jujutsuboy

Tamiya motor mounting plate - alternatives?

Hey all, as I gradually work through my latest project (super hornet), the manual states to use one of those carboardy heat insulating plates between the motor and the gearbox. Unfortunately I do not have one (and to be honest, seems a shame to have to order a single item like that!), and any others I have are firmly attached to other cars.

The question is, has anyone simply cut out a plate to fit from suitable material, and if they have, what material will do the job?

Feels like a bit of a daft question, but hey ho!!! :P

Not sure you really need it, unless it will bug you that it's not there. I always seem to lose them after a while, and they don't fit aftermarket motors well anyway.

Hey all, as I gradually work through my latest project (super hornet), the manual states to use one of those carboardy heat insulating plates between the motor and the gearbox. Unfortunately I do not have one (and to be honest, seems a shame to have to order a single item like that!), and any others I have are firmly attached to other cars.

The question is, has anyone simply cut out a plate to fit from suitable material, and if they have, what material will do the job?

Feels like a bit of a daft question, but hey ho!!! :P

The cardboard works as a gasket to prevent dirt from being sucked through the motor and into the gearbox. You can make a replacement piece from a kit box or an index card, but without a plastic coating like the original you will have to replace them if they get wet.

I understood it helped to insulate the plastic mount from the motor should it get hot during use. Obviously hot plastic under stress can warp and it's doesn't take a lot of movement to get a pinion gear out of alignment. I've cut them out of cereal packet cardboard and not had any probs with them.

Just rebuilt my super hornet did'nt bother with gasket, and have had no issues

but I don't thrash/bash mine

Just rebuilt my super hornet did'nt bother with gasket, and have had no issues

but I don't thrash/bash mine

Well, like I stated above, they're made to keep the dust out of a "sealed" gearbox, but I suppose one is entitled to preferring a dusty box. :D

Well, like I stated above, they're made to keep the dust out of a "sealed" gearbox, but I suppose one is entitled to preferring a dusty box. :D

Have to agree. On the various auction toys I've bought since I started my collection I don't think I've ever put the "gasket" on any of them. They're all runners and I've never had a problem with dust getting into the gears.