Sign in to follow this  
Frank McNally

Battery Pack for Tam Tech Ferrari 643

Can anyone help me on which type of battery to go for and possibly where to get it for my 1/12 Tam Tech Ferrari 643?

I've either been duped on evil bay or it doesn't work with 4 x 1.5v AAs. It's apparently rated at 7.2V for a battery pack but comes with a plastic insert that fits 4 AAs. Am I doing something wrong?

I thought I got a really good deal with it since it was boxed with the chassis only part complete and the body parts still in their packets but if it doesn't work then it isn't quite as good as I thought...

Also noticed that I can't find many of these around, are they quite rare?

p.s. is £165 too much for an original, new in box Midnight Pumpkin?

Thanks in advance chaps!

<p>Can't help too much at all with the rarity , but if you look at model 99992 Tamtech in the listings on the main tamiyaclub site here aren't too many 643s in amongst them.The current Tamtech buggy series take 7.2V sub-C style battery packs - you can get these from various places but vapextech website is always worth a look for NiMh ones

Percymon,

I had a look at the Vapextech stuff and did see something that looked vaguely similar in shape - I should really get my finger out and just measure the size of battery case...

I'm almost positive it's not the sub c type (they would be too thick - I wanted to say girthy, but that wouldn't sound right. However, I did come across something called Mini-T which looks like it could fit...The the only way I can describe it is that it should be the size of 4 AA batteries lined up side by side.

I'll have a good look through the Vapextech website as I had only previously seen their bits n pieces on ebay.

Do you have a build manual ?There are several battery packs on ebay designed for more 'toy' type RC verhicles - my son has a 9.6V pack in a hovercraft, that is in effect 8 AA batteries arranged in a 4 x 2 cell layout. I suume you also need the mini Tamiya plug connection.

Do you have a build manual ?There are several battery packs on ebay designed for more 'toy' type RC verhicles - my son has a 9.6V pack in a hovercraft, that is in effect 8 AA batteries arranged in a 4 x 2 cell layout. I suume you also need the mini Tamiya plug connection.

Oh, yeah, I probably do need that...I've only just realised what Mini-T stands for now... that's embarrassing :rolleyes: Yeah, I have the manual as well, I'll have a look at that tonight and see what spec it says the battery pack should be. I should really have thought about that first...I'm a beginner, forgive me!

I've just ordered a Tamiya to Mini T adapter in order to charge it, when I find it that is. If I found the right pack size and shape but it had the wrong connector, I'd just snip the one off the original battery holder and solder it on. That should be OK shouldn't it?!

Now, that looks exactly like the right thing indeed! Added to watch list until such times as I can check the manual.

Pricey for used, don't you think??? :huh:

Now, that looks exactly like the right thing indeed! Added to watch list until such times as I can check the manual.

Pricey for used, don't you think??? :huh:

sure is, especially for such a low capacity nicd pack - i dare say vapextech could make you a NiMH one for less ! At least once you know what to look out for another used one might come along for a few quid on eBay. Some cheaper NiMh options that might turn out to be the correct dimension for you..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2565e29be3

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19cf9fd48d

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b9463fce

I think all 3 of those might be too big... The earlier one you posted - the vintage one - was bang on...I'm sure! I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for your help...AGAIN!

Yup, it's definitely one of those Tampack ones (what an unfortunate name - I don't think they thought that through).

Seem to be quite hard to come by...do any members have any lying around for sale???

I'll send an enquiry to Vapextech as you suggested, Percymon! Thanks!

Good thinking, I'll do just that!

I've also asked Vapextech, just on the off chance they can make one up...how hard could it be? :rolleyes:

Balls, Vapextech can't help at all...

Need to make an offer on the ebay one or hope that some lovely forum member reads this and takes pity on me!