dead simple to work on and modify, and are great fun to drive. They just need a mild tuned engine in them to be properly fun.

- James

The Top Gear Hosts' hatred of the Beetle is probably more RuleOfFunny than anything else since they're fine with most of the other cars produced by Volkswagen (Audi, Lamborghini, Porche etc)

The Top Gear Hosts' hatred of the Beetle is probably more RuleOfFunny than anything else since they're fine with most of the other cars produced by Volkswagen (Audi, Lamborghini, Porche etc)

but they hate caravans so their not 100% wrong :P

- James

To say that the reason for me hating the look of the beetle is because I "watch too much top gear" is ridiculous.

I'm 34 and have loved cars for as long as I can remember, and I've NEVER liked the look of the vw beetle, my dislike started long before TG hit our screens.

I've owned a vw golf gti, and currently own a BMW, which is about as German as it gets, so I have no problem with German cars either .

I just don't like the look of it.

Regards.

Rookie Rabbit with built in carrying handle.

RR2_003-766904.JPG

with a driver who obviously had no legs :P

To say that the reason for me hating the look of the beetle is because I "watch too much top gear" is ridiculous.

I'm 34 and have loved cars for as long as I can remember, and I've NEVER liked the look of the vw beetle, my dislike started long before TG hit our screens.

I've owned a vw golf gti, and currently own a BMW, which is about as German as it gets, so I have no problem with German cars either .

I just don't like the look of it.

Regards.

so Porsche on the way dude :P

with a driver who obviously had no legs :P

Rabbit does look better than the Fighter Buggy RX (same chassis and body). Body seems too short for the chassis to me. The driver head is identical to the Grasshopper/Hornet driver.