Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff

5 most iconic Tamiyas?

Many will probably disagree, but I'll start (not particularly my favourites)

Sand Scorcher

Hornet

Hotshot

Avante

Bruiser??? (not for me, but seems very popular)

Having said that, I don't own ANY of those (embarrassed smiley)

#1 Sand Scorcher

#2 Hilux

#3Chevy Blazing Blazer

#4Clodbuster

#5 Vanessas Lunchbox

Badboy

My choices

Sand Scorcher

Avante

Egress

Porsche 959

Vanessa Lunchbox

I'd stick the Clod in at #6 and any one of the three speeders at #7

Hmm i'm missing a 959 on my shelf :(

1 Rough Rider

2 Toyota Hi Lux

3 Holiday Buggy

4 Hotshot

5 Blitzer Beetle

Own all except the Toyota and all being the first variant on that chassis (not sure on the Blitzer Beetle).

Rich.

• Like 1

In terms of 'iconic', as in defining Tamiya's RC, I'd say...

1. Sand Scorcher

2. Lunchbox

3. Porsche 934 Turbo RSR

4. Hilux

5. Clodbuster

Other possibles - Wild Willy, Hornet, Holiday Buggy (maybe)

I'll throw some more recent models in the list, as this discussion isn't restricted on vintage models.

Hm....

#1 Grasshopper/Hornet

Couldn't decide which one to pick, but while running my cars I met a lot of people who had one of these in the past.

#2 Fighter Buggy

Haha, this could be anything from the DT-01 Fighter Buggy RX to the DT-02 Super Fighter G. In fact, most people here in Germany don't care and know them just as "Tamiya Fighter Buggys". They even set up some Guiness approved records (longest total run 280km, longest run on 1 battery 34km), crazy, isn't it?

#3 Sand Scorcher

Finally. Nothing else to say. Love the wheels & tire combo.

#4 Wild Willy

Whether it's the original Willys M38 or the Wild Willy 2, that car is pretty iconic.

#5 Clod Buster / Super Clod Buster

I want one so bad!! :D

Being somewhat younger, the definitive Tamiyas in my opinion are:

1: Sand Scorcher

2: Lunch Box

3: Clod Buster

4: Bruiser

5: Wild Willy 2

1: SRB. Whether it's the Scorcher, Rough Rider or Super Champ, most of us seem to own or want to own at least one of these. These buggies define an era and you could make the case that they started off-road buggy racing.

2: Toyota Hilux. The first of the 3-speeds and to me at least, the best looking.

3. Flakpanzer Gepard. Just a work of art.

4. VW Golf Racing Group 2. Simple chassis, lightweight but detailed body, the grandfather of on-road racers.

5. Clodbuster. The original monster. Say no more... :)

Honourable mentions for the Sand Rover/Holiday Buggy, Wild Willy in any guise and the King Hauler.

To me, these aren't just iconic in their own right but they also demonstrate the range and versatility we've come to take for granted from the big T. Nobody else comes close.

"Iconic" is an interesting word. Has nothing to do with whether they are our personal favourites or the most expensive or the rarest or the most produced... to me "iconic" means that it transcends statistics and even personal preference and somehow implies that it has an almost historical and mythical reputation.

IMHO they have to be:

#1 Sand Scorcher... not my favourite Tamiya by a long way but I would struggle to argue it's iconic status

#2 Vintage Hilux... now this is a mean piece of kit with fantastic engineering and very memorable marketing... I used top love those videos in Hamleys

#3 Wild Willy M38... only Tamiya could apply such a level of modelling detail and realism to a "stunt" vehicle with a driver whose head is too big

#4 Original Avante... this was a real stepchange in the use of new materials and set a benchmark for expensive and unnecessarily complex but at the same time wonderful over-engineering

#5 The original 58001 Porsche... without that where would we be?

