tamiya monkey

Tamiya Chassis Lipo compatibility

On 4/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, nbTMM said:

3.4V is over 95% discharged, I wouldn't worry about seeing and imbalance below that voltage. A lot of new packs would be lucky to have the cell capacity matched within 5% of each other.

I totally agree, people obsess over balancing but don't realise that even a tiny imbalance at full charge will become proportionally bigger as the pack is discharged. This normally wouldn't be an issue for me, I just happened to observe that the one sell suddenly sinks much faster than than other one even when you factor in normal imbalances.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, nbTMM said:

unless you're putting it head to head against identical cars with new batteries

Well that's just the thing, it was exactly this that made me aware something was amiss. I have been using this pack in my Lunchbox for ages but it has only been recently that I've been using it for long enough to need to switch packs. The first time I put in a cheapo Floureon 4000mah 2s, I had an unintentional backflip. The difference in punch was significant to say the least. The Floureon only claims the same 30c rating as the CoreRC but it's definitely delivering a lot more punch.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is to put a fresh deans connector on the pack, it could be possible that the contacts have tarnished inside or the soldering has gone dry or something like that although I haven't noticed any hear in the vicinity of the connector.

Anyone tried these:

Overlander 7.4v 55C 3250mAh LiPo Sport Track Pack according to Modelsport they are 136x46x22

whereas the Core RC 4000mAHr 7.4v 30/60C 2s LiPo (which I have 3 off but 2 are getting a bit old and bloated!) are 133.7x46x23.3

I also have 1 of Peak Power Plant LiPo 2s 7.4v 4000mAh 45C which 138x45x25 which is too long for some models (my Egress to name 1)

On 4/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, gizard said:

I also have 1 of Peak Power Plant LiPo 2s 7.4v 4000mAh 45C which 138x45x25 which is too long for some models (my Egress to name 1)

I have one of those too, same problem!

Actually according to Overlander's site the sport track is 138mm long - so I guess more Core RC seems to the only option....

Reviving the thread here - what 3s batteries do people use????? I know the core RC is the go to 2s - I have had 5 of them.... just wondering whether to try a 3s in the Top Force, DT-03, Blitzer Beetle, ( and possibly xv-01) with 10BL120 ESC....

11 hours ago, gizard said:

what 3s batteries do people use?????

I've a few 3s, a hard case Orion rocket sport (don't look to make them anymore) a few floueon ones, that a few of us got off ebay for next to nothing (under £4 each!, out of stock within the hour 🙄) and a couple of turnigy 3.3 and turnigy 3.0 from hobbyking, looking at getting a 5000mah for speed runs.

Smaller of the ones I've got.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-3000mah-3s-40c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html?countrycode=GB&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw7anqBRALEiwAgvGgm97M_1-a7kCpsXMe0Z5ERVUaXRYYkgS3cFH6JFRidArqudAzo88z9RoCed0QAvD_BwE&___store=en_us

I've ordered a couple of these to try - 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-track-4000mah-3s-11-1v-50c-lipo-battery-low-profile/rc-car-products/425407

Measuring up I think they will fit DT-03, Blitzer and TT-02, Top Force might be a small problem, but probably solvable.

Need to turn down the punch and brakes I think otherwise gearbox destruction will ensue I think! ;) 

Going to be using them through a 10BL120 with 13.5t Speed passion motors - and possibly a 10.5t Tamiya but I think that might be a stretch too far - so will probably use a 2S with 10.5t in the Egress which will probably not take the 3s battery....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gizard said:

I've ordered a couple of these to try - 

Looks similar size to the Orion rocketsport 3s, fitted in more models than I thought it would!

15 hours ago, gizard said:

Need to turn down the punch and brakes I think otherwise gearbox destruction will ensue I think! ;)

You'll find they'll back flip or wheelspin before the gearbox gives up. I've made steel bumpers, but others have used stick on weights used for 1:1 car tyre balancing, to try and keep the nose down 😁👍

Dt-03 and blitzer already have wheelie bars 😈😉

10 hours ago, gizard said:

Dt-03 and blitzer already have wheelie bars 😈😉

My DT03 has a 3800kv (13.5t ish) and without weight, will back flip onto its roof ,without the front wheels even turning....

