mongoose1983

BULLHEAD re-re thread

Decided to open a space here so we can get some specific info on the re-release of one of the most spectacular Tamiya 4x4s ever, the infamous BULLHEAD (personally, I am very excited about it!!!). So if you happen to have any news or pictures of the new Bull Head, well, PLEASE share them with us in here!

You all have a great weekend! <_<

sshot3.jpg

• Like 1

http://tamiyablog.com/From Tamiyablog.

RRP is 35000yen, RC champ will have them for 22500yen.

The Japanese one will come with the new twin motor ESC TEU-106BK. As will all others, I'd say.

Other than that, it looks to be the same as the original.

Oh, July release in Japan.

the interesting part about this image is that it is taken from an information flyer fax sent to Japanese shops.

Been my fav over clod since i was 10! is it going to be limited release? as i just bruiser lol not gona be able to afford a bullhead this year i doubt.

I might even sell my Jugg 1 to fund bullhead, I love the truck big rig style body!

Slight off topic but I just come across Bullhead floating and driving in the swimming pool. wish I knew that I would have kept my Clod.

It doesn't say limited edition in Japanese on that picture. Also the kit number is a standard 58 number.

I'd say it's not a limited edition. But it may only be made for a couple of years.

I messed up on the MAP... it's 22050 yen. Which at the moment is just over $270 USD

I'll grab one. I always hated the way the looked in photos, but when I saw one in the plastic (about 2 years after they were disco'd) I changed my mind completely.

I'll buy one. Previously every time (on 6 occasions) I tried to ebay bid on an original I have always been outbid. A re-re will do fine now..

I can always add a clodbuster shell to the chassis depending on the mood i am in....

I believe Tamiya is using a picture of the 1990 release to promote the new release. I guess we have to keep our fingers crossed for them not to come up with anything funky for a 4x4x4 BULLHEAD. I mean, I expect them to come up with the usual rubbish fake sponsor decals and the ''kustom kolor'' and website addresses that I hate so much, but for heaven's sake, I hope they did not modify that CLASSIC semi body!!!!

I don't think they will modify the body as it was originally kinda generic (anyone notice its similarities with the King Hauler?) while the Clod was a Chevy at one time. Glad to see some interst in the Bullhead. It seems some find it replusive but I love it. Here in the States, the Bullhead was an upgrade from the Clod Buster and Tamiya's answer to the newly release Kyosho USA-1. With its huge semi-tractor body, brightly colored plastics and abundance of chrome, it certainly commanded attention. The funny thing was, after the dust settled it was the original Clod that remained the most popular. The USA-1's quaility and durabilty was sketchy and the Bullhead was too polarizing. You either loved it or hated it. As time past, the USA-1 disappeared and the Bullhead actually dropped in price while the Clod Buster continued to sell strong.

I have somewhere the original tamiya photo card things they used to do, showing bullhead in 3/4 view front and back, looks great, always wanted one ober clod. When i was old enough to get one only jugg 1 was out im. Sure at the time even clod was not available but might be wrong.

Everybody's talking about all of the other cars that might get rereleased. Still no further news on the Bullhead? :lol:

Would be nice to see a re-re with a more up to date body, maybe a body like the old Destroyer monster truck???

desti205a1.jpg

The Bullhead with original body would benefit from a longer wheelbase, always looked too short.

Everybody's talking about all of the other cars that might get rereleased. Still no further news on the Bullhead? :)

Nah, the release is set for mid year so we probably won't see them in shops until late July - early August.

Hey Volksrod, that think would do awesome faceplants ;)

Actually, in Tamiya's weird way of doing semi-replica monsters, like the Clod-Taurus, Pumpkin-Frankenstein, Lunchbox-Rolling Thunder dualities, the Bull Head was actually Big Pete:

That video gave me an idea. Tamiya could release a pack of semi inflatable cars for crushing. They'd just have to be a basic saloon car shape in soft vinyl (like beach ball material) with a junk yard car printed on the outside. Then have a few vent holes underneath that you blow into to pop them up into shape. The holes will also allow the air to escape when driven over. Just for a bit of fun but could a nice addition in with future re-re's?

Crush cars would be good idea!

Id prefer aluminium though, beat em out with a hammer for the next day :-)

Crush cars would be good idea!

