Hi

I recently have been fixing up my Brat, which was in a bit of a state. Yesterday, I got the electrics up and runing, and took it out for a run. All seems to be fine. The only problem is the rear axle. On the left hand side, it keeps poping out. I have tried gaffer-taping the joint boot to give it a bit more strength with the axle bone, but still no use. I also tried some cable ties around the joint boot, but it keeps happening. It usually runs fine on tarmac, but the moment it has any bump, it disconects from the rear suspension piece (far left side) and pops out.

So, has anyone else has a similar problem and manage to fix it? While this may seem a bit stupid, the Joint Boot on the left side is torn in one place, and the end next to the gear box has been frayed/torn up slightly. Is it worth replacing it?

Thanks in advanced :)

check the trailing arm for play or cracks

play will allow the arm to spread out and drop the dogbone

check the trailing arm for play or cracks

play will allow the arm to spread out and drop the dogbone

Thanks. I'm guessing the best way to lower the ammount of play in the trailing arm is to tighten the screws?

Take the two metal trailing arm retainers off, and bend them both slightly with a vise and pliers - and bend them so that the bends point inward and closer against the trailing arm pivot. If the inner pivots wear out and wobble around then I would want to just make it easier and replace both trailing arms.

Which model brat is it ? original or reissue. As the original is pretty robust apart from the hex shafts can wear round and cause slippage. On the later one it is common for the drive shafts to pop out. On later resissue they made the drive cups longer to try and eliviate the problem (not sure it did)

FIrstly make sure you have the correct amount of rubber 'o' rings in drive cups as per manual. Obtain a new rubber boot and i'd also tie wrap the boot on although manual dosn't sure this.

I would check for play as that wont help but you would have had to given it some serious use to get enough play to cause the problem

Yes, as Zakspeed said, you might want to try an o'ring (if it's the Brat re-re version) and don't forget to attach the plastic tie on the rubber boots. That way it won't pop out anymore.

Common fix for these is to take the shocks apart and to put an o-ring under the piston to reduce travel, enough to stop the shaft's popping out

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! It wasn't to do with any of these though, I forgot to put in one of the screws that held the gearbox and the chasis together (after taking the gearbox out for cleaning), so the whole left side could move very easily. Found the screw, and put it in and all is fine. Thanks guys!

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! It wasn't to do with any of these though, I forgot to put in one of the screws that held the gearbox and the chasis together (after taking the gearbox out for cleaning), so the whole left side could move very easily. Found the screw, and put it in and all is fine. Thanks guys!

Well, that's good. Don't forget to share some pictures of your truck now! ;)