Sign in to follow this  
Rally Man.

TL 01 Rally conversion

Hello there,

My Dad has a TL 01, and would like to turn it to an off road rally car, Really he needs to know how to raise it up and protect the battery which hangs out the bottom.

Thanks for your tiem!

-Chris

Fit a set of rally block tyres. Fit a set of longer oil dampers (CVA mini #53619 with the longer lower eyes fitted). Fit a full set of bearings. Plug up the unused motor mount holes (21T and 23T sets) to prevent ingress of dirt into the gearbox. Use a steel pinion (RRP1119 or ARW0600-19). Hit the dirt. I would also fit adjustable upper links so you can adjust the cambers.

The battery should be fine. Ni-MH packs fit into the chassis without issue and it may mark the shrink if you bottom it on a sharp rock. Hard case round edge Li-Po packs fit into the chassis fine. The longer 138mm Li-Po packs (IP4000) will stretch the battery stoppers a little bit (or you can elongate the holes some). 134mm/135mm round edge Li-Po packs are the same dimensions as a Ni-MH/Ni-Cd. Do not use soft pack Li-Pos in cars (the only type of pack where you would need protection).

It depends what you really want to do - if it's going to run on flat but not smooth surfaces you might be able to get away with longer shocks and different mounting points.

If you really want to get some ground clearance you really need to fit some arms from the TL01B which are much wider, but will allow you to get some reasonable height. The battery is a bit of a problem - I've seen people fit a piece of alloy plate to the bottom, but in truth you're never really going to be able to protect it the way the battery fits into the chassis ...

[Ninja'd by Mark as I typed! :rolleyes: ]

Hello again, We have found the CVA mini #53619 on ebay, but they don't come with springs, sorry if I'm being stupid its just me and my Dad are newbies to RC. What springs should I get? :wacko:

Thanks for your time and help! We are very grateful! ^_^