Id prefer aluminium though, beat em out with a hammer for the next day :-)

That'd make a good scale video. ;) 20 or so large pie tins from the supermarket. Fold and mold them over 1:18 scale die-cast cars to get the right shape. Then line two rows of the shaped pie tins up infront of a ramp and jump onto them with a Clod or Bullhead. Would crush them near flat. You could even get a bit fancy and brush a bit of cheap house paint onto the pie tin bodies and put a little bit of large bubble wrap inside them so they don't crush so much.

Actually, in Tamiya's weird way of doing semi-replica monsters, like the Clod-Taurus, Pumpkin-Frankenstein, Lunchbox-Rolling Thunder dualities, the Bull Head was actually Big Pete:

About the old monsters: I'd say the Clod was really the 1986 Bear Foot, but well. Big Pete I agree must have been the truck the Tamiya guys were working on to replicate in some way. I think if you look at the old videos, you'd see Big Pete's frame was somewhat longer than the other "standard" monster trucks. But still, the gravity center was placed too high and the truck had stability problems when racing. Now, with the Bullhead the problems were similar, or maybe more pronounced as the body was placed much higher, and the frame was shorter (keep in mind the chassis frame was really replicating one of a pick-up truck!) so the wheelbase was a problem too. But you know, running a BullHead was really an experience. Very very fun thing to run! One thing I still don't get is how high the Clod and Bullhead bodies were mounted on the chassis. That's a turnoff if you go for 1:1 scale appearance. Too high! I guess that's the reason why I never got any of those ESP metal plates that make the suspension travel even longer. Useless and ugly. Ugh.

ANYWAY... fellow TCer VTRSP1 just posted two pictures of the 2012 version and WOW! Since this truck had little or no sponsors both, the box and the model itself, look just like the originals! Great news! :)

http://i125.photobuc...mo/BULLHEAD.jpg

http://i125.photobuc...o/BULLHEAD2.jpg

Yes, Mongoose, I had forgotten about Bearfoot. That was a brighter red. You're right there.

As for the stance of the Bull Head, I think it might be possible to get the body lower on the chassis (at the expense of the "fuel tank" battery covers and maybe a repositioned battery). I have been toying with the idea of making LWB Clod chassis by docking one at the rear of the center "box" and one at the front and using aluminium plate to join it internally - a modified version of their chassis brace parts - and so forth and a bead of epoxy around the plastic, but I don't have access to a band saw or something to do a straight cut. This might be a good reason to find one.

Yes, Mongoose, I had forgotten about Bearfoot. That was a brighter red. You're right there.

As for the stance of the Bull Head, I think it might be possible to get the body lower on the chassis (at the expense of the "fuel tank" battery covers and maybe a repositioned battery). I have been toying with the idea of making LWB Clod chassis by docking one at the rear of the center "box" and one at the front and using aluminium plate to join it internally - a modified version of their chassis brace parts - and so forth and a bead of epoxy around the plastic, but I don't have access to a band saw or something to do a straight cut. This might be a good reason to find one.

Actually, Bear Foot was a blue Silverado back then. ;)

Anyway, if you plan to make such modifications with a Clod chassis I think you're gonna like what my Japanese buddy, Kohki, made extending the chassis and using a nice F-350 body. Check this video:

[media=]

Which one was a red C series then?... It's been a long, long time!

**Edit** Ah, the later Bear Foot was a red Dodge. That's where I got that from. Happy I still have 50% of my marbles.Now that idea is much better than mine, just shifting the mounting points. Better, and more obvious, shame that I am oblivious ;) I also approve of how it looks like he has broken it's back when it rolls. I guess he just screwed it at the pin post points.

Stock chassis Clods really mimic 80's trucks so well in the way they move.***Edit*** Found this guy. MAybe this was the Clod?I can't attach or link the pic, so here's the url http://t2.gstatic.co...QcJpCRgqljQ0Raw

Going back to topic, I have seen the first BullHead re-res turning up on eBay this week. I did not think it was going to be so pricey. $380 sounds a bit steep to me. Why can't we have a good new followed by another good one! :(

Have a look at the new BullHead:

BullHead2.jpg

BullHead1.jpg

Wow looks amazing but its going to be around £300 here in UK if anything like clod shame, as I will not be getting anytime soon after getting a bruiser re-re.

I guess the bullhead is not limited but will not be available for ever like clod unless it sells well i guess!

the Clods were always $400+ weren't they?

for a long time tower had it listed for 219, then with member coupons you could really get a deal plus free shipping.