Kendalboatsman

Rock Crawlers

Hi,

I am getting a small sum of cash from my wife to spend on anything I want and as it won't quite stretch to a 3 speed I am considering a rock crawler. Looking at Modelsport I have settled on a shortlist of a Axial SC10 (probably Dingo), Maverick Scout or a CR01. Does anyone run these and what are their advantages and disadvantages?

Have £350 to spend if anyone wants to suggest anything else as an option.

Cheers

Clive

You've got three different choices there!

The SCX is a more 'scale' truck, as opposed to a crawler, with realistic suspension travel and a ladder style chassis

The Maverick Scout is good entry level crawler with more extreme articulation but the only issue with more capable crawlers is finding somewhere 'challenging' to use them - if you're surrounded by flatlands and no rocks for miles, then an out-and-out crawler isn't gonna be much fun.

With the CR-01, having seen a few competing against Axials/Mavericks, they aren't as 'agile' and seem a lot more top-heavy and cumbersome. They're typical of Tamiya's 'overbuilt' complexity, but the performance suffers because of it.

If I had the ££, I'd spend it on an SCX (due to lack of crawling sites around Oxford), although it'd be the Honcho, not the Dingo.

Not sure where you are in Brum, but Bradgate Park's worth a trip to once you're equipped - search for Bradgate and also Black Rock here; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/advancesearch.asp

They're both within 50 miles of Birmingham according to Google, and both well worth the run and both have scale and crawler friendly terrain

Take a look at http://www.scalerc.co.uk too, there'll be some inspiration there as well although they're a little more scale orientated (Dingo/Honcho style chassis as opposed to Maverick)

SCX is like a real truck, so is more of a scale off roader.

CR01 is too tall, a little narrow on the diff for its height and not the best.

If you want an out and out crawler, something like the AX10 from Axial, or even a G-made would be better for the money.

Concur with all said above... but if you'd like a Hilux scaler go checkout the RC4WD TF2.

For three-fiddy quid budget, that's a TF2 plus a better set of wheels & tyres - assumed you've got electronics.

The Trailfinder looks really nice.

I've got an SCX10. I had to buy everything from the start so mine all in was probably close to budget - mine has the Tekin 55T brushed system and Spektrum DX6i (for the winch and dig)

Mine was a Honcho but never used the shell because I wanted a Cherokee XJ shell (I love a big love of XJs)

med_gallery_1222_96_89128.jpg

med_gallery_1222_96_81830.jpg

Suprisingly good fun crawling over stuff <_<

Chuck a set of 2.2"s on a stock scx10 and it will make a better crawler than a stock scout, ax10 or cr-01.

Why?

Because the scx has a better cog and better link layout than any of the above mentioned stock crawlers.

I would say to go with whichever one looks the coolest to you. I have an AX-10, SCX-10, and a CR-01. They are all capable trucks. All can crawl and trail. I will say I use my SCX-10 more as I take it with me everywhere and it has a light kit installed :) .

I have a pair of scx-10`s (one is a fastrax cage with scx running gear), a Much modified CR-01, an scx chassised D90 with TLT axles, and a few others. The CR-01 is OK, but it isnt as good as an scx10 imho.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think it will be the Dingo because it is a kit and I like building. I was tempted by the Honcho but it is ARTR. Edd were your photos taken at Bosherston by any chance?

I have a couple of spare Touareg bodies which I was tempted to fit to the Maverick for a more scale effect.

i too want an SCX10 :unsure: ... you lucky US buggas get them for $250 pickedup... whereas ROTW is up for $350-400+ :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I think it will be the Dingo because it is a kit and I like building. I was tempted by the Honcho but it is ARTR. Edd were your photos taken at Bosherston by any chance?

I have a couple of spare Touareg bodies which I was tempted to fit to the Maverick for a more scale effect.

Where are you based? or is Kendalboatsman too much of a giveaway :)

Where are you based? or is Kendalboatsman too much of a giveaway ;)

Until 2001 I lived in Kendal, which is when I set up the email address, also into model and full size boats. Now live in SE Birmingham (Acocks Green).

