tamiya monkey

Tamiya Chassis Lipo compatibility

The Jamara 141390 5000mAh / 30C stickpack-shaped LiPo is 134 x 23.3 x 45.8mm (measured by myself using a caliper)- although I'm not sure if this battery is easily obtainable in your area at a reasonable price. Its cable outlet is located in exactly the same spot as on regular NiMH/NiCd stickpacks. Most other LiPo stickpacks use different outlets, making them a pain to use in certain chassis types.

Then there's the "Gens Ace Lipo 4000mAh 7.4V 25C 2S1P Hardcase (#8) B-25C-4000-2S1P-HardCase-8" with dimensions of 134.53 x 48.23 x 23.54mm, according to Tamico.

Thanks for the help everyone! I was able to order the Gens Ace 4000mAh you mentioned from hobbypartz.com for about $28+$7s+h U.S. It slides into the TA02 chassis perfectly. The battery stopper doesn't quite fit, but it didn't for my Venom 4200mAh NiMH either. It's close. I'm using a rubber band until I come up with something better.

Hello,

I just wanted to post some pics of the battery clip I came up with for holding a battery that is too large for the battery stopper in a TA02 chassis. I have not modified my chassis in any way. It's simple and holds the battery tightly, but comes off easily. It is just a piece of coat hanger wire. To insert/remove, you pinch the sides together. The ends can be bent to avoid wires, etc. It fits the Gens Ace Lipo and the NiMH. It has survived many a rollover. In the pictures, it's the tan colored wire going down through the battery stopper holes.

Bob

BatteryClip3.jpgBatteryClip1.jpgBatteryClip2.jpg

• Like 1

If there is any chance of any help on this thread or another let me know and thanks in advance for any. I've a mint dirt thrasher (manta ray chassis)with all the lightweight aluminum chassis mods that can be found inc suspension. I've dirt tuned Tamiya 540, 4000mah nihm and a m sonik rv15 esc can i just swap out the nihm for lipo sticks and get a suitable charger? I'm disabled in a wheelchair nowadays with limited strength and joint movement so hope its this easy otherwise I'll have to bin the idea. I wana also get the same change done for my completely standard midnight pumpkin (apart from bearing and suspension change.

If you choose a LiPo battery with a rounded profile that matches the length of a standard NiCad/NiMH stick pack, then yes, it is as simple as that. (Although for safety you should probably also fit a low voltage buzzer, as AFAIK the RV15 does not have a LiPo-friendly LVC.)

I would suggest carefully checking the length of the pack prior to purchase though, as many rounded LiPo packs sold as stick pack replacements are significantly longer than a standard stick pack, and need modifications to the battery bay or battery door to fit. (Such as that shown in the previous post.)

Hi,

Total LiPo noob here, spent about a half hour talking to the kind chap at SRI Remote Toys this morning and have decided to take the plunge and go for a LiPo battery.

I have an Etronix Powerpal 80A charger on the way (I needed a new charger anyway) and the main use for the battery will be in a Blackfoot Extreme (so very similar battery layout to TL01)

I need a recommendation on a good value battery that both fits and is compatible with my charger.

The truck runs one of those Brushless systems which were cheap on RCMart earlier in the year (about 19T equivalent iirc). Am I right in thinking I will need a low-voltage alarm?

And if I get a low-voltage alarm is there anything stopping me using it in other brushed motor chassis I have? As long as the ESC can take the max. Amperage from the battery (so TEU302 is 120A, 101 is 60A?)?

I look forward to your help!

The Carson battery that vrs55 linked to above will go straight in a Blackfoot Extreme without modification.

Otherwise you can make the Vapex batteries fit just by fitting 2 washers to extend the battery stop and taking a little off the battery clamp to accommodate the wires (takes 3 mins max).

If you are handy with a Dremel then take a look at componentshop.co.uk as they sell some round case batteries that will fit but you have to bore out the oval aperture that runs through the chassis a little (still not too difficult a job though).

Thanks,

So I'm drawn immediately to this one -

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-3300mah-30c-hard-case-racing-battery.html

Mainly because of the price, as it seems very cheap. Am I right in my calculations that it will draw a maximum 99 Amps?

How will that sit with my Speed Passion Brushless setup w/3500kv motor?

And how do I calculate how long it takes to charge (I can't see a charge rating on there)? My new charger has a max. charge rate of 6A.

That one is the Vapex one I referred to, yes it will supply a Max of 99 amps which is more than enough for the 40amp brushless ESC you have (pretty sure they're 40amp, they certainly aren't any more than 60amps).

That battery fits a lot of Tamiya chassis' that require an oval stickpack with only minor mods to fit most of them and none for others.

