Skottoman

Skottoman Reefer Trailer Build

Ok, so I was convinced that I needed a trailer for my "Hugger Orange" Scania.

Reefer it is! (Just fun to say "Reefer") Will be matching paint colors to the Scania. I bought 12 cans of paint/clear/primer!

Thread to document build as I get to it...

The goods (Minus paint)

reefer_1.jpg

Can't wait to see this Skottoman!. I really love build threads, and i will be needing a trailer for my scania, so keeping a close watch on this one!

Colin.

That's a LOT of parts! Woohoo!

Tons of work to do here... Makes building an M04 seem easy as can be!

reefer_2.jpg

Another build all ready?, you must be part of the Tamiya marketing department, making us drool over your threads and making everybody want to buy more Tamiya's.

Keep up the great work Skottoman. :D

Well you can consider this an extension of my Scania build. Kind of like I did a flatbed trailer build after I finished my Knight Hauler...

...and no, I don't work for Tamiya. Hahah....

Started the build... This is kind of the boring part until I get to PAINT STUFF!

You'll notice the 3rd axle is setup for steering. Manual has instructions to lock, so you could get creative like TC member Ant88, and build a servo tray for rear steering. I am not going to do that.

reefer_3.jpg

reefer_4.jpg

TONS of screws/nuts on this thing... Basic suspension complete. Now I have to start painting bits before installing... Wooohooo. Bring on the ORANGE.

reefer_5.jpg

reefer_6.jpg

reefer_7.jpg

reefer_8.jpg

Sheesh, all these trucks, for most of us your workspace is where we'd be sleeping, outside in the conservatory, your wife must be very understanding :D

Heh, if you get in trouble you could always say: "Hey, you started it!" :lol:

So does the Reefer not come with all the provisions to run the servo?

If it were me I'd have the reefer on the hauler and flat bed on the scania, long tractor + long trailer, short tractor + short trailer.

What am I saying, I love all your trucks regardless :wub: I can see why you love them too

Dare I ask what number 4 will be?.... :ph34r:

Haha... #3 truck will be a Mercedes 1850L.

I'm making the reefer to fit the Scania, as it's euro, and the flatbed will fit the Knight hauler... No, the reefer does not come with any servo mounts... But it's nice that the rear axle is steerable if you want to get into that...

Wheels white to match the Scania. Steel wooled, then primed and painted, and clear coated... (Plus the 2 spares). A little blop of flat black on the wheel nuts, before putting on the trim rings... I tried the bleach method of removing the chrome before painting, but for some reason it did not work at all on these wheels. I've done it successfully in the past on other parts...

reefer_9.jpg

reefer_10.jpg

reefer_12.jpg

reefer_13.jpg

Fenders, and spare wheel holder... Primed, and painted orange. Waiting for clear coat.

reefer_14.jpg

reefer_15.jpg

Reefer :D hooked on this thread allready,cant belive how many box's a trailer come's in,and 12 cans of paint too :o is it a 1;1? :P

:)

More orange, and some detailing on the "Reefer" unit. Using same paints and grills as the Scania. Got the ThermoKing stickers from ebay, and using micro line tape for the panel lines...

reefer_16.jpg

reefer_17.jpg

reefer_18.jpg

reefer_19.jpg

reefer_20.jpg

Got some regular tires off of ebay to use with my original Scania front wheels. Mounted them as spares using 2 turnbuckles, 2 servo mounts, and 2 antenna mounts from old M04 kits. Can tighten them down with my fingers. The spares will look good under the trailer... May add some straps or something for effect. Details later!

reefer_21.jpg

reefer_22.jpg

So many parts to paint... So many LARGE parts to paint...

And then again with clearcoat! Need lots of space to lay everything out...

reefer_26.jpg

reefer_27.jpg

Well, well......

I've been away on a fishing trip for just over a week, home for a day, now away for work this week, sitting in my hotel room on my iPhone and I discover this thread, once again you are knocking me out with your attention to detail. Top work, again

It's looking good. I can't wait to see the two together. I was thinking of the color and wondered if you'd seen any of this road name?

Schneider.jpg

Sorry, no updates lately, I've been out of town for the past 5 days. I will be back at it this coming weekend after work is over! :D

Ok, getting into the electrics now... What a pain.

The hard part is the instructions are not clear between the ones included with the trailer, and the ones included with the motorized legs.

I have done the motorized legs once before, but this time it's more difficult. The #1 problem here, is I built up the parts and wired them, but now I have to unwire them so I can fit the batteries into the storage compartment. Not a big deal, and if I'd studied both sets of instructions I could have avoided this mistake... still building, little at a time.

Also, got another shipment of Testors Wet Look Clear Coat, and more Testors Metallic Blazing Black. Lots of clear and black/metallic black to spray still!

reefer_28.jpg

reefer_29.jpg

reefer_30.jpg

reefer_31.jpg

Motorized legs completed. Switch and batteries are hidden in the storage bins.

reefer_32.jpg

reefer_33.jpg

Skottoman, the reefer instruction ask that the batt and switch be place inside the storage compartment or you mod it?

Very neat.

Skottoman, the reefer instruction ask that the batt and switch be place inside the storage compartment or you mod it?

Very neat.

The instructions say to mount the battery and switch inside the storage compartment. My problem was, if you follow the motorized legs instructions, and wire everything together, you have to pull it all apart again. The Reefer kit does come with a few longer wires in order to install the battery and switch in the compartment, as well as a few mounting bits. The battery is held in with clips, and can easily be removed to change batteries.Still so many details to do, and lots of clear coat and paint to go... This is a HUGE kit!