Daves956

Tank upgrade questions

That one won't be going back together. it gave up all it's electronics for the pershing I was thinking that smoke rolling out the back isn't what you usually work to see happen. The only down side is that it showed up in the same frequency as the tiger. I've got crystals coming so the two can go head to head.

hahaThats cool :D wonder if a bit of that smoke can be made to come out of the gun when its fired? :ph34r:

After replacing the gun and having a good look at it, there isn't much chance if smoke coming out the barrel.

I swapped the gun, reciever board, turret rotation gearbox and fitted the multifunction and got all the wiring sorted out. I fit the fan to the smoke box and replaced the speaker too.

The tauch panzer was never even powered up. For the price I'm thinking about getting another one for the old tiger at a later date. I look at it as a new gun, Tx and Rx, MFU, speaker box, volume control,smoke unit and all the plug in boards and cables for 99 dollars. I've looked and can't beat the price.

I need to fix the smoke unit in the tiger now that I know what I'm doing. I'll post a picture of it.

The smoke units are repairable but its not worth it with how cheap matomart does proporsional ones for,

great work so far,

keep it up,WARNING Heng Long Tanks get addictive. (just incase you hadn't geussed).

and poor panzer 3 either reasemble the parts and use it as a shelf model or even better send it to me :P;) hehe

keep up the good work

Oh and fit internal tank ariels as the std ones look awfull and if you dont use the ariel the rang on them is awfull, ;)

I spoke with the people I got the panzer 3 from and they have it listed as an older model and can't change the price or anything because of contractual obligations. They've sent an alternate channel set of crystals. I had both of them out today and there are some personality differences. The pershing doesn't do grass, even freshly mowed but the tiger has no problems with it. The tiger shoots approximately 30 feet and the pershing is more like 70. Same BBs with new guns.

All I'm doing with the smoke units is fitting the fan so no big deal.

I think that before the auction runs out on the panzer I'll go for another full electronics set.

As for range on the radios, I'm fairly sure the brass piece through the body on the pershing is giving me problems. I'll look into different antennas.

check the colour of the endbell on the BB motors (diffrent colours are diffrent winds etc with heng long) also run the bb unit 10 times or so and it should improve,

also check the gearbox's same thing (Black endbell's are usualy high tourqe) dont ask me why the do it but its what they do and very random,

the brass bit on the body for the ariel just goes straight through and the receiver wire screws onto it (also has a connector in the middle)

ariels can be made from good quality phone wire or even a good lenth of speaker wire inside the tank running around the inside edge,

as for the panzer III put it together as best you can & use it as a target :)

The BB & smoke by HL combine with the recoil gun action & sound by Tamiya would make it deadly and real. :)

The BB & smoke by HL combine with the recoil gun action & sound by Tamiya would make it deadly and real. :)

Those were the key issues that i was looking at with the tanks in general. I watched and listened to videos of both systems to get an idea of how they acted. I also knew that what I saw was the best efforts and probably not the most accurate for straight out of the box. The air pump for the H L smoke system is really loud and it detracts from the stock sound, especially with an inferior speaker. Having gone with the newer version with the volume control and correcting the 2 issues mentioned, the sound is really good for it and of course so is the Tamiya but is the Tamiya 350 dollars better? That was what I was looking at for all the pieces to go with the different MFU. Then you had to look at all the control issues as well. I just couldn't justify the cost for such a slight difference between them,

As far as the recoil, I looked at that too and it's a standard function with the new version H L. Not the barrel but the tank itself.

When everything is said and done I'll most likely have 2 tigers and the pershing with all the bells and whistles for less than a single full option tiger that would still need the smoke and working gun added to be the same. I'll also have the likely 2 panzer chassis for later projects or whatever.

A few upgrades and improvements. I installed the interior antennas on the tiger and pershing and removed the externals. I rebuilt the semi stripped gearbox in the pershing and went with the 2 new motors in it. I rearrainged the electronics in the pershing so nothing interfered with the turret. I did a better job on the electric fan for the tiger.