Charging LiPos is safest at what is called 1C. To find 1C you simply divide the mAH rating of the battery by 1000 so in this case is will be a charge rate of 3.3A (well within your chargers range).

So I followed the advice on here and have just had my first run with a Lipo battery.

Oh my god the power is immense. I'll certainly be buying more! Only problem I'm really having is with the quick-release battery holder for TL01 based cars, sadly it's rubbing on the balance cable which can't be ideal! I think it will be easily solved using the original battery holder on one side of the chassis.

Managed to do a wheelie with my heavy Wild Dagger rear-drive setup!

Oh my god the power is immense. I'll certainly be buying more! Only problem I'm really having is with the quick-release battery holder for TL01 based cars, sadly it's rubbing on the balance cable which can't be ideal! I think it will be easily solved using the original battery holder on one side of the chassis.

Have you considered leaving the quick release fitted, but instead putting the battery in "leads" first, so that the leads come out on the side of the chassis that still has the stock battery retainer..?

On my M03 Mini, I found that the Tamiya quick release battery holder rubbed on the balance lead, but it didn't if the battery was fitted upside down.. Maybe you could try that?

Just a thought..

I did - the Vapex battery I purchased has the leads in this position -

vap-lipo-3300.jpg

I've retained the quick release, but the FRP 'retainer' which comes as part of the hop-up was the wrong shape for the wires. Now I have the basic "L" shaped retainer on one side where the wires protrude and the quick release on the other. I still have to put it in wires first, but it works better with the old retainer on there.

Thing is insane now, will have to post some pictures.

5000mAh perfect fit no mods (just don't glue the foam thingie in the battery compartment) on cw-01 chassis (lunchbox / midgnight pumpkin / montero)

CAM00209_zpscb1b3e71.jpg

CAM00211_zps54f82029.jpg

I've just bought one of these for my WW2. It's a good fit in the chassis but is around 4mm too long . I've had to mod the clamp at the rear, it looks like there are updated mounts with 2 holes for the clips which may sort the issue. Great battery and Mah all for £29 delivered.

CA_09081422154398-M.jpg

I need someone who makes an oval-shaped hard case but has the wires exiting the pack through the top, like the Turnigy hard-case square packs.

Is that too much to ask I wonder? :lol:

Reason being that the battery retainers on most models get in the way of either the power cables or balance lead, or both!

well, I decided to bite the bullet and after some careful measurements I found that this should fit

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__59168__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_2S3P_30_60C_Hardcase_Saddle_Lipo_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_AR_Warehouse_.html

the superchamp is a bit weird because it's got that upper chassis.

I think I can make it work though. I'll just have to mount the receiver in a different location (probably top side in front of the ESC)

Saddlepack in a SuperChamp

Good news:

battery fits with multiple options

L5GRJPp.jpg

2M9sMW7.jpg

7SGAqPC.jpg

zlms8KB.jpg

Plenty of room for some Command DualLock velcro to secure it to the chassis

I still occasionally look for vintage compatible Lipo stick packs, even though I probably have enough (yeah right). My favorite for all chassis types I own are Core RC CR158.

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/cr158-core-rc-7-4v-4000mah-20c-2s-li-po-battery-pack

Not the cheapest though, and Schumacher, who distribute them, have discontinued them.

But not to worry, because a new battery has been released - CR293

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufacturer/Core_RC/CR293.html

If these are the same dimensions as the other Core RC stick packs, fitting them into vintage buggies will not be a problem.

They are cheaper than previous models too, if bought directly from Schumacher's website.

Whilst browsing Ebay I found another battery. Has anyone heard of Yuki or Brainergy? No? Me either.

Check this out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brainergy+lipo&biw=1280&bih=662&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=Bh-3VP4YwcNS_ICEqAM&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&dpr=1.5#q=brainergy+7.4v+lipo&tbm=shop

Available on Ebay and one or two other websites, including their own:

http://www.yuki-model.de/?shop=cn_en Although that appears to be trade only. Yuki seem to have a lot of dealers buying from them in Europe.

These Brainergy batteries seem identical to the new Core RC, but have white cases and a low price. I'm tempted to buy one to test size, output and run time.

• Like 1

Modelsport used to stock the Core RC packs too. I wonder if they'll start stocking the CR293 pack.

I have a couple of HPI Plazma NiMH packs and one of them - a 2000mah pack - doesn't fit in all my cars. It's actually longer than the 2400mah HPI pack I own. I would expect this to be the case with their LiPo packs too.

The Core RC CR158 fit in all my runners with no tightness or chassis mods needed. It would appear that the new CR293 pack is the same size, and the Yuki pack claims to be 134mm long, and it's overall design looks identical to the Core RC packs.

Any guinea pigs out there?