Sign in to follow this  
Ralphypants

Wheels & tires DT 02 Sand Rover choices

Can anyone advise me on wheels & tires for my Sand Rover 2012. I want some decent sand tires like on the Sand Scorcher. The only direct swap over i have seen is the Carson set & they are all terrain. Hope to hear back soon, thanks.

The 2010 Sand Rover rear wheels are 2.16". 2.2" tyres will fit on them, but be sure to glue them well. Proline Sand Paw are a 2.2" split paddle. RC4WD have a Sand Storm 2.2" paddle tyre similar to Scorcher.

The narrow front rib tyres do OK in the sand.

If you think these may be too big you could drop back to 1.9" wheels (easy on the rear with the 12mm hex, but harder to find a 1.9" bearing wheel for the front). RC4WD Sand Thrashers rear and front would look more scale.

The 2010 Sand Rover rear wheels are 2.16". 2.2" tyres will fit on them, but be sure to glue them well. Proline Sand Paw are a 2.2" split paddle. RC4WD have a Sand Storm 2.2" paddle tyre similar to Scorcher.

The narrow front rib tyres do OK in the sand.

If you think these may be too big you could drop back to 1.9" wheels (easy on the rear with the 12mm hex, but harder to find a 1.9" bearing wheel for the front). RC4WD Sand Thrashers rear and front would look more scale.

Thanks for your input, i had a look at them but they have a 100mm plus diameter & my Sand rover would look like an extra in "Wacky Races" (nice tires though, shame) My external diameter is around 75mm anymore will load my motor & gears too much.

Thanks for your input, i had a look at them but they have a 100mm plus diameter & my Sand rover would look like an extra in "Wacky Races" (nice tires though, shame) My external diameter is around 75mm anymore will load my motor & gears too much.

My DT02 is running 53x82 rear tyres (Tamiya Super Gripper) with the same Star Dish wheel as the Sand Rover, and a MambaMax 4600Kv motor. With the 17 tooth pinion it's just right. I run the spikes in dirt and on grass and they grip well.

With the slightly larger 95mm 1.9" Sand Thrashers, and a slightly lesser motor than what I use (say 3800Kv-4000Kv) the balance would be maintained. The 95mm measurement I'm pretty sure is to the extremities of the paddle, and not the solid part of the tyre. It wouldn't look so out of place with a 2.2 wheel on the front and a 1.9 wheel on the rear as the overall diameter of the solid part of the tyre is somewhat similar. Finding a 1.9 wheel that looks something similar to the front may be a challenge. You could only possibly use this type of tyre in soft sand (desert or dunes). There's a few buggys that use the larger front wheel with lower profile tyre and smaller rear wheel with thicker profile tyre. Fox and Wild One to name two. I also use the Sand Scorcher paddles on their 1.5" wheels at the same time as the 1.75" front Buggy Champ wheels on models that use this type of wheel in the sand (FAV, Grasshopper, Super Champ).

The Carson all terrain tyres are good, but not good in all terrains. They wear good over mixed terrains but their grip is poor in loose dirt, slippery in grass, and terrible in sand.

As a comparison, I use the same mix of tyres on my 1:5th Baja. Multi-rib front and square block motorcross style on the rear in dirt and grass. An all terrain front and rear on tarmac, sealed surfaced and packed dirt. And a set of single ribs front and sand paddles rear only for the beach or dunes.

I fitted the Blitzer beetle wheels on the back of my sand rover the other day and I thought it looked pretty good.

I have a picture somewhere? I would have fitted the fronts as well, but need a longer axle.

E2A: Picture,

DSCF4526.jpg

My DT02 is running 53x82 rear tyres (Tamiya Super Gripper) with the same Star Dish wheel as the Sand Rover, and a MambaMax 4600Kv motor. With the 17 tooth pinion it's just right. I run the spikes in dirt and on grass and they grip well.

With the slightly larger 95mm 1.9" Sand Thrashers, and a slightly lesser motor than what I use (say 3800Kv-4000Kv) the balance would be maintained. The 95mm measurement I'm pretty sure is to the extremities of the paddle, and not the solid part of the tyre. It wouldn't look so out of place with a 2.2 wheel on the front and a 1.9 wheel on the rear as the overall diameter of the solid part of the tyre is somewhat similar. Finding a 1.9 wheel that looks something similar to the front may be a challenge. You could only possibly use this type of tyre in soft sand (desert or dunes). There's a few buggys that use the larger front wheel with lower profile tyre and smaller rear wheel with thicker profile tyre. Fox and Wild One to name two. I also use the Sand Scorcher paddles on their 1.5" wheels at the same time as the 1.75" front Buggy Champ wheels on models that use this type of wheel in the sand (FAV, Grasshopper, Super Champ).

The Carson all terrain tyres are good, but not good in all terrains. They wear good over mixed terrains but their grip is poor in loose dirt, slippery in grass, and terrible in sand.

As a comparison, I use the same mix of tyres on my 1:5th Baja. Multi-rib front and square block motorcross style on the rear in dirt and grass. An all terrain front and rear on tarmac, sealed surfaced and packed dirt. And a set of single ribs front and sand paddles rear only for the beach or dunes.

Wow, thats a good answer, i will look into those tyres thanks mate. How do you rate the Sand Scorcher tyres, i can get the 1.5" wheels no prob & they wouldn't look out of place, maybe that would be a better idea. Thanks for your input.