Both guns have the black end bells on the motors but I changed to the 12 gram BBs in the tiger and they now are about the same. The next chance I get I'll try the lighter ammo in the pershing just to see.

Hopefully in the beginning of the week crystals for one of them and the metal tracks for the pershing should show up. I went ahead and ordered the metal gearboxes in both long and short axles.

Here are a couple pictures of how the interiors look now.

IMG_1448.jpgIMG_1449.jpg

How is the smoke generated? Does it require to burn or heat something up? I think it just add so much more realism to a tank, especially smoke coming out from a Tiger's rear. :rolleyes:

How is the smoke generated? Does it require to burn or heat something up? I think it just add so much more realism to a tank, especially smoke coming out from a Tiger's rear. :rolleyes:

The bottom picture is the tiger and on the right end is the smoke unit, It does heat an oil that is in a small wick. The fan seen is to replace a very loud mechanical air pump. It's pushed up the clear tubes and vented out the back, Filling is done with the same tubes from the outside. The black tubes are on the top of the tiger for air vent lines. There is an on off switch for the smoke on the bottom of the tiger and in the battery compartment on the pershing. It's simple easy and cheap and probably could be added to anything with enough room for it.

When the battery is switched on the front lights blink until you start the tank via the remote. Then after the startup sounds it energizes the drives and smoke unit according to the on off switch. The control software is pretty well thought out and the new version has a switch for firing so it won't fire up if the gun is in firing position. It's also used for recoil.

I tried the lighter BBs in the pershing and it's got a range of at least 70 feet with them. Just out of curiosity I tried the gun in the old tiger and I can't tell the range on it. They go too fast to see. It's the only one you really don't want to be in front of, the others guns just bounce off your hand in front of it but that one hurts. It won't work with the newer radio and MFU though.

I got my second full payment refund for pershing metal tracks yesterday. It looks like thier not available on this continent. I'll try Australia once the refund posts later this week.

We are going to take the two of them out together this coming weekend to litter the area with BBs. It being the first real test of firing at something that moves so I see a lot of misses. I'll probably put the unimog out for a stationary target too. I saw biodegradable BBs somewhere. I'll have to pick some up to keep the littering to a minimum.

I stopped by the LHS looking for any detail pieces and came up empty. However I did find an odd holiday wrinkle for the tanks. Scented smoke oils that are meant for trains but they work the same. i now have Christmas scented smoke oil. It smells like pine trees, they had vanilla and coffee and a few others to choose from. I thought a WWII battle tank belching thick pine scented smoke would help set the mood for the holidays....or maybe not. :D It may smell like a forest fire.

I stopped by the LHS looking for any detail pieces and came up empty. However I did find an odd holiday wrinkle for the tanks. Scented smoke oils that are meant for trains but they work the same. i now have Christmas scented smoke oil. It smells like pine trees, they had vanilla and coffee and a few others to choose from. I thought a WWII battle tank belching thick pine scented smoke would help set the mood for the holidays....or maybe not. :D It may smell like a forest fire.

I work in a restaurant and thinking of using used cooking oil. Hope it won't smell like french fries or fried chicken. :lol:

I think that a cooking oil would be too thick, if it weren't I'd be looking for oil used to cook doughnuts. :)

I think that a cooking oil would be too thick, if it weren't I'd be looking for oil used to cook doughnuts. :)

Is special oil and are from hobby or train shops.

I decided to test the scented smoke oil before it went into a tank. I put a couple drops on a burner of the stove and it smells like burning pine sap. Kind of chemical weaponish if you ask me. I'll pass on putting it in a tank.

I got the metal gearbox upgrades today from a seller in Niagra Falls and after a few messages back and forth he found a metal track set for the pershing in his inventory. They should be here in a couple of days.

I've got helmets coming in from the UK (best price), I'm going to start doing some cables and chains for them. I ordered a couple of jerry cans but the price for those is crazy compared to everything else. I intend to clone a few of them.