Well have not put the new esc in the dt-03 yet. But tried the 3s battery in the top force which has tamiya 10.5t motor with 10bl120. The wheels stayed on the ground but the tyres were blown off a front and rear wheel even though they were glued.... I think I need to put rim locked tyres on and demote it to a 13.5t motor......😈🤔😉

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, GregM said:

When being asked by Kevin for Hornet compatible LiPo batteries, I browsed the Tamico website and was delighted to see that they show exact battery dimensions for most of their stickpack LiPos now.

These are the ones that should fit, but keep in mind that I haven't tested them yet by myself:

Brainergy LiPo 2s/7,4V 4.000mAh 30C T-Stecker Racing-Pack
Yuki Model 801004
134 x 46 x 23,5 mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=71265&lang=eng&

Gensace Lipo Akku 4000mAh 7.4V 25C 2S1P Hardcase (#8)
B-25C-4000-2S1P-HardCase-8
(Battery leads are off-center on this one)
134.53 * 48.23 * 23.54mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=7113&lang=eng&

Amewi LiPo Akku 2S 7,4V Akku 3000mAh 20C
AW-28051
134 x 45,8 x 23,5mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=206810&lang=eng&

Anyone tried that Amewi pack ?

It's on Amazon UK for 26.71 GBP with free delivery. Same size as the Brainergy 801004 and Core RC 293, with leads both coming out of the centre. No reviews found yet though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amewi-battery-3000-mAh-28051-AM-Racing/dp/B071ZFKFH4

Who fancies trying one? Schumacher are still selling Core RC 293 and with postage comes to 37.98 GBP.

Regards,
AG

On 9/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, GregM said:

When being asked by Kevin for Hornet compatible LiPo batteries, I browsed the Tamico website and was delighted to see that they show exact battery dimensions for most of their stickpack LiPos now.

These are the ones that should fit, but keep in mind that I haven't tested them yet by myself:

Brainergy LiPo 2s/7,4V 4.000mAh 30C T-Stecker Racing-Pack
Yuki Model 801004
134 x 46 x 23,5 mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=71265&lang=eng&

Gensace Lipo Akku 4000mAh 7.4V 25C 2S1P Hardcase (#8)
B-25C-4000-2S1P-HardCase-8
(Battery leads are off-center on this one)
134.53 * 48.23 * 23.54mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=7113&lang=eng&

Amewi LiPo Akku 2S 7,4V Akku 3000mAh 20C
AW-28051
134 x 45,8 x 23,5mm

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=206810&lang=eng&

OK nuts to it, I've ordered one of the Amewi LiPo, #28051 from Amazon UK. I'll update if it fits in TA01 / Frog etc when it arrives.

Regards,
AG

Don't know if this has been done, but i am running a shorty lipo with sone foam to pack it out in a Grasshopper2/Rising Fighter tub. Run it at the front and the plug holes are both visibke with no tub modifications. Either use plugs soldered directly to the esc, or like i do because there is loads of space, plug the charge leads in and just have a regular battery plug (i use Deans) on the ESC so you have options for other batteries if the shorty isn't available. I am guessing this would work for original Grasshopper/Hornet chassis too, but don't know for sure. Means yoy can use a hard case lipo instead of stuffing a soft case in there. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, gizard said:

Well have not put the new esc in the dt-03 yet. But tried the 3s battery in the top force which has tamiya 10.5t motor with 10bl120. The wheels stayed on the ground but the tyres were blown off a front and rear wheel even though they were glued.... I think I need to put rim locked tyres on and demote it to a 13.5t motor......😈🤔😉

Right topforce running 10bl120 with speed passion 13.5 and 3s battery 27mph sure it will be faster with more space this was on grass in the garden !

DT03 with the same esc, motor & battery 29mph in the garden on grass, before running out of space ! 

Both cars ended up in the flower bed with run off 🤪

Need to try out a smoother surface to see what I really can get. I have the punch turned right down to help look after the gearbox etc. But the dt-03 will wheelie when travelling at half speed and the throttle is floored.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, gizard said:

DT03 with the same esc, motor & battery 29mph in the garden on grass, before running out of space !

67.3mph is the DT03 speed to beat...

6 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

67.3mph is the DT03 speed to beat...

I know it's is a lot higher - but given I was on grass and with only about 2 seconds full throttle I was reasonably pleased - need to find a quiet stretch of tarmac ;) 

• Haha 1