Sign in to follow this  
carparkthrasher

Steering servo beahaviour Mercedes 1850

Hi all,

Playing the long time lurker and no such thing as a silly question card...............

Having finally finished the killer of painting and wire work that goes in to an 1850l, the first test drive presented something that I believe to be a know issue but I wondered if there was a solution that didn't involve relocating the steering servo. The issue is that when on the ground (doesn't do it wheels off) and when applying full steer, testing the indicators for example, the wheels turn as far as they can physically but the servo goes a bit further and then locks itself out in a tricky spot past the midway point and unable to return to centre. With forward momentum this isn't an issue so I am guessing that with the weight on the front wheels there is no give from the wheels themselves yet the play in the steering rig allows the servo to keep turning.

A quick search here has shown the solution as relocating the steering servo next to the gear shift one like on the US trucks (my other truck is an Aeromax). Whilst I might do this eventually, I just want to be able to run the thing at the remaining shows this year so wonder what my options are - simply to never put on full lock when stationary? Modify the servo with some end stops to prevent it going past the half way mark whilst allowing for the travel that matches the wheels turning? BTW - being a tight old bag of sick I have a basic radio that doesn't allow me to modify end positions..........

In my heart I know that the full solution is to relocate the servo - read some interesting things on here about Ackerman steering but for now, how might I get round this so as to not look like a berk at Wings and Wheels as my lorry gets stuck on full lock and careers through the fences or worst still, Ant's traffic lights!

Thanks

Simon

Problem solved. Fitting Carson steering arm and flipping the uprights not only gave better steering but also cleared the issue I was having. Why Tamiya dont include that in the box...............

Simon