My first RC car was back in '86. Bought a Black Foot used from a friends brother. It came with an RS-540SD Endurance motor (wish I still had that!) I was great once I'd saved up enough for an Airtronics XL2-p. When I finished 6th grade that year I'd made honor roll all 4 quarters and as a gift my parents let me drag them down to Jim's RC in Derry NH and I got a Tamiya RX-540XD Technipower to replace the "Techniblack" I had. That turned out to be the death knell for the Black Foot tranny :) After a zillion sets of Diff/spider gears I parked it and it was lost to a bunch of moves and time.

This one came almost as you see it...showed up last week.

It needed tires and electronics, so I happily obliged with a brand new RS-540 Sport Tuned Black motor as a nod to my younger days :) I popped in an HPI ESC and a Spektrum RX and Servo. The tires are a spare set I had for my Monster Beetle Project{s}. Body has no cracks and just needs a sunroof and rear window....maybe some black paint on that grille and some color for the driver. Need to put the rear bumper back on :)

It's just as fun to drive as it I remembered but I'm taking it a bit easy until I fab up some braces for the tranny to fight the side-plate flex (the cause of the nukes diffs of yesteryear).

The truck is a survivor and I'm just going to play with it gently. No big resto, just smiles.

Since it arrived I gave it some of the parts I never could when I was a kid...Monster Beetle CVA shocks, bearings and some CRP Suspension pivots and rear bumper/tranny brace. I wiped it down and just have been having a ball driving it.

I build scale 4wd rigs and while I truly enjoy both the zen of the build as well as the nirvana of driving a scaler, the Blackfoot pastes a HUGE smile on my face.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

From last week before the CVA's etc...

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Thats a nice runner truck - its all to easy to spend many hours cleaning , repainting and improving but then you end up reluctant to use them. Good to see one being enjoyed as intended with well placed upgrades.

Looks like a fun runner! I have a couple of these, also had one "back then."

Search for "oldfrogshot screw mod" for a brilliant way to save diff gears.

I guess I'm saying that with the very basic brace, from CRP, or hand made, the issue is moot :) Drilling out the outputs etc is far more involved than 2 nuts and 2 bolts :)