Sign in to follow this  
kontemax

Fox & Falcon universal joint shafts. Has anyone tried to build them by itself?

Thinking about the ugly Fox and Falcon shafts.

Frog UJs seems good for the Falcon but no, they are not. The wheel axle is too long. But if I disassemble the Frog UJs and use a normal short axle can it works? The Frog and Falcon half shafts are the same length?

And what about the Fox? Somebody knows the length of the Fox half shafts? Can something be similar?

Max

Another question: will the Frog Universal Joints fit the Wild One?

Cheers

Max

Hi, this thread is a blog by now.

Anyway I can say now that Frog shafts are equal to FAV and Wild One ones. So Re-Re Frog universal shafts can fit on Wild One and on FAV. Also on Monster Beetle obviously.

The problem remains for Falcon and Fox shafts.

Any idea?

Max

Falcon and Fox wheel axles are "normal" like Top Force, or Boomerang or Thunder Shot ones. Don't know measurements now but there are several kind of wheel axle and short one is the more common.

In my memory there are different measurement in these cars:

Astute, Super Astute, Madcap, Saint Dragon, Dyna Storm: medium axle length, long half shaft.

Dyna Blaster: mediun Axle length, very long half shaft.

Egress, Avante, Avante 2001, Vanquish: medium axle length, short half shaft.

King Cab, Hi-Lux Monster Racer: medium/long axle length, long half shaft.

Frog, Wild One, FAV, Monster Beetle: long axle length, ??? half shaft length.

Hot Shot, Thunder Shot, Top Force: short axle length, long half shaft.

Fox, Falcon, Striker, Sonic Fighter: short axle length, ??? half shaft length.

Max

Are you just looking to fit a dog bone set-up to a Falcon? I have tried over the last few years to find something that could possibly work and have had no luck. In the end if you can source a set of Thorp dog bones and drive cups you will be in business! Do you know what these are?

J

This is very sad. For this reason I think to built by myself these dog bones.I need a starting point anyway. One system could be modify some existing dog bone or universal joint.Anyway I disassembled my Fox and my Falcon to have a comparison between them and the Frog Universal joints.You can see the picture:

img24_19092012235827_1.jpg

The result is that no fitting is possible within Falcon, Frog and Fox.

At the end someone says me that Frog UJs can fit the FAV and the Wild One (and obviously the Monster Beetle and other car ORV based).

Any ideas?

Max

The Falcon diff cup looks similar to the cheap DF-02 (Plasma Edge, etc.) design: a plastic cup with metal shaft that plugs into the diff inside the gearcase. The hardened steel replacement for the DF-02 is 53790, and requires the universal joint assembly 53791 (for DF-02) or 53792 (for TT-01). I'm going to guess that 53791 will not be the correct length for the Falcon based on my pictures below (sorry about the clipped parts, I was focusing on the label). But I don't know about 53792. I would assume the dogbone in 53792 is shorter than 53791 since the TT-01 is narrower than DF-02? I really don't know, just guessing.

The wheel axle in 53791 is certainly shorter than the Frog unit in your picture, but the dogbone is a lot longer. Maybe you could steal the axle part from 53791 and combine with Frog dogbone UJ? Or maybe 53792 is closer in length for both pieces for what you need? I don't have 53792 or a Falcon.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

The DF-02 axle should be good but the shaft is toooooo long. The diff cups are a little bit shorter than Falcon one but could work, who knows?

The Falcon axle is 11 mm (from the cup to the middle of pin hole), total length is 25 mm.

The Frog axle is 19 mm (from the cup to the middle of pin hole), total length is 43 mm.

The Fox axle is 11 mm (from the cup to the middle of pin hole), total length is 25 mm.

The Falcon diff cup is 21 mm.

The Frog diff cup is 14 mm.

The Fox diff cup is 17 mm.

The Falcon shaft is 41 mm (from pin to pin).

The Frog shaft is 37 mm as wrote on.

The Fox shaft is 53 mm circa (difficult to measure due the shaft is inside the cups).

Is there some Tamiya 41 mm and 53 mm shaft on some other model?

Tamiya OP-502 swing shaft is 42 mm long.

And what about this for CR01?

http://www.engagerc.com/servlet/the-1072/Tamiya-Matel-parts-Drive/Detail

And this 42 mm?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFSB6&P=SM

40 mm:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBSEY&P=SM

Max

Has there been any progress on creating a set that will work with the Fox?

I'm going to need new universals soon and would like to get a set that will last a while.

No progresses, sorry. The only idea I had is to cut a longer shaft and shorten it to the right measure. It will need a brass 3 mm pipe and some sort of brass solder.

Max

Hey Max

I have afalcon with Fox axles in it. It looks like they have moved the mounting blocks for the rear swing arms out about 4-5mm looks good I have never used the car so I can't comment on the running of it. I might do that when I get home tonight though.

Hey OSR I took the falcon for a run today ran well and has a technigold in it as well!!

I can't seem to upload pic for some reason but is in my show room

So you used Manta Ray outer hubs and hexes from?? I use the thorp setup (ball diff, dogbones,axles) which work well, but this looks pretty sweet as well, and you get to use current day wheel / tyre sizes.

Cheers

Using DF01 suspension on the rear of the Fox makes the rear quite a bit wider than it was originally. Much wider than the front is. May as well just drop the Fox body on a DT02/DN01.

I have a Thorp setup in my runner Fox too. Original driveshafts in the shelf queen Fox.

Using DF01 suspension on the rear of the Fox makes the rear quite a bit wider than it was originally. Much wider than the front is. May as well just drop the Fox body on a DT02/DN01.

I have a Thorp setup in my runner Fox too. Original driveshafts in the shelf queen Fox.

1st :lol: DT02 bahaha , Ok Mr T we don't want this , Mark don't give them BAD ideas ,

We love the fox as is :D .

Wish i could find a thorp setup for my fox ..

1st :lol: DT02 bahaha , Ok Mr T we don't want this , Mark don't give them BAD ideas ,

Like this:

erjy45.jpg

:lol: It's wrong! So very wrong! :lol:

• Like 1

Like this:

erjy45.jpg

:lol:

:lol: & that don't look to bad , But NO we don't want DT02 Fox .

That's a bad idea , We need admin hear to clean up in isle 2 !! :lol:

They need to remove this pic , b4 Mr T see it . :D ........

Actually, this is one of the nicest paint + decal schemes ever I've seen on a Desert Gator body. Would even look better if the white DG wheels would be dyed yellow, or using yellow Super Fighter G/Holiday Buggy 2010 wheels.

I'm not kidding. :)

I'm hoping to scoop up some Thorpe parts, I'm keeping an eye open for them now. Has anyone tried slotting the stock ends and running dog bones, or is that just silly?

Seems to me that there must be a combo of ends and race prep/Thorpe dog ones which would work. I may have to take some chances and see if I can piece something together.