teddyt

USA-1 Nitro Crusher-- just got one

Hi guy's

well at the local carboot today i picked up a complete (thats what he said) kyosho USA-1 Nitro Crusher completely stripped down to nuts and bolts

so i gonna be a busy boy :unsure:

are parts for these easily findable, and tips do you have on rebuild would be helpful.

Last butnot least whats one of these worth as don't won't to spend loads more than its worth :D

download the manual from www.competitionx.com would be a good start and check you have everything. Kyosho manuals are pretty good but not as well laid out, or as easy to follow, as Tamiya ones.

I have had a quick check and all appears ok only screws missing if anythingDSC_0053.jpgDSC_0056.jpgDSC_0055.jpgDSC_0054.jpg

That counter gear is a ***** to get right, but it's a cool truck once you get it going...

Also it has one of the nicest looking body of all R/Cs...

I don't think it's worth much though...

Also, I might have a alu radio plate laying around, if you are interested...

Hi DCLXVI,

if all goes to plan and I can get it finished I would be very interested in the plate or any other parts you may have please let me know how mu8ch you want for the plate

many thanks

Graham

...Also it has one of the nicest looking body of all R/Cs...

Whoa! hey! let's not go crazy now! ;)

I have three of these's trucks and only run one. The counter gear will fail if not properly maintained.The wheels will break because of the weight of the truck. The shocks leak all the time and the pinion gear will strip out easy in the rear gearbox if no properly shimmed. I have solved some of the common failures with aluminum wheels, new shock towers to accept the tubo burns or other long stroke shocks, and replaced the pinion gears with hardended ones and shimmed the diffs properly.

whats the best way to set the counter gear ??? and how will i know its right

Use a piece of paper to adjust the gear mesh but that is not the real problem Over time the counter gear shaft will wear out and the bearing will go out.

Wasn't the USA-1 Nitro the grandady of all the monster trucks? I had my for about 3 years as NIB, than built her with all electronics added and she sat as shelve queen for another 3 years. Finally decided to get her started, but the radio broke so she when back on the shelve for another few years before selling her as new built and never run. Once you got yours going, please tell us how she performs and if she can keep up with the current stuff or she is a granny.

hello,

lucky find and very nice restoration :)

you won't need the counter with USA-1, just use BS11 or is you prefer a steel spur gear use BSW19 (you'll need BSW34 to use BSW19) and follow the below steps:

Good Luck ^_^

spurgear.jpg

Thanks INTEGRA FAN

as soon as i get time I will look into this :)

Nice job on the USA-1!

I have a great condition Nitro USA-1 chassis that I would like to get going, I bought a GXR .28 for it which is sitting in the hole but haven't made engine mounts
and to be honest I'm a little scared to use that motor OR the truck for fear of wrecking it.

May also look into INTEGRA FANs trick. INTEGRA FANare you just running the 13 tooth clutchbell directly off the BS11 spur now?

Warning!!!! don't use the Bs11 main gear alone. The clutch will burn up. The huge tires need the counter gear. I have tried this and you can't do any weheelies.

Hi,

BS11 is made from plastic, its cheaper but not a durable gear. Even when using BS11 with Burns (the Buggy) it was weak, it'll not last for long.

No clutch issue at all, I remember using a 11T clutch bell or 12T.

but that was in 1992 to 1994, engines were putting only 1.2 to 1.5 HP, today even the economical .21 engine can put much more HPs that's why you'll not need 11t or 12t, just go with the standard 13t.

if you can find and afford BSW19 (steel) + BSW34 then go for it and you'll have a bullet proof USA1.

a more durable custom version of BS11 is here also:

http://www.ebay.com/...234529005066356

read the feedback also.

Regards

The center diff housing is the same for the burns and Usa-1. I dont see anywhere in the manuals a bsw34? I an using the main gear from the Usa-1 in my burns and Inferno. I machined a new diff housing to make it work. Upgrades I have made are aluminum wheels, aluminum radio tray, new shock towers to accept the turbo burns long rear shocks a new stronger servo saver and put in the BSW01 pinion gear rear only. I am only using RFB, VFB and Exb engines right now.

Im considering the RG now as parts are hard to find for the older engines. I see the engine your using is a RXb. I have some new engine parts if interested.

I converted 2 of these over to brushless for other people. They really haul on a 2s lipo. I used a hpi 1/8 buggy motor mount and a castle 2200kv motor and a leapard 2300kv motor in them with NO counter gear setups.