B.M.T.

Crunchy Falcon

A question on behalf of a friend.

He's not a noob at all, but has just built his very first Tamiya Falcon. With the driveshafts in, the drive line is, as he described crunchy... to the point that you can't roll the car along a surface because the rear wheels lock up. It's not over extended or anything, even with the suspension compressed and the shafts level it still binds.

I never had this trouble with my Striker or S.Fighter (same shafts), so I thought I'd ask here.

Is this normal for a Falcon to have binding issues in it's half shafts?

No The falcon should roll smooth and quite. Pop the dog bones out and check the ends where they come off the sprue. Make sure all the flashing has been removed. Secondly check the bearings in the trailing arms are fully pressed home. They should be flush in. The next thing to check is the diff alignment pin. Its the turned pin that sits inside the ends of the two drive cups in the middle of the diff. If this has not seated correctly or is too long it will cause binding. Beyond that it could be an poorly aligned pinion. Is it a new built falcon or a restoration ?

Thanks Sgt., that's a big help. I've never owned one myself, so I have no idea about the idiosyncrasies.

It's a new build, but the dogbones were missing and were obtained as n.i.p. spare parts.