Chilihook

I wanted to get an idea about the worth of my collection

Well, with three little kids these days, too much work and life going on, I am thinking of selling my ENTIRE collection, down to the last screw and axle. Problem is, I have a rough idea of what I've paid for things over the years, but not an idea of what I could realistically sell everything for. Here's what I have:

- A completely restored Fox with a lot of spares (including a good set of wheels)and black can motor, box, and all radio gear

- A completely restored Blackfoot with new decals (yet to put on), black can motor, fully ball raced

- A completely restored Boomerang new decals (yet to be put on), black can motor, fully ball raced,lots of spares, full radio gear

- Brand new in the box FAV (opened and looked at, but as it was)

- WRC Focus TT-01 with I think every option possible, full radio gear, box

- Brand new, in the box and never opened Schnitzer BMW M3

- An all original, unrestored Wild One in very good shape, an easy restoration

- A very modified Grasshopper that is nothing but a body and chassis right now. Oil filled dampers, black can motor, Baja Bug-style body, lots of spares

There are also batteries, chargers, extra radios, servos, oil, grease, extra, extra parts... Everything is almost all vintage. It is generally a lot of stuff that has never been fully catalogued. :-) Pictures of almost everything I have can be found in my other posts.

This is not a "for sale" post, this is a "feeler", an information gathering post if you will. Nothing is for sale yet, but when it is, everything will be offered here first before it goes to Flea Bay. I have collected all of these things over the past 25 years, moved with them through college and marriage and kids. This isn't an easy thing for me to do, but I think the time has come to take stock in this collection's worth.

Your best idea is to look at completed listigns on eBay - you might not find some models in as good or restored condition but itwill give you a feel. Radio handsets don't tend to fetch much, so often better to sell with a car as a RTR set-up.

Without looking at UK eBay i'd guess at the following

Fox - £85

Blackfoot - £70

Boomerang £75

FAV - if an original maybe £150, a re-re £110

Focus - £65

M3 - maybe £100 but depends on local interest , could make a lot more

Wild One - £90

Grasshopper - £70

I watch craigslist and a few others and those prices are about right. Here in the US just change it to dollars, they don't sell for as much so skip the exchange rate.

Well, The final word for value is always in the mouth of the buyer, pal.

I'd say if you want to squeeze the last buck (and best one) for your collection you better sell the cars as units, not in a lot. I'd bet you'll get something about $800 in the States if sold one at a time. For the lot, including parts, carrying boxes, and such, I don't believe you would get half big one, which is sad.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!!

You know I hate to hear people selling their collections. If you go through old postings here you will find many TCers regretting selling the cars that were with them since they were kids. And so they find this website, and return to the hobby, trying to find and restore what they once let go for not-so-good money. :(

In all honesty I would just box it up and maybe come back to it in time. The problem is that most of the vehicles that you have are not the flagship ones that tamiya made and that fetch a high dollars because of the rere's. Without rere's I would say that you would have a nice little fortune sitting there but with the rere's the price has dropped out of them.

I once was in your shoes and was thinking of selling a boat and motor. I priced it at 2500.00 at the time. My friend then suggested that I get a part time job and make $2500.00 Cdn no more or less. I did and in the end I helped my self out $ wise and kept the boat. Needless to say that I still own that boat and I use it everytime I am up north in the summers. Buying a boat and motor these days would have cost me more than $2500.00! So the way I look at it I am still ahead.

OSR

Do you need the money and you don't have the space? If yes, than you may get close to what you paid for still NIB the rest I would say 30 - 50% value given the state of the economy and still available and the re-re.

If no, maybe hang on to them and let your children play with it them or fixing than up and use them us home decoration. You may kick yourself later, as so many has done, for unloading your collection. On the other hand, if you don't like what you have than yeah, sell them but I would hang on to the electronic as they can be re-use (should you want to get back in the hobby) and not worth much as second hand.

Well, I still have everything. Recently a friend's interest has got me back into things a little. Just got some shocks for my Blackfoot. I am glad that I hung onto everything, it just seems that every now and then it seems time to "make more room" or "try something new". I always find myself looking at these models, despite their varying conditions, and am reminded of those couple of magical Christmas mornings or a birthday I had when I received one of these cars. The smell of the plastic, sorting all the parts, etc -- puts me right back to being a kid again. I think there's a Wild One in my basement that needs attention... we'll see how it goes.

• Like 5

Well, I still have everything. Recently a friend's interest has got me back into things a little. Just got some shocks for my Blackfoot. I am glad that I hung onto everything, it just seems that every now and then it seems time to "make more room" or "try something new". I always find myself looking at these models, despite their varying conditions, and am reminded of those couple of magical Christmas mornings or a birthday I had when I received one of these cars. The smell of the plastic, sorting all the parts, etc -- puts me right back to being a kid again. I think there's a Wild One in my basement that needs attention... we'll see how it goes.

This is always the case with RC Fan! :)

i am sure if you sold them, you will regret later

CHeers