Sign in to follow this  
apsilon

Super Hornet - 3rd shock mod?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has done or seen a 3rd shock mod on a Super Hornet? Searching hasn't turned anything up. I'm currently building a CC-01 and a Super Hotshot but have enough bits laying around that I've decided to get my old Super Hornet running again. It's already fully ball raced and I'm going to use the ESC and GT Tuned motor from the Super Hotshot kit.

I just noticed however that one of my axle springs is broken. Thought I may have had some spares but I don't. I do however have several shcoks so was wondering if a 3rd shock mod can be done? There's not enough room in front of the gearbox like on other models so hoping someone has had a brilliant idea in the past.

Cheers.

Thanks but unfortunately no. While it would stop the front of the gearbox from rising and staying there, any shock placed in that position would mean the suspension could only work acorss the axle one wheel at a time. When both wheels hit a bump simultaneously or absorb a landing the gearbox pivots forward into that space. It would effectively lock the suspension up giving it no travel a good deal if not most of the time.

Can you still compress both shocks simultaneously on your Grasshopper?

Yes I can compress both rear shocks together on mine leaving a good 15mm for the 3rd shock. Even with a 540 motor fitted it still wouldnt restrict the movement. The design of this 3rd shock allows enough travel to let the front of the gearbox to freely move right to the top of the slots on both sides at the same time, so what you mentioned above doesn't happen.

Alternatively you could try replacing the Hornet axle springs with the Lunchbox springs, they're much beefier.

The Super Hornet has no space between the gearbox and chassis when it pivots forward. In fact it touches the chassis.

Anyway I've just made some new springs from piano wire so we'll see how that goes. If they don't last I'll try tempring the next lot. I used 0.8mm wire which is almost twice as thick as the stock ones that measure 0.47mm