I can't decide what to do with the old tiger. Upgrade the electronics to make it runnable or parts

I decided to upgrade and part out the old tiger. The bottom of it isn't worth upgrading so it's parts. The upper deck, turret and gun will be like a second body for the new tiger. I tried it out and the gun in it has a range of over 100 feet with the .12 gram BBs. I had to have a spotter to see where they were landing.

A few upgrades and open doors. How can I get that real cable for it to lay straight?

IMG_1451.jpg

I wonder if you try and run the cable through finger and thumb it could be "massaged" in to the shape you want?

Tanks are looking great B)

you buy the clamps that hold the cable on & they hold it in shape (Big type) Easy to get.

& for the gun cleaning rods you use cocktail sticks with small brass tube in the ends,

use some styreane to make new clamps to hold the gun cleaning rods and cable together (Long clamps) the wing nuts you just cut lenths of solder and squash the middle then squash the ends the other way and glue them on.

For smoke oil you can use thin baby oil (not the gell stuff)

you can open up the engine cover to get access to the smoke unit (easier filling)

and opening up the front hatchs always looks cool :)

Tanks are comming on well, what about makeing the old tiger into a Bergtiger or an I/R Tiger with heng long recoil system, main barrel flash, smoke, sound etc etc, or a late model tiger 1 version,

could put the old gearbox's and electrics in the panzer 3 and run it on demo mode as a moving target :)

Pete

A lot of the problem is these are self perpetuating. The panzer was to fix the pershing, now another one to fix the old tiger and so on and so on. I have one barely usable radio set leftover and it's based on a TK01 reciever with a range of maybe 8 feet so no go with it. If I go IR then that's two tanks also.

There's a bulldog for sale locally with the newer radio gear that could go into the tiger but I'm having problems justifying two of them.

I think I'll stick with the 2 tanks and get them all waterproof and detailed. Yesterday was the first snow of this winter so they are winter projects and subject to snow on the ground if they get run.

I was a rc tanker before I got back into cars. A good tank forum I used was http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/index.php. They even named a zimmerit technique after me... The Crispy method. It's a friendly place full of info and people ready to help with queries.

I used to own a Tamiya Tiger 1 and still have a few Heng Longs boxed away in the loft. I've got to say if you have the budget and the time, there is nothing quite like building a Tamiya full option tank from new. The kits are amazing and the control & sound will put a huge smile on your face.

Saying that the later Heng Longs are 80-90% there at a fraction of the cost, but you know that already. I began converting my old early issue HL Tiger 1 into a Sturmtiger. As it didnt need any turret controls I used a standard 2 channel TX with 2x TEU101s working from seperate batteries through 1 receiver to power it. The ESCs gave great slow speed control and the twin nimh batteries weighed the chassis down nicely, loads of power too as you can imagine.

Best thing with the HLs are they're so easy to upgrade.

The Bulldog is a nice tank, over sized for 1/16 but it comes out closer to an M48 MBT which was what I was aiming for with mine.

A lot of the problem is these are self perpetuating. The panzer was to fix the pershing, now another one to fix the old tiger and so on and so on. I have one barely usable radio set leftover and it's based on a TK01 reciever with a range of maybe 8 feet so no go with it. If I go IR then that's two tanks also.

There's a bulldog for sale locally with the newer radio gear that could go into the tiger but I'm having problems justifying two of them.

I think I'll stick with the 2 tanks and get them all waterproof and detailed. Yesterday was the first snow of this winter so they are winter projects and subject to snow on the ground if they get run.

I know what you mean by by self perpetuating, next thing you know there's loads of parts sat there and only a few runners LOL,

with the tiger the switch's can be moved from underneith & put under the rear hatchs & the wholes filled underneith the tank,

the perishing is a little harder but the engine hatchs can be opened and used for the switchs,

good thing is the old parts/ ones you dont use fetch money on ebay so you could do that and use the money for upgrades

and as for the bulldog, nice tank but was always a bad seller.