kontemax

Metallic Yellow for Polycarbonate body

Hi people,

I would like to find, if it exists, a metallic yellow spray can for transparent bodies.

I would like to make a body metallic green and metallic yellow. Would like a warm yellow, not as lemon yellow but closer to orange.

Tamiya does the metallic green but doesn't do the metallic yellow.

Do you know some brand, color or some technique to obtain this color please?

Many thanks

Max

Metallic Yellow, Iridescent Yellow or Yellow with a sparkle? You need to be careful to back it with the right colour to give you the look you want eg white, black or silver. Testors does a Pactra in Metallic Yellow (RC5507) but I don't know if they make that in a rattle can version. There is also a FasColor metallic yellow but it looks more gold than yellow and that definitely needs you to use an airbrush. (I'm also not a fan of FasColor. I've used it but find the quality isn't consistent across the range).

Of course, you could always use a very yellow gold.

When you add metallic base to yellow paint, the paint turns gold. The same happens when you add metallic base to red paint, it turns pinkish.

To overcome this (as you would know all my models are 'metallic' yellow), I use a fine gold metal flake onto the inside of the body shell first, then overcoat that with regular yellow paint. The finish on the outside becomes sparkly yellow, but inside it's regular yellow. I back the yellow (as it's translucent) with gold, and then black. My models are all the brightest sparkly yellow you can imagine with no loss away from the primary yellow colour.

Applying the gold metal flake too heavily will result in the finish just looking like gold paint. You only need a dusting of it.

You can get the metal flakes in pressure pack cans, though I prefer to use powders and mix them with clear and apply with the airbrush.

When you add metallic base to yellow paint, the paint turns gold. The same happens when you add metallic base to red paint, it turns pinkish.

To overcome this (as you would know all my models are 'metallic' yellow), I use a fine gold metal flake onto the inside of the body shell first, then overcoat that with regular yellow paint. The finish on the outside becomes sparkly yellow, but inside it's regular yellow. I back the yellow (as it's translucent) with gold, and then black. My models are all the brightest sparkly yellow you can imagine with no loss away from the primary yellow colour.

Applying the gold metal flake too heavily will result in the finish just looking like gold paint. You only need a dusting of it.

You can get the metal flakes in pressure pack cans, though I prefer to use powders and mix them with clear and apply with the airbrush.

I did similar with the TLT in the avatar pic. The difference being I just used Tamiya gold paint to mist the shell before applying Camel Yellow and backing with white. Same sort of sparkly effect - though I could probably have stood to use more of the gold as you have to be quite close to see it.

I did similar with the TLT in the avatar pic. The difference being I just used Tamiya gold paint to mist the shell before applying Camel Yellow and backing with white. Same sort of sparkly effect - though I could probably have stood to use more of the gold as you have to be quite close to see it.

I tried this method with my Micro-T beetle body as I thought the metal flake would look too large on the small 1:35 scale body. In retrospect I wish I'd just used what I did on the larger models. I've since refinished a Hot Wheels car in the yellow/metal flake and it looks great, even on the 1:65 scale.

img20319_21032009230305_3.jpg

Ok, I'll use some metal gold plus camel yellow backed with orange or red to make the yellow more warm.

What do you think about?

Max