Yesterday meanwhile I posted on my showroom the picture of the Grasshopper 1 finally finished. Another long restoring job on this car.

Both GH1 and GH2 are made with the same "concepts", little front bumper, cut side front bumper mounts and driver with arms, roll bar and cockpit.

I'm very sorry that the idea of hidden body mounts arrived only on the GH2, when the GH1 body was already with decals applied. The screw holes on GH1 body are so ugly...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=116054&id=24

Many thanks. Just finished now the paintjob on the GH2 body. 3th layer of white. Now I'll go with Gunmetal on the rollbar.

New pictures as soon as possible.

Max

Okay. I have been trying to follow both of your forum threads, so take it easy on me and re-name one thread.

I see 2 "Advice from you" threads, with 2 different Grasshoppers.

I know that you want attention to your matter, but double-posting any single subject multiple times on the same forum makes one look like a spammer or troll.

I do, however, understand your passion. Tamiya rocks!

Please delete that old double thread so I do not get emails on 2 subjects just for 1 car . . . . :( that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi dragnse7en,

I didn't do double post. I've only one thread on my Grasshopper 2 restoration, the one you wrote on. Don't know about the other one. I made a search and didn't find it. Where's this thread? Can you give a link please?

I'm not a spammer or a troll, I'm the member #24 in the club, I joined it when the tamiyaclub was a totally unknown beta version micro website and I was contacted directly from Netsmith, the founder of the club in the far 2002. So it's impossible I'm a troll. Maybe there was a problem with the software or there is another explanation for double thread.

Anyway I can't rename the thread, I'm not a moderator. In fact, as you can see, I make an error on this one, I missed a letter in the title.

Max

Please delete that old double thread so I do not get emails on 2 subjects just for 1 car . . . . :( that would be greatly appreciated!

Please PM me links to both threads and I'll look into it - I'm having trouble finding the 'other' one too.

If you're getting mails from a topic which you don't want to receive, just 'unfollow' the topic - there's a button for that at the top right of the page.

I thank Twinset for the correction of the main title of the thread. I missed one letter on my Mac keyboard.

Max

I made a series of mistakes on the GH2 body painting :( .

1st error: I had 3 layers of white on the body and the result was near to perfect but the pursuit of perfection is evil so I had a 4th layer. That was perfect except a fingerprint on the roof. DOHHH!!!

2nd error: I sanded the roof to keep the fingerprint away than I used abrasive paste for polishing the part but the past had some chemical reaction with the paint. DOH! DOHH!!!

3th error: I sanded again the roof and painted but unfortunately I hit the roof again with the nail of my right index finger, leaving a furrow in the paint. DOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!

4th error: I sanded again the roof and polished again but with another car polish product. But I was not happy with the result so I sprayed another coat of paint. The paint did react with the silicone present in the polisher so become a mess with a big orange peel look. No more words...

Now I left the GH2 body in its own box and decided to leave there for some days. Now I will restore a door in my home so will cut, sand and paint wood instead ABS for some day. Will resume the body at the end of this week and will decide if strip it completely and repaint it or strip and repaint only the roof.

What's the lesson of this story? The pursuit of perfection is wrong and perfect is the enemy of good.

I am very disappointed for my clumsiness. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Stay tuned.

Max

Too bad, but don't let this get you down for too long. I've learned a lot from all the numerous mistakes that occured when I painted the Mad Bull's bodyshell (the first hard body I had to deal with) with a 3-colour-paintjob. Especially white paint can be a tough challenge to get the finish right without leaving any dust, fingerprints or other marks. :)

I didn't know if you had 2 user names and it was a double post. I did quickly read the other one and it was also about a grasshopper - my mistake!

Don't give up even after the sanding errors!

I find that Lemon Pledge furniture spray polish and cleaner works very well to shine up rc car bodies, and it's probaby more gentle on that kind of paint surface than car poilshes. Also, if you use a power tool to polish the plastic body, set it on a low speed, and let the surface cool every now and then so it will not become discolored. If you use the Lemon Pledge spray, all you need is a clean lint-free cloth, and wipe it clean and shiney!

If you're going to strip the whole paint off it, remember to spray on a new primer base after it's ready :)

Now I'm working on the door at home. Wood is not properly my material but that's it, I'm relaxing my mind for some days. Then will come back on the GH2 body.

Max

Too bad, but don't let this get you down for too long. I've learned a lot from all the numerous mistakes that occured when I painted the Mad Bull's bodyshell (the first hard body I had to deal with) with a 3-colour-paintjob. Especially white paint can be a tough challenge to get the finish right without leaving any dust, fingerprints or other marks. :)

Hi, I have only one name ;-)

Anyway probably will strip only the roof and will prime and paint it again.

Max

I didn't know if you had 2 user names and it was a double post. I did quickly read the other one and it was also about a grasshopper - my mistake!

Don't give up even after the sanding errors!

I find that Lemon Pledge furniture spray polish and cleaner works very well to shine up rc car bodies, and it's probaby more gentle on that kind of paint surface than car polishes. Also, if you use a power tool to polish the plastic body, set it on a low speed, and let the surface cool every now and then so it will not become discolored. If you use the Lemon Pledge spray, all you need is a clean lint-free cloth, and wipe it clean and shiney!

If you're going to strip the whole paint off it, remember to spray on a new primer base after it's ready :)

Ok people, the door is finished, no more wood for 10 years now. Wood is not my properly material.

Anyway today I repainted the roof and finally everything went good.

Now I'll paint the rollbar gunmetal and the body will be finished.

Max

It's me again. Finally I finished to paint the roof and the roll bar on the body and into the interior.

Now some minor detail is needed to finish the interior driver. Must yet glue and paint the lamp that will be yellow an flat black like the Frog ones, then will apply the decals. Four Wild One wheel and tires will complete the car.

Someone asked me about the hidden body mounts. Here a picture and other ones in the showroom.

More pictures in the showroom:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=116273&id=24

Pictures:

Body and chassis

img24_27092012025207_1.jpg

Gun Metal roll bar

img24_27092012025207_3.jpg

Front body mount

img24_27092012025207_8.jpg

Max

Wheels and tires arrived from the USA! Oh yeah! 19€ paid from the nice custom officers! OH YEAHHH!!!

Max

Hi people! I'm applying the stickers on the body. I'm not sure of the yellow headlights, maybe they were better whites. Does anyone have the stickers of the headlights that advance? The headlight stickers don't exist on Grasshopper 2 decal sheet. The car originally doesn't have headlights.

Thanks

Max

I have these:

2011-12-10_17-25-20_761.jpg

The sheet is smaller now, but I can cut off a 4X3 square for you and give them to you and mail them in a letter envelope, and you can have four of each. PM me if you are interested :)

PM Sent.

Max

I have these:

2011-12-10_17-25-20_761.jpg

The sheet is smaller now, but I can cut off a 4X3 square for you and give them to you and mail them in a letter envelope, and you can have four of each. PM me if you are interested :)

Where did you get that sticker sheet? It's awesome.

Thanks! I got them over a year ago on that popular interweb auction site. I forgot what search words I used, but I see a set of those stickers now and then when I browse thru vintage buggies. I bought them for my East Edinger and Cadillac era gold pan RC10s. I was one giant sheet, and even after I cut it in half, I still had plenty left over, so I will keep two of each for somehting else down the road :)

Screenprintdigital do them on ebay.

Search for 10th scale spot lights retro - gives a sheet with 108 of them.

Rich

Hi people,

the project is yet not finished. I'm waiting for a couple of decals and a net to complete it.

News will follow stay tuned.

Max