Hibernaculum

R/C Toy Memories - a blog about my car collection, toys, memories & more.

So, after too many years of long, waffling nostalgia posts on TC, it seemed sensible to try to confine most of my R/C thoughts (and pictures and memorabilia) to a specific corner of the web...

www.rctoymemories.com

Just a simple, non-technical blog about my R/C cars, memories, thoughts and occasionally even other toys.

Each post will highlight a particular thing, and I probably have ~25 or so years worth of accumulated toys and artefacts to draw from (so it should keep me going for a while!). Will include many toy-grade R/C cars, as well as hobby grade cars, and decent pics and scans.

Only 10 posts so far, but hopefully enough to get a feel for the idea. Drop by once in a while when bored, and you might find something interesting to read :)

cheers,

H.

...long, waffling nostalgia posts...

Please post more of these

I've read through all of your posts so far. Will there be more soon? :)

Thanks for the comments here you guys (I hadn't checked this for a while, but noticed some referrer traffic today)...

I had a break from posting, during which time there was still a trickle of positive feedback including a note from the former VP of Tyco, of all people. So that got me back, and recently I've been posting more regularly (and hope to keep that going). It's really just whenever I have time and enthusiasm, and the light coming into the house is just the right level for photos ;)

The feedback is appreciated though, and hope you all enjoy the read. Oh and don't be alarmed if non-R/C things are posted as well. The goal is to waffle about various retro toys, but really, 90% of posts will be about RC stuff.

If you want to stay completely up to date with new articles, options include creating a free account on www.wordpress.com and then just clicking "Follow" on my blog. Or there's also RSS.

cheers,

H.

Good to see there are continuous updates now. You've got me hooked as a regular reader. :)

I watched the video, and found the most interesting bits about the manufacturing techniques involved. When you look at the investment in manufacturing technology, it is quite amazing how advanced the automation and production / development techniques were, especially considering the video is circa 1991. Even more so when you consider that all the effort and technology is going into something that is just a hobby product. Mind you, the CAD / modelling software is certainly showing it's age now. Most people have better rendering technology on their phones now. Would be very interesting to see the modern equivalent now, to see where they are with their manufacturing techniques. Probably got a booth they can drive a 1:1 model into, and high precision lasers can scan the shape straight into a computer in 3d. :)

Just a brief notice here about an update to my website... ^_^

After being a bit quiet over the last couple of years, I have recently upgraded my site and added a big forum area here: 

https://rctoymemories.com/forum/

It's not intended as competition for these TC forums (nor will it ever reach that level of popularity :lol:).

The focus is the same as my website...

1. Any vintage R/C cars pre-1995 (kits, toys, anything)
  2. Collecting, restoring and originality (but not mods/hop-ups/upgrades)
  3. Sales, Trades & Wanted

Point #2 is what makes it a bit different to other forums. :P  Since I am such an originality nerd. I've decided to keep the focus of the forum on collecting/enjoying/restoring old R/C cars as they were originally intended to be. Which is usually the way most collectors seek them out. So if the words "vintage", "collector" and "original" form part of your love for the hobby, and you're not bored by my rambly posts and articles, feel free to stop by, post a topic and join in. As always, my site is and will always be 100% free, ad-free and self-funded. It exists for no reason other than the fun of the hobby. And because I write too much.

I'll be writing extra posts in the new forum whenever the urge gets me. In addition to annoying everyone in the vintage forum here on TC with my lengthy monologues :rolleyes:

cheers,

H.

• Like 3