Sign in to follow this  
MSM546

Paint

Basically I have a R470 cab which is already sprayed but im not too happy with the finish.

I was windering if i could simply prime over the existing paint and spray a new topcoat or would i have to strip all of the paint off first???

Thanks

Basically I have a R470 cab which is already sprayed but im not too happy with the finish.

I was windering if i could simply prime over the existing paint and spray a new topcoat or would i have to strip all of the paint off first???

Thanks

just how bad is the paint ? if its just orange peel it may be possiable to use rubbing compound and rub it back to a decent shine . Once done a coat of clear will add the gloss finish back .If you can post a good close up it will be easier to advise you .

its just that the paint is thin in some areas (i think i used too much cutting compound) so i was thinking can i just spray on top of the existing paintwork or would i prime it first and spray the top coat on top???

its just that the paint is thin in some areas (i think i used too much cutting compound) so i was thinking can i just spray on top of the existing paintwork or would i prime it first and spray the top coat on top???

give it a really good clean with washing up liquid and warm water . You should be ok giving it a few light coats over the existing paint .

give it a really good clean with washing up liquid and warm water . You should be ok giving it a few light coats over the existing paint .

Cheers mate :) , will try it and see what happens...

Cheers mate :) , will try it and see what happens...

leave it a week or so before re buffing mate to let the paint fully cure .

I would just knock the shine off with some wet 600 or 800 grit WITH water, then re-coat with the paint of your choice. :)

~ Jeff