Sign in to follow this  
jujutsuboy

Super Hornet - Alternative Wheels

Hey all. Just workin through my first restoration/custom with a knackered Super Hornet. Have a plan for sorting front suspension (as there was none!), RW pinion in the post, servo and steering all ok (ish). Absolutely not bothered about originality so am looking for some suggestions/advice on replacement wheels or easily available alternative tyres for the original wheels (which are in ok condition, at least when cleaned up!).

I have some radshape 12mm hex adaptors for the back, so pretty well assume any standard buggy wheels will do for the rear, but not so sure about the front because of the restrictions of the axle lengths.

Any thoughts or pointer???

cheers all

The axle length is the same as the modern DT02 chassis cars, so any of those wheels will fit, and they're 2.2 inchers, so any modern buggy tires will work. Or if you wait a bit, re-re Wild One tires should be available soon, and they're the same size as your stock wheels.

Alternative wheels that can be used are 53086 & 53085 (star dish) or 51206 and 51205 (Astral dish). Search Ebay. These are front and back which I was going to use as a backup if I couldn't source wheels for my super hornet project. Lucky enough I only needed the front of the original super hornet style which are available from hobby stores, however the rear are rare. You can check my restoration project via my showroom. Best of luck with the project.

Cheers Jeffro QLD Australia

The Carson wheelset from fusion hobbies should also do the job - a few Holiday buggy owners have used these wheels, although possibly not the best style for a Super Hornet..

http://www.fusionhob...k-p/c900027.htm

also check the hobbies section on www.conrad.com as they do REELY wheels and tyres - I have soem of their black disc wheels on my Astute and they work fine (standard 1150 bearings for the front), are pretty cheap and delivery/ service was excellent.

http://www.conrad.co...SHOP_AREA_32422

Aren't the Super Hornet wheels the same wheels as the Wild One or Fox just moulded in a different colour? With the Wild One about to be re-released it should make the wheels (white) and tyres plentiful again.

There's also very nice alloy wheels made for the Fox and Wild One. I have a set on my Fox, and sprayed them in Tamiya clear yellow to make them look like the original plated Fox wheels. It was cheaper to buy the alloy wheels and paint them than it was to buy original gold plated wheels, not to mention how much stronger they are than the plastic ones around the centre (both sets of my rear plastic ones are cracked out around the centre hole).

If you don't mind my asking, which wheels and tyres did you buy and from where? I'm just getting my Super Hornet back together and while I have the original wheels and tyres unused, I'd prefer to run a different set. It's currently wearing the wheels and tyres from my old Pajero (same style as seen on the Brat etc) but the wheels are pretty beat up and the tyres bald. I never applied the stickers or painted the body so some black wheels would be cool.

Ok. Carson wheels arrived, and they look awesome (from Fusion Hobbies, UK). The only thing I am a bit confused by, is that they appear to be an identical size to my old super hornet wheels????? Are they really 2.2? The package said they were for DT01/02 chassis.

Anyway, doesnt matter as they look ace!

Pics coming.......

post-37414-0-92973500-1337962640_thumb.j

post-37414-0-55796300-1337962655_thumb.j

post-37414-0-82459400-1337962665_thumb.j

Pretty happy with progress, though still few jobs to do, then can hit the cosmetics: better steering arms and add some weight to the chassis to help the suspension a bit. Then complete strip, grease and clean, respray the bits that some previous muppet had decided ought to be blue (grrrrr), then on to the bodt which needs some minor repair, stripping and painting.

Likely to end up black with some lexan blacked out windows.