Skottoman

Skottoman's Scania R470 Build

I'm going to be starting up my Scania R470 build. I've collected all the pieces I need and will start the build this week.

Who knows how it will end up? Should be another fun build, that's for sure...Will be built with a 60T motor, MFU (for ease of install), and some awesome RC4WD Budd wheels!

Ready to go!

r470_1.jpg

r470_2.jpg

Ha, you'll probably finish this before I finish my Aeromax, I'll be here watching your progress.

I might get to prime mine today if the weather stays ok

Budd wheels. Yes, I know they're commonly found on USA trucks, but I think they will look good on this Scania.

Great detail on these for sure... All metal as well.

r470_3.jpg

Budd wheels. Yes, I know they're commonly found on USA trucks, but I think they will look good on this Scania.

Great detail on these for sure... All metal as well.

r470_3.jpg

Those do look good. I like the color too

Waiting for some ball bearings, so getting to painting the body parts - Testors Hugger Orange.

I see what people have talked about the incorrect steering geometry, but I'll leave it as is and test it first.

r470_9.jpg

r470_10.jpg

r470_11.jpg

r470_12.jpg

Hey Skottman,

Surprised to see someone in the US building a Euro truck!! Looks great!!

Are you going to paint the frame red also?? I am currently building the same kit, but without the MFC, I'm saving that for my King Hauler.

I love those wheels...where can I get some??

Nigel

Nigel, the wheels are hard to come by, but when they are available, they are on the RC4WD site.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Semi-Truck_c_130.html

No I'm leaving the frame black, but have painted most all of the body work... it's actually a more "neon" orange. Will show true color when it's finished in the daylight...

Yes, I'm in the US, but I'm a huge Euro fan. Been there 10+ times in the past 20 years, so every 2 years or so...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Yes, I'm in the US, but I'm a huge Euro fan. Been there 10+ times in the past 20 years, so every 2 years or so...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Funny that... I live in the UK, but am a huge US fan. I used to live there and have been back about 10 times since... Last time was 2008 in OC, LA.

I guess the grass is always greener???

Nige

Realy keen to see the truck/wheel combo,unusual but i think it will look great,those white wheels are very nice B)

Haven't done much building, as I'm waiting for ball bearings (arrived just in time for the weekend!).

So I started getting the basic painting/clearcoat out of the way. Testors Hugger Orange lacquer, with Testors Wet look clearcoat.

The metallic black is Testors One coat lacquer. And it REALLY is one coat! Amazing paint that looks like a basecoat with clear all in one shot.

I'm impressed by these Testors paints... The roof clearcoat is almost perfect, no need to even wetsand. Just a buff and polish later... Amazing. (Sorry these photos didn't turn out that great.)

r470_14.jpg

r470_15.jpg

r470_16.jpg

r470_17.jpg

More progress, gettin into the meat of the project now!

Had an issue with the wheels (you can see in the post above this one, that the hole is larger than the axle!)

Plus the hubs did not have enough depth to screw down onto the wheel...

I ended up putting some shrink tube over the axle, and then used an O ring to tighten the hubs agains the wheel. All is well!

r470_18.jpg

r470_19.jpg

r470_20.jpg

r470_21.jpg

#1 That colour is great

#2 Those wheels are going to really look swell (Even though they had to be "adjusted to fit")

#3 You are making me want to get my Scania & mfu project out !

#4 What is that silver tape you used to wrap the shocks ?

#5 Great thread

That is all :).

#1 That colour is great

#2 Those wheels are going to really look swell (Even though they had to be "adjusted to fit")

#3 You are making me want to get my Scania & mfu project out !

#4 What is that silver tape you used to wrap the shocks ? ((( I would say he sanded them .... )))

#5 Great thread

That is all :).

If you look at the first photo of the *pink* shocks, you will see a sheet of chrome sticker sheet.

I believe I got it at Tower hobbies (although they don't appear to have it any more!). I simply cut and wrapped the shocks. Paint does not stick to the shocks. Although on my Knight Hauler, I painted them silver, and then wrapped them.

Also using it in many other places on the truck, as I'm going for a bit of a "bling" theme. (Ordered some chrome precut stickers from ebay for the emblems, etc).

Cheers,

Skottoman

If you look at the first photo of the *pink* shocks, you will see a sheet of chrome sticker sheet.

I believe I got it at Tower hobbies (although they don't appear to have it any more!).

If you find a place with a replacement, do let me know, me want !

If you find a place with a replacement, do let me know, me want !

Search ebay for chrome vinyl sticker and you'll find plenty of vendors...

I may order some in different colors!

Still doing all the chores I have to do before I can actually assemble this thing. There are a lot of painting details that need to be done (if you want it to look good IMHO).

I like contrast. I used regular house window screen for the mesh (instead of the small mesh that came with the kit), and painted it white to match the wheels (So you could see more flat black behind the mesh openings). Had to flat black out a LOT of the cab for everything to look good. Hate it when you see body color where there should be black. This masking many times was a pain! (because I didn't realize how much of the cab needed to be flat black, as you can see from the first photos. Future builders, take note! Stupid me, read the instructions!!!!) :)

But now I think the cab is ready to be assembled... although............... I may have to spray the interior black, or at least build out a full interior if I can get it to fit with the MFU!

more photos.

r470_29.jpg

r470_30.jpg

r470_31.jpg

r470_32.jpg

<p>Fantastic work so far Skottoman, this is going to make a lot of people want to buy this truck.

I really look forward to build threads.Edit to add: I wondered what the shiny stuff was in the damper pic, thanks for explaining.

Thanks Stinkus! I love making people want to buy stuff... it's payback for all the stuff I've bought from watching the TC front page updates!

EDIT to my previous statement that I think the cab is ready to assemble. WRONG!

So many things to paint, of course now I have to install a hinge with a spacer that is on a WHITE sprue. That means, once again, back to painting up 2 small spacers black so they won't look stupid....

Oh the lengths I go to to make it look they way I want... Haha! :)

Here are the 2 little spacers I had to paint, as well, as I decided to put some "Frost Yellow" on the back on one of the aux lights.

Front end is wired and coming together. That's 10 lights just in the front bumper! Visual contrast with the grill is working out as planned!

r470_37.jpg

r470_38.jpg

r470_39.jpg

r470_40.jpg

r470_41.jpg