Sign in to follow this  
wolfdogstinkus

4.8v Micro servo, How to drop voltage?

I just bought a micro servo for fun, maybe to turn a drivers head?, or to open the sunroof on the beetle, problem is that the maximum voltage the servo can take is 4.8volts, it got a bit hot after a couple of seconds plugged into the receiver when it must have been getting 6v, oops.

The servo still works but I need a way to step down the voltage?, can I just use a couple of AA batteries?, and if so do I take the + and - wires to the batteries and leave the other wire in the receiver?, would this even work?.

Hello mate . You can run the micro servo off the reciever by fitting a potentiometer or resistor to drop the voltage . You'll need a volt meter to set the voltage . Its the same as fitting resistors to LED's when using them for headlights ect . A resistor /pot with a value of around 560 Ohms should do the trick

Thanks Bromvw, I don't have a voltmeter but I could probably borrow one from somewhere, I have always got my led's with resistors all ready fitted so don't have any experience with them. I can solder ok so no problem fitting one, just need to know what to buy.

Your best bet would be to use a 7805 Voltage regulator to lower the voltage.. A 7805 regulator will output 5 volts..

Another option would be to connect 2 diodes (IN4004) in series in the positive (red) servo wire.. A diode has a fioward voltage drop of appro 0.5 volts, 2 diodes will drop the voltage by 1 volt..

The easiest option would be to use an ESC with a 5 volt output on its BEC..

My experience about different voltage rated servos is what I saw few months ago in a friendĀ“s electric helicopter only.

Due to the high voltage/power motor demands, he had to use a no BEC esc. Then he powered all main rotor servos and receiver by a 6v lipo regulator, and get a 4.8V lipo regulator for tail servo only.

Weird setup, but completely a must as he told me.

Your best bet would be to use a 7805 Voltage regulator to lower the voltage.. A 7805 regulator will output 5 volts..

Another option would be to connect 2 diodes (IN4004) in series in the positive (red) servo wire.. A diode has a fioward voltage drop of appro 0.5 volts, 2 diodes will drop the voltage by 1 volt..

The easiest option would be to use an ESC with a 5 volt output on its BEC..

same as fitting a resistor or pot in efftect - drop the voltage .