Sign in to follow this  
tickz

Toyota Monster racer / King Cab Slipping like mad! Help

Hi all,

Its been a while but im trying to sort the Monster Racer I found on a skip!

http://www.tamiyaclu...showtopic=56809

ScreenShot2012-05-20at105141.png

When I found it I needed to buy drive shafts to get it going. its a good car and my son loves it but it slips like mad.

It had a silver can in it and slipped from day 1, I stripped the diff down and cleaned it etc and put ball grease on, put it back together then put a dirt tuned motor in. it still slips like mad, I know that they slip but this seems excessive (even with the silver can in).

before I strip it down again can I ask if anyone has any experience with this issue and how they sorted it. I have goggled and had a look around but Im not getting alot back.

Im wondering if I havnt tightened something up enough?

or I have notice in the instructions it states....14 *differential can be adjusted by using more or less spacers.....(see below)

monsterracerGB1.jpg

monsterracerGB2.jpg

any help would be appreciated, its a good car!

thanks

dave

yep moves but slips like mad until full speed, im just putting it back together, i found that it didnt have the SE7 shims in it at all, ive put some small shims I had lying around in and tightened it right up, gonna see how it moves now.............

update!....sorted! moves a treet now,still a little slip at full but apparently expected.

ive got a dirt tuned in and put a 4300mh batt, and it was flying! I might put an ez run brushless in??

whoever had it before didnt put the SE7 shims in, they could never of had it running correctly, thats why the knobbles on the tires was still good- now they are half gone!

update!....sorted! moves a treet now,still a little slip at full but apparently expected.

ive got a dirt tuned in and put a 4300mh batt, and it was flying! I might put an ez run brushless in??

whoever had it before didnt put the SE7 shims in, they could never of had it running correctly, thats why the knobbles on the tires was still good- now they are half gone!

sorted !!

Those tyres are worth a mint now as they are so hard to find, you will be able to see 10 pound notes fly off everytime you mash the throttle :lol:

Yes the SE7 spacers are what you need to keep this diff running, everytime you sand the ball plates you will have to space them with these and the original

spacers aren't easy to find, plus if you over space/tighten it the balls get flat spots and the diff feels notchy/gritty. But to be honest, it's a waste of time.

The diff is really only designed for the buggies it came in, and even then it's debateable.

That little ball diff struggles to shift the weight of the monsters and Tamiya should have relaced the ball diff with a planetary gear diff when they decided to put this

gearbox in these trucks.

Once you've fixed it, leave a slivercan in it. Try to tell your son not to do the backwards-slam-it-into-forwards thing and it may last you a good while.

READ: Do not put hot motors in this gearbox or you will be back to square one. Do so at your own peril.

If you are feeling rich, save up and look out for a 'Tamiya Super Astute TTC Gear Train', or an 'A&L Lethal Weapon' belt driven gearbox.

Thorp also made some gearbox parts including a new ball diff, but I haven't heard if any other member have had success with this.

Hope that Helps.

Yes as you've found, those little diff springs/shims are pretty important... ;)

The diff balls might have been flatspotted after incorrect diff assembly, would probably remove all the slippage if you replaced those as well as the correct disc springs/washers (the tolerances in those diffs are pretty tight). I'd suggest ceramic balls if you must use crazy power, or you could melt the diff spur gear.

- James

<p>I know very well the issue and it was covered more than one time, here below an old post about this with some info.Hope this help.

http://www.tamiyaclu...king +cab +diff

If you are feeling rich, save up and look out for a 'Tamiya Super Astute TTC Gear Train', or an 'A&L Lethal Weapon' belt driven gearbox.

Thorp also made some gearbox parts including a new ball diff, but I haven't heard if any other member have had success with this.

Hope that Helps.

http://vintageteamaandl.com/