Sign in to follow this  
bromvw

Waterproof servo

I after a waterproof servo but other than traxxas that seem expensive whats available and any good ? This will spend quite a lot of its time submerged so i need a quality item but hopefully at a reasonable price .

I have seen a few how-to's on here, how to waterproof your own servo. Might be better in your situation?, when they say "waterproof servo's" do they mean they can be submerged or just splashproof?

Might be better to use a servo you like and waterproof it?, looked easy in the videos.

I have seen a few how-to's on here, how to waterproof your own servo. Might be better in your situation?, when they say "waterproof servo's" do they mean they can be submerged or just splashproof?

Might be better to use a servo you like and waterproof it?, looked easy in the videos.

That might be the best bet . I'll see if i can find the thread . Cheers

EDIT - i've found a product called plastidip . you dip the servo in it after applying marine grease to the horn shaft and haypesto - waterproof servo . Might work well on the other electrics on this build too :huh: I'am enjoying the design stage on this build because i'am having to think outside the usual rc box and learning a lot .

Here's Djmedic's video on the subject, I like some of his stuff, he explains things well, think it was Tundra build that got me into his videos.

EDIT, looks like you found the video I was going to link to anyway? :huh:

A lot of higher-end servos are "waterproof" - they have rubber o-ring gaskets around the case and the spline. For example all my Futaba servos (9550, 9541, BLS451) are built that way

If your looking for a brushed waterproof esc check out Holmes Hobbies in the US.

I have had a few and had them on my crawlers that have been completely submerged and still going strong.

They look like a castle esc.

Hope this helps.

If your looking for a brushed waterproof esc check out Holmes Hobbies in the US.

I have had a few and had them on my crawlers that have been completely submerged and still going strong.

They look like a castle esc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that but due to the import tax's to the uk i'am trying to source from within the country as far as possiable . Scale boat ESC'S look like a option .

A lot of higher-end servos are "waterproof" - they have rubber o-ring gaskets around the case and the spline. For example all my Futaba servos (9550, 9541, BLS451) are built that way

I may well go with Futaba as i've always used them before due to the high quality but i'am in two minds now due to the application . I might be better off getting some cheapy items and giving them the plastidip treatment and seeing how long they last .

Don't forget the Mtronics/Modelsport ESC's are waterproof, I have them in most of my cars and trucks and never had an issue with any of them, even my kids managed to totally sink their trucks in a wet and muddy quarry track and the ESC's didn't miss a beat. (Motors didn't last much longer as they were full of mud but silver cans are easy to replace. :blink: )

Don't forget the Mtronics/Modelsport ESC's are waterproof, I have them in most of my cars and trucks and never had an issue with any of them, even my kids managed to totally sink their trucks in a wet and muddy quarry track and the ESC's didn't miss a beat. (Motors didn't last much longer as they were full of mud but silver cans are easy to replace. :blink: )

Well worth knowing , thanks Tony

Cheers Arron

That looks good too . Cheers

Is Traxxas extra expensive where you are? I just got one on eBay for $18.99 US.

Edit - That's £11.71 + £6.16 shipping (Item 270956106334)

Is Traxxas extra expensive where you are? I just got one on eBay for $18.99 US.

Edit - That's £11.71 + £6.16 shipping (Item 270956106334)

We get hammered with customs duty + VAT (sales tax) and a £12 handling charge so i'am trying to advoid imports as much as possiable . On a £12 item i'd end up paying more that its original worth .

The last time I checked, you don't get charged VAT on anything up to £18 inc shipping and the limit for import duty is higher so that wouldn't be an issue either.

The last time I checked, you don't get charged VAT on anything up to £18 inc shipping and the limit for import duty is higher so that wouldn't be an issue either.

Just checked and your right . Cheers