Until 2001 I lived in Kendal, which is when I set up the email address, also into model and full size boats. Now live in SE Birmingham (Acocks Green).

OK, I am running a very informal scale comp on 29th April the site is situated between Lichfield and Tamworth. You would be more than welcome to come along and take a look at the different rigs.

Mind you Modelsport do sell the Honcho bodyset seperately.

The Honcho and Dingo wheelbases are different - 290mm for the DIngo, 313 for the Honcho

You'll probably need new susp. links etc as well as the shell ;)

might be also a few odd detail differences between them, axial chop-n-change annoyingly often

eg plastic shorter links vs metal longer links, glue-on vs beadlock wheels etc

best to check before hitting the BIN not totally sure

Untitled.png

The detail differences even apply to the same-shell models depending on whether it's pre-built or a kit

The Dingo kit has alu susp. links whereas the TR version has plastic

I'd not noticed the wheel-swap before now though, it would appear they're moving away from beadlocks altogether, they're only fitted to the 'discontinued' versions now :P

read somewhere the "TR" spec kits are also no longer available from wholesalers

hearsay Losi also supposedly killed off their Mini Crawler & Comp Crawler? wierd...

Losi Comp Crawlers were going for silly money here a few weeks back (sub £100) but the Mini and Micro versions are still readilly availabe/current

Trouble with the comp is the worm gear drivetrain - good in principle but not so good practice

Tha SCX based rigs are now the Honcho RTR or the Dingo kit - all the others are D/C;

post-1185-1335173794_thumb.jpg

The Scorpion/AX10 crawler's discontinued now too, apart from the butt-ugly Ridgecrest incarnation and even that uses new axles etc.

For anything remotely scale looking then the above suggestions cover those bases. The Scout is a good budget crawler, surprisingly capable for the money and can be improved with some Axial parts and different tyres.

Definitely not scale looking (although you can fit a body over the skeletal frame, is the Gmade R1 - about £235 (minus TC discount) from Fusion Hobbies. Its weak point is the tyres, swap these for true crawler tyres and it'll tackle most things. There is also a new 'stealth' chassis upgrade which swaps the plastic skeletal frame for a metal one that looks great but is equally naked for those who want a scaler look !

I've got my R1 set up for a bit of speed rather than crawling (the latter doesn't appeal to me), and as a buugy alternative runner its great fun. I'm planning to get some 2.2 sand paddles for it, will make a great sand buggy then !

Hi,

I am getting a small sum of cash from my wife to spend on anything I want and as it won't quite stretch to a 3 speed I am considering a rock crawler. Looking at Modelsport I have settled on a shortlist of a Axial SC10 (probably Dingo), Maverick Scout or a CR01. Does anyone run these and what are their advantages and disadvantages?

Have £350 to spend if anyone wants to suggest anything else as an option.

Cheers

Clive

Have you also considered a G-made R1? I got one last year and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Its a great all rounder. Its either a very capable crawler or an incredibly fast rock racer, you can have either set up very easily. Its definitely the most fun and versatile kit I've ever owned. For £350 you get get one plus a lot of hop-up options. Its very customisable. Here's a few of pics of mine in crawler, rock racer and sand buggy guises. As you can see its also quite a scale looking thing too once you have fun adding a few touches of your own.

R13.jpg

14.jpg09-1.jpg

Ok, well I have driven myself almost crazy looking at what £350 would get me and now the final questions.

Initially I will be running with a 50T brushed crawler motor and using a 3300mah 7.2v Nimh battery pack except for any RTR models where I will run the kit motor with that battery. What sort of run time would I get from the following:-

a) Maverick Scout RTR

b)Axial Wraith RTR version

c)Axial SCX10 Dingo (builders kit)

d) G Made R1 with 50T motor

Cheers

Clive

Seeing as you've expanded the shortlist, my choice'd be d) now - GMade's stuff is excellent and the R1 is a cracking kit

Run the tyres 'til you were them out, but if you drill a couple of breather holes in the wheels as well they improve no end.

img169_11052010211204_7.jpg

img169_11052010211204_10.jpg