Sign in to follow this  
Raman36

Kyosho Scorpion 2012

Apparently we've gone so far off topic that you've forgotten what this thread is about: Manufacturers (Kyosho in this case) are selling nostalgia. Kyosho didn't randomly pick the name Scorpion out of a hat did they? The alternative for them is to go with a completely new name, which is not going to come with the built-in buzz surrounding it. This thread is a perfect example of this type of free advertising -- A discussion about a Kyosho buggy has found it's way onto a Tamiya forum of all places! Do you think 'new' buyers just ignore this kind of attention?

Um sure but is the "nostalgia" marketing working? Last time I checked nobody posting in this thread has said they will buy one due to the "nostalgic" Scorpion name...lol. Regardless of course the new Scorpion would find it's way onto this forum, this IS a Kyosho subforum dedicated to all things Kyosho...

I am going out on a limb here, but can I assume you were not a fan of the Jun Watanabe Hornet? ;)

C..

Not a fan at all, the color scheme is a joke and I don't even know who Jun Watanabe is and don't really care. I wouldn't buy it even if it were $50....correction I wouldn't take it if you gave it to me...lol.

Maybe if I had a daughter I get it for her... :lol:

I knew you would not let me down. Thank you for reinforcing the fact that you are not tamiya's only thought when it comes to what they will make and how much they will charge. For which I for one am eternally grateful.

I love the variety! I find something new that catches my attention every day. Honestly, i have re-re's now that i would not have given a second look in the day, The terribly over priced Lunchbox springs immediately to mind. :D.

Don't get me wrong though I don't just love everything they do because they are Tamiya, there is plenty of new stuff I would not give a second look today, maybe in 20 years I will be lusting after re-re's of today's offerings. You can rest assured that if they do, and it catches my fancy, I will buy them then too.

But then we are all entitled to our own opinions, aren't we?

Um sure but is the "nostalgia" marketing working? Last time I checked nobody posting in this thread has said they will buy one due to the "nostalgic" Scorpion name...lol. Regardless of course the new Scorpion would find it's way onto this forum, this IS a Kyosho subforum dedicated to all things Kyosho...

There's no way any of us can say for sure how many people will see this and think about buying a Kyosho model, but would we even be discussing this model here if they just named it the DB something or other? This is precisely how marketing works: Develop a strategy that puts your product in the minds of as many people as possible. Since they already own the name it costs them nothing to throw it around, so even if PaPeRo doesn't buy one, there's no real investment lost.

Um sure but is the "nostalgia" marketing working? Last time I checked nobody posting in this thread has said they will buy one due to the "nostalgic" Scorpion name...lol.

Those who owned or lusted after a Scorpion when they were young are now in their 30's or 40's. they will have two views on this new release..

1. Err - it's nothing like the original - booooo

2. Ah, its a modern interpretation and its RTR

I never owned a Scorpion, and I have a mix of cars (including 3 vintage Kyosho), but I won't buy a Scorpion..

1. Its too expensive - as a RTR is might be OK value wise, but I have 8 handsets now so why would I want another ?

2. It's too big - i don't have the storage space for a 1/7th scale, and neither do I have plenty of nearby places where i could run such a sized car

3. To me the build process is a bigger part than running a model. I bought an Associated SC10 RTR and it never left the box, and I sold it after a few months sat on the shelf.

Anyone familiar with Tamiya or vintage RC's is generally interested in the build as much as the running, and hence are disappointed by a RTR package.In contrast, people who have come to the hobby more recently prefer RTR set-ups, particularly with the popularity of the Traxxas range. American manufacturers have therefore followed / had to follow similar product offering and positioning. Tamiya continue to offer limited RTR items through their XB range; UK retailers will offer kit bundles with radio gear/charger/battery etc to give people an all in option if they want.It's clear the US is very much more into RTR. The UK is a bit of a mix but the youth element are definitely less interested in building and painting. When i bought my Kyosho Sand Master kit at Modelsport they had to look for a kit box in amongst the ready to run stock, such is the bias towards RTR outside of Tamiya these days.

The larger size and RTR may well appeal to US buyers.

Is Tamiya's business model wrong ? - I doubt it, global seller with plenty of history and loyal fans. All these re-re's may well present old technology but there's a market for nostalgia and reliving childhood dreams. The younger element no doubt wonder what all this fuss is about, and perhaps in 20 years time Tamiya will struggle to sell re-res of the previous, and today's, models as a lot of customers will have grown up on RTR and not want to build anything.

Is Kyosho's philosophy correct ? - time will tell. I'm sure they considered a re-re of the Scorpion before going with the modern, larger version - they obviously feel this one makes better financial sense . I wonder whether they over looked the amount of internet hobby speculation that might have been generated for their other vintage models (Optima / Ultima series) if this Scoprpion had been an original re-released.

Before one can comment if the decision to a re-release or a particular model is correct or incorrect, one will need to look at how the particular company makes its decisions. Some of the models being re-released or new ones put out, I wonder how it could ever happened. But if a company is doing fine and not exactly in the reds, the chairman or Managing Director has this amazing desire to release a particular model, whose is going to say no to him or her. One would think, he is the boss, he is running the show and so far is still going fine, so who am I going tell the boss he/she is wrong as we all make mistake here and there and so long as it will not put the company in bankruptcy, who cares. Most top guy is pretty smart and they can get ideas across. They don't get to where they are for being stupid and they get their way. A particular product may not be for profit at all, but the goal could be for brand recognition, imagine, reputation, goodwill, company moral etc...which may appeal not a good decision at first but until we know the objectives behind the decsion, we can talking nonsense.

1989 MBA Harvard... :lol:

I've seen the unboxing video of the new Kyosho Scorpion at UltimateRC, and I've got to confess, I like its look. :) And it is showing more of its retro roots than, let's say, the Tamiya Neo Falcon. Just to make a silly comparison, as both are totally different kinds of R/C cars. Not sure about the 1/7 scale and the corresponding price tag, but I think we'll see even more modern R/C buggys of this realistic style in the future, in all kinds of scales and price ranges.

Greg, I like the way it looks too. I think it is too big as well at 1/7. Who knows maybe one will show up on RCTechs for sale section for cheap and I'll change my mind and give it a shot.

I do wish that these manufacturers would sit down and standardise the specs for what is considered 1/9, 1/8, 1/7. I was looking at the Kyosho DRX (1/9) next to HPI W8 Rally (1/8), the DRX is much larger... Not sure who to blame there.. Is HPI wrong ... Or Kyosho lol.

With regards to the re-re and success. Unfortunately none of us have hard numbers as proof to their success. Tamiyas continued release of re-re's would indicate that they are enjoying a financial success. I doubt a handful of us TC members quantifies sole success to them. A company can't sustain itself for over 10 years if it continues to make the same mistake in re-releasing old kits. Even if Mr. Tamiya has gone insane, by doing the same thing over and over awaiting different results.... It wouldn't last this long. The board would have him removed. Lol.

With regards to modern buggies... I recently acquired a TRF201 and I'm impressed. I was at a clay track and I looked decent out there. It's very well behaved and easy to set up. I plan on picking up a new body and decorating it with rough rider decals... Go 80s RC! :D