Sign in to follow this  
Ralphypants

Motor up grade for 2012 Sand Rover

I'm looking to hot up the Sand Rover, i have a Johnson 4 slot silver can motor thats ok but i like the idea of a brushless. What is the most sensible choice without destroying the car. My guess is anymore than 3300 kv or 12T will blow the gears ect. I am new to all this so bear with me. Advise on an esc would help too.

Many thanks hope to hear from you soon.

I have just put a 9T ezrun system in mine and I have to say it is a bit much, before that I had a 19T brushed motor. The 19T was good but still not fast enough for me so I would reccomend somewhere in the middle?.

There are some good tips in this thread,.......

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=66438&hl=

I have a video of it in the snow with the 19T brushed motor in this thread,.......

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=65762&hl=

I would say that a ezrun 13T would be ideal IMO . Slighty faster than a sport tuned but not over doing it in a light car like the sand rover .Just get a combo deal and your good . Many SRB owners ( sand scorcher ect ) fit this motor as the srb is over powered with anything more .

I'm looking to hot up the Sand Rover, i have a Johnson 4 slot silver can motor thats ok but i like the idea of a brushless. What is the most sensible choice without destroying the car. My guess is anymore than 3300 kv or 12T will blow the gears ect. I am new to all this so bear with me. Advise on an esc would help too.

Many thanks hope to hear from you soon.

The gears are fine with the power. You could bolt crazy high Kv motors into it if gearing allowed, but you only have choice of 17 tooth and 19 tooth pinions. This limits the DT02 to a maximum of around 4500Kv with the standard sized wheels.

Be sure to ditch the aluminium kit supplied pinion and use steel RW Racing (ARW3200-17) or Robinson Racing (RRP0170) 32dp pinions. Aluminium pinions wear quickly and chew up the spur gear.

If you are going to use brushless, buy a motor/esc combo pack. The ESC is usually optimised for the supplied motor. I'm one to only buy quality and would use a Castlecreations SV2 Sidewinder 3800Kv combo with what you're trying to achieve (refer to other thread with the tyres). The Castle is slightly more expensive than EZ-Run systems, but you get what you pay for. Drive the two side by side and it's like night and day in smoothness and response.

Thanks guys, i will play safe & go for a 12 - 13T & change the pinion to a steel one.

If you go for one of the cheap EZ-Run systems keep in mind that the whole number turn motors (9t, 10t, 13t) are a 380 rotor in a 540 can. These motors have fins on the can and come with a 35 Amp ESC. The amount of torque these produce is a bit less than a true 540 system.

The EZ-Run ?.5 turn motors (8.5t, 13.5t, 17.5t etc) are a 540 rotor in a 540 can, so a true 540 sized system. These come with 60 Amp ESCs.

If you go for one of the cheap EZ-Run systems keep in mind that the whole number turn motors (9t, 10t, 13t) are a 380 rotor in a 540 can. These motors have fins on the can and come with a 35 Amp ESC. The amount of torque these produce is a bit less than a true 540 system.

The EZ-Run ?.5 turn motors (8.5t, 13.5t, 17.5t etc) are a 540 rotor in a 540 can, so a true 540 sized system. These come with 60 Amp ESCs.

I was considering buying the smaller 1/18 ezrun motor as I allready have the 35amp ESC. They are really cheap and I had one in my quick drive monster beetle which had bags or torque. It should fit with the adapter plate, and they are only around £6 for the motor and then the speed controller could be purchased seperatly to allow for future upgrades. Just a thought.

Edit2add: I think they have the same size rotor as the larger 9T?, just the 9T is surrounded by cooling fins.

Mark bit of advice . I'am fitting a 55t rc4wd crawler motor to the Ford GPA project . It will drive through a killer transfer box with a 1.1 ratio to T - Rex 60 axels . I think the torque will be ok but how about the speed ? Will it be too fast ? The transfer case and axels are packed with thick marine grease that will slow them down a little i hope as well as adding some water protection . I really dont want to add a reduction box due to the weight and already having the transfer box . Any thoughts ?

Mark bit of advice . I'am fitting a 55t rc4wd crawler motor to the Ford GPA project . It will drive through a killer transfer box with a 1.1 ratio to T - Rex 60 axels . I think the torque will be ok but how about the speed ? Will it be too fast ? The transfer case and axels are packed with thick marine grease that will slow them down a little i hope as well as adding some water protection . I really dont want to add a reduction box due to the weight and already having the transfer box . Any thoughts ?

LOL, you thread hijacker ;) One piece of vital information you left out is the overall diameter of the wheels. From that you can obtain the theoretical overall model speed.

I have a 12t Ez run with a 21 tooth pinion. (yes can be done)

Great match for the DT02 chassis.

I have a 12t Ez run with a 21 tooth pinion.

Great match for the DT02 chassis.

How did you get a 21 tooth pinion in there? There's only holes for 17 tooth and 19 tooth, and not enough room in the gearcasing to move the motor far enough away from the spur to drill new holes. You would have to cut the back out of the gearbox to do it, which negates the whole idea of a sealed gearbox and renders the chassis onroad only.

The DT02 is overgeared with a 19 tooth pinion (8.3:1 FDR) with the kit supplied 540 silvercan motor. 21 tooth is even more overgeared (7.51:1). You'd need to be using 65mm diameter tyres to run ratios like this (touring car wheels).

Easy to do.

People have put in 20t pinion with out too much trouble on this forum. That's how I learnt that you can. You can't compare gear ratios from a whizzy stock 540 motor to very high torque brushless.

With the EZ Run 13t combo & 19T pinion that 5 of us are running at Boondal we are all toped out 3/4 down the sraight. With the 20t it's a lot better.

For are run at the big lakes complex, ( Dirt tracks, Skate bowels, BMX track & veladrome) I fitted the 12t EZ run with a 21t pinion. Still wound out pretty quick but was fast. I didn't have to cut out the back or gearbox. Just used a Dremel with a sanding drum to create a little more room for the motor to go back. This was not neccessary for the 20t . Just enolgate the motor holes. Took 5 min to do. I use this at Boondal nearly every weekend.

I'm starting to think the EZ runs are underpowered compared to Castle & others. Motor never got past 60D temped with my Raytech gun.

Holidaybuggypinion.jpg

HolidayBuggy.jpg

Ok, all done 13t & 19t pinion in Pips car & 12t & 19t pinion in Ralphs. Both going very well, ace fun. Thanks everyone for your advice. Used Etronix from modle sport.