Wow, thats a good answer, i will look into those tyres thanks mate. How do you rate the Sand Scorcher tyres, i can get the 1.5" wheels no prob & they wouldn't look out of place, maybe that would be a better idea. Thanks for your input.

The 1.5"/1.75" 3 piece wheels are only for that type of model which use a vintage drive plate. Sand Scorcher, Rough Rider, Super Champ, Hornet, Frog, Grasshopper, Brat, FAV, Pajero, Buggy Champ.

The DT02 uses a 12mm drive hex, which is 1.9" or 2.16"/2.2" wheels.

My example was that I used "larger front wheel with lower profile front tyre and smaller rear wheel with thicker profile rear tyre" combination on many models.

Has anyone seen the Street Rover wheels/tires for sale anywhere? I'd like to lay by an extra set for future use, but nary a set to be found.

• Like 1

Guys, with Traxxas Slash/Rustler/Stampede caster and steering parts, it's relatively easy to fit 12mm hex wheels on the front of your DT02. Check out my showroom for pics. This mod opens the door to a huge selection of 1.9 wheels and tires.

Steve

I fitted the Blitzer beetle wheels on the back of my sand rover the other day and I thought it looked pretty good.

I have a picture somewhere? I would have fitted the fronts as well, but need a longer axle.

E2A: Picture,

DSCF4526.jpg

Would the Blizter Beetle front wheels also fit onto the DT02 chassis without needing any parts modified?

Would the Blizter Beetle front wheels also fit onto the DT02 chassis without needing any parts modified?

You need the Blitzer steering knuckles that have a longer axle to use Blitzer front wheels.

With a lot of tinkering and modifying, it's possible to use the old Tamiya wheels with the DT-02 chassis. See here for more information:

http://tamiya101.com/article_2010_holiday_buggy_modified.asp

That's what I'm doing at the moment, narrowing the car and using Sand Scorcher wheels 'n' tires on front and rear for all-terrain runs, and Hornet rear tires for offroad-only terrain. Will posts pics in the HB2010 appreciation society thread when everything is done.

As Ta-Mark says you would need the longer axle, I don't know if it's a direct fit?, I will try it one day and report back. I think it looks good with the blitzer wheels and it does drive well with them on the back.

I also tried Proline Dirt works but they are too big, the motor didn't heat up but acceleration was reduced significantly.

I have worn out the original tyres all-ready, they didn't last long at all on tarmac. :)

I have worn out the original tyres all-ready, they didn't last long at all on tarmac. :)

I've found that the DT02 behaves quite nicely on Traxxas Anaconda tires - buy those made for the Traxxas Bandit buggy and they fit nicely onto the Sand Viper speed disc (grey) wheels. They don't work that great on the white star dish wheels that come with the Sand Rover or the yellow ones that come stock on the Holiday Buggy though.

I've tried Dirt Hawgs, and while they do fine on tarmac with this buggy, the Anacondas fit better and have less traction roll, but wear just as well IMO. I like the looks better too.

FYI: the Anacondas just plain suck on dirt. Just sayin'. But for tarmac - perfect!

Does anyone know what size these are?

Traxxas Talon Tyres & Foam Inserts 1/16 E-Revo

Or these?

LOSB1165 Losi Mini-T Rear Paddles Tyre & Liners

Will 2" tyres fit on?

Pro-Line Knuckles 2.0 1/8th Off Road Tyre

@Taliesin, Are these the ones you mention?

Traxxas Tires, Anaconda 2.2 Rear

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-tires-...-products/29892

Will 2" tyres fit on?

Pro-Line Knuckles 2.0 1/8th Off Road Tyre

1/8 buggy wheels aren't 2.0" wheels (3.22"). The 2.0 refers to version 2. Proline.

Can anyone advise me on wheels & tires for my Sand Rover 2012. I want some decent sand tires like on the Sand Scorcher. The only direct swap over i have seen is the Carson set & they are all terrain. Hope to hear back soon, thanks.

I have just received from Stella:

Tamiya 2WD off road dish wheels (Black) for DT02. Front and rear wheels are available separately and they have only been available in black for short time.

Tamiya hybrid spike tyres (Hop up tyres for Avante 2011).

The Hybrids are a direct fit and this is what I'll be using for off-road on my DT02. This combo will also work on some older 2WD buggies with hex rear / bearing front such as Astute, Dyna Storm, Bear Hawk etc.

1/8 buggy wheels aren't 2.0" wheels (3.22"). The 2.0 refers to version 2. Proline.

Thanks Mark, on modelsport uk, they have an option to choose tyres by wheel diameter,... http://www.modelsport.co.uk/buggy/rc-car-c...p;MSAttributeID[58]=713 I clicked on the 2" and they came up. I guess it is a mistake on their part?.

I have just fitted Proline Road Rage on the rear of the Sand Rover, they needed glueing but they fit well and I have not seen any wear on them yet.

I do have a bit of road rash on my wheels though. lol

DSCF5506.jpg

DSCF5507.jpg 

Finally got some decent sand tyres for the Rover's that work well! & don't make the car look daft. (if thats possible in my case!) Better than the sand scorcher ones,(not that that would be difficult) Made by Carson & purchased from Conrad uk. Paddles are 5mm deep & tough, tyre 37mm wide & 90mm tall only a bit more than standard. You get 4 in a set 12mm hex all good. Rims are crome finish & tyres are glued these are the down sides but hey they work. Check them out, will post a picture from the beach on Ralph's show room.