Sign in to follow this  
wolfdogstinkus

Loose transmitter stick/ wont center

I have a loose transmitter stick (sounds like a horrible disease I know!)

I think it's the spring, it was on the steering side which was really annoying because all my cars were wandering, at first I thought it was the servo.

I have swapped the transmitter sticks now so it happens on the throttle side, which is a lot less frustrating, but I would like to replace the springs and put the sticks back to where they should be, as the 50/50 70/30 switch is now on the steering.

Anyone know anywhere to buy these springs?

If nothing has changed with the "feel" of the stick movement, then it is unlikely that it's the spring.

What kind of radio is it? I know my Futabas just have the trim pot simply glued in place and could easily see them coming loose, resulting in what you've described. Did you do a visual when you swapped sticks?

Thanks OCD for the reply, the stick is visably off / I have some pictures I might upload them tomorrow.

It's an acoms techniplus 2.4G.It's only a degree or two but it was enough to make the car wander when it controlled the steeringTrim pot? the plastic where the axis is? where the plastic rotates?, that is all held with screws and on tight.

The stick assemblies are square so they can be fitted at 90 degree increments, so no problems swapping them.

DSCF5469.jpg

DSCF5466.jpg 

The stick assemblies are square so they can be fitted at 90 degree increments, so no problems swapping them.

DSCF5469.jpg

DSCF5466.jpg

Hmm, weird. Sounds like something might be wrong with the gimbal itself? Did the spring look identical to the other stick when you had them both out? I would compare the two very closely to see if you can find any differences there.

2.4G sounds pretty new; Maybe still under warranty?

It will be under warranty but when I took the back off I knocked a wire off the battery pack so I have had to solder that back on which will probably affect the warranty?

It does have instructions to swap the sticks over, so they do encourage you to open it up.

Hmmmm, just swapped the spring and it's the same, so it's not the spring.

There must be something wrong with the stick assembly, thanks for the help OCD.

It's probably been dropped or stood on at some point. :( 

I think if you want to get a good diagnosis on a warranty repair you're going to have to solder that wire back on :(

You could also look into just ordering a new gimbal assembly if all else fails. I know Futaba has a pretty good parts service, but Acoms? I have no idea :huh:

That's the nice thing about using old radios; If a part fails, I can buy an entire used radio off of eBay for $15-20 shipped. Have a whole box of 'em in fact!

Oh well, It's not doing any harm on the throttle side. So is acoms considered a low quality brand of radio?

I have always used acoms radios but this one does seem a bit cheap.

No, I'm just not familiar with their customer support. I've always owned mostly Futabas for whatever reason.

I think just about everything out there now days has a cheap feel to it. :unsure:

It seems acoms has no customer support?, can't even find a website for them. I would have to send it back to them through Fusion Hobbies but I don't think I will bother, it probably has been caused by bad treatment, being dropped or whatever, but it does seem much cheaper than the old acoms radios.