Sign in to follow this  
Daves956

Looking for more opinions

I have my thoughts and my daughter has told me hers. I'd like to hear a few others. It's a Parma body with Tamiya irridescent pink/gold paint. Depending on the angle you look at it, it can be pinkish, goldish or sorta green. It was photographed with a flash and it evened out the colors. Well here it is

IMG_1364.jpg

The paint itself probably looks better in person and even better in the sun than in the Flash photo. It makes me think of copper in the photo. I'd pull the big Z, outline the windows in chrome, and then pepper the body with a thousand rivet decals for a kind of hand-hammered, patched together, rat-rod kind of look... I see panels and panels of copper rolled through an English wheel and riveted together...

-Paul

I actually like the lightning bolt, but after finishing a Tamiya body today, the quality of the Parma body just isn't up to scratch.

Maybe paint the lightning bolt in metallic colours, if possible? Or even add a pearl clear coat over the body; the decal would look too flat compared to the rest of the paintwork.

I may get used to the color but it's not likely. This didn't have the protective film so I masked the exterior. I put down 2 lite coats and had a peek, It looked like pepto bismol with metal flake. I put the lightning bolt on it to give it a hard line somewhere. It's all kinda swoopy smooth with no body or cut lines anywhere. I intended to do a bunch of chrome but I'm not sure now.

I added more color trying to break up the empty look. This color looks kinda copperish from the side, pink from the front and golden green from the back. It all depends on how the light hits it. This picture is just minus the flash with more bling on it.

pinkcar.jpg I still think it would need to have the sun at it's back to sneek up on a pump to get some air in the tires

Lairy ,to lessen the effect a front grill would work on the front,cut the wheel arch's out so a wheel can be seen,and add some door lines,maybe the big z needs to be a different colour or removed?

think it'l look good :)

A bit of luck perhaps. I was thinking this was a 180 shell and would serve a purpose. I was looking at cutting out the fenders for wheels and it's more like a 165. It would fit the TT or the F103 chassis here. I'm not looking at fitting another body to either of those so it will go where it will look great. In a bag with other bodies in a dark closet to wait for it's future. Now that I know what it fits and doesn't, I don't see it sticking around for long.

I don't plan to kick it to the curb just yet. The color has kind of grown on me even if it photographs very poorly. There are issues with the body I'll need to think about if it ever gets used. It was just one of the things on my to do list

Seeing it in a new light...literally. From a conventional point of view the paint job on this car is messed up from any angle you look at it and a picture just magnifies that idea. I've only seen two 1:1 cars painted like this and it's different. Any part of it that your looking at straight on is the coppery pink and then fades to the greenish gold. You can turn it any way you want and the color changes with the point of view. It's very odd until it's in only natural light and photos just don't show it correctly, especially flash type. In natural light it's like a picture with eyes that follow you around the room. Kinda creepy at first but you can't help staring at it.

If you don;t have too many coats on, backing it with black will darken the colour a little - it won;t kill the irredescence but will darken the pink a bit.

These flip-flop shades are a love/hate colour - I did the mnata ray with Fastrax Chameleon Jade which flips from dark metallic green, through bronze to gold. Looks great in the sun with all the curves highlighting the flip flop paint.

As it stands i think it looks fine - sort of 'ZZ Top' hot rod look

If you don;t have too many coats on, backing it with black will darken the colour a little - it won;t kill the irredescence but will darken the pink a bit.

These flip-flop shades are a love/hate colour - I did the mnata ray with Fastrax Chameleon Jade which flips from dark metallic green, through bronze to gold. Looks great in the sun with all the curves highlighting the flip flop paint.

As it stands i think it looks fine - sort of 'ZZ Top' hot rod look

Very good eye. I was looking at the Eliminator coupe for ideas.

On a side note, my oldest brother saw a recent picture of me and my other brother together and commented that we looked like a picture of a ZZ top reunion tour.

It does have the black backing, that's why it doesn't look like pepto anymore. I am starting to like it too.

Not sure I have a good eye, just showing my age lol!

Not sure I have a good eye, just showing my age lol!

Showing your age? Neither of us could say anything about the reunion tour comment....he was right.

I think I found a chassis for this body, the dimensions are ok and it keeps it on theme. The theme seems to be "well that's different". It's a trf414 and it's a new type for me. Any input on this?

trf414.jpg

I think I found a chassis for this body, the dimensions are ok and it keeps it on theme. The theme seems to be "well that's different". It's a trf414 and it's a new type for me. Any input on this?

You, sir, have an excellent piece of history in your hands. Do you know if it's an X, M, or MII? Here's some history from Tamiya themselves:

http://www.tamiya.co...14m_history.htm

http://www.tamiya.co.../trf414m_cm.htm

There's a listing for a TRF414MII on my local Craigslist. He's been trying to sell it for nearly a year, and I approached him at one point to see if I could get it at a good price. It has the SSG chassis minus a rear damper stay, but I've seen those around and thought it would be a cool restoration project. Not exactly vintage, but historically significant given what Tamiya accomplished with the TRF414 series.

It would be a shame to top it with a Parma body. Something slick and fast is what this chassis needs. Save the Parma body for a TT01.

-Paul

I read some of the history on the chassis and checked out what's on this site but with all the blue on it I can't tell what it really is. I'm not dead set on the Parma body since it comes with a slick new body you can only see the corner of in the picture. It does have the graphite decks and there are no scratches anywhere so it's not a restore project. Is there a way to tell if it's an M or what?

Looks like you have a TRF414MII. The TRF414X and TRF414M didn't have all the blue anodizing the MII had. WillyChang wrote something up about it at http://www.tamiyaclu.../car.asp?id=409 nine years ago (nine years ago!!!).

No scratches anywhere? Niiiice!

-Paul

It was displayed under the clear body and never run. I may do the same, I'm not sure but it is a sweet find.

On the chassis for this body, well I feel really smart. I got tunnel vision thinking it would fit a Jaguar chassis and forgot everything. I have a coupe body on a chassis here that I have 3 of. It was hanging on the wall and I hung that body there for storage. I just noticed that it was the right size. 10 inch, just like the one I just found for a friend with the same chassis. It fits a frog/ blackfoot/ brat.and I already have all of those with one as my body tester. I'm really bright sometimes.

I had another oportunity to pick up something my collection needed and it too was the right size for this body. It came with gold spoke rims as well.

It's an associated RC10DS and it runs really well, I also have a very nice original mustang body for it. It does look different with wheels.

IMG_1378.jpg

This is probably the only descent picture of this one. Natural light but no direct sun and no flash. I do like that RC10DS chassis, it runs real well.

rc10.jpg

I will be cutting the body posts down