Some interesting replies here chaps. But yes, as a couple of you mentioned, it's not particularly your favourite Tamiyas, but 5 that you think have made the biggest impression over the last 30 years, generally.

Not a big 'Clod' fan, to big and Cloddy for me!! (I await an attack!)

3. Flakpanzer Gepard

How right you are!

Didn't Chelsea sign him, recently??

1. Avante

2. Vanquish

3. Egress

4. Avante 2001

5. Vanquish again

lol

1. Avante

2. Vanquish

3. Egress

4. Avante 2001

5. Vanquish again

lol

somehow i thought this might be Tamiya Era's list

Great minds think alike maybe? :D

Though having though about it more, I would take the 2nd Vanquish off the bottom, and place it at the top, but change it to Vanquish Mini 4WD. The one shown in my Avatar. This little car won me so much money in gift certificates I was able to get into real RC. It's worst placing was 2nd, and that was maybe once ever. I don't know why, but that box stock kit was faster than everyone else on the track.

In fact it is so lucky that I posted that very photo on TamiyaUSA and even won their monthly prize drawing with it. lol

http://www.tamiyausa...?article-id=328

"Iconic" is an interesting word. Has nothing to do with whether they are our personal favourites or the most expensive or the rarest or the most produced... to me "iconic" means that it transcends statistics and even personal preference and somehow implies that it has an almost historical and mythical reputation.

IMHO they have to be:

#1 Sand Scorcher... not my favourite Tamiya by a long way but I would struggle to argue it's iconic status

#2 Vintage Hilux... now this is a mean piece of kit with fantastic engineering and very memorable marketing... I used top love those videos in Hamleys

#3 Wild Willy M38... only Tamiya could apply such a level of modelling detail and realism to a "stunt" vehicle with a driver whose head is too big

#4 Original Avante... this was a real stepchange in the use of new materials and set a benchmark for expensive and unnecessarily complex but at the same time wonderful over-engineering

#5 The original 58001 Porsche... without that where would we be?

I'd tend to agree with the logic here but I'd also add the Juggernaut - partially because I'm heavily biased, and partially because the original was an iconic flop, which allowed another icon (the Clod) to emerge victorious.

Ah the Jugg2, what a magical creature.

I'd choose...

The Grasshopper

Venessa's Lunchbox

Wild Willy

Sand Scorcher

Tiger 1 tank

I've owned 3 of them and I hope to acquire the other 2 someday.

Sand Scorcher

The Frog

Porsche 959

Toyota Hilux

Avante

All are either prime examples of Tamiya's engineering prowess or left very strong impressions upon their owners, or both. Alternative to the Frog would be Vanessa's Lunchbox.

Edit: And forgot about the Blackfoot...

I think to be iconic, it has to effectively be the first thing you think of when it's mentioned. When somebody says Tamiya, what model do you think of? I think most people would agree that it would be the Sand Scorcher. It's why I'd also put the Lunchbox in there. Although we can all appreciate the engineering of the 959 or the Avante, I don't think they are the first models that spring to mind....

Having said that, we all think differently, which would account for the differences of opinion. :D

I would guess there would be some regional/national flavor to individual's lists; I can't believe the Blackfoot isn't on anyone's list, and I would place it at #1. Maybe it was more popular in the USA than elsewhere? At any rate, my list is: Blackfoot, Hornet, Hotshot, Sand Scorcher, and Clod Buster.

My top 5, in no particular order:

• Hornet
  • Sand Scorcher
  • Avante (original)
  • Clod
  • TT01

Yes I know the last one migh be a bit of a surprise addition, but since it has introduced so many people to the joys of hobby-grade touring car ownership, I think that, in a couple of decades, we'll have a generation who think back to their first TT01 with the same fondness that people of my age think back to their first Hornet or Grasshopper.

Striker

Sonic Fighter

Rookie Rabbit

Schlesser Buggy Megane

Neo Shot

Striker

Sonic Fighter

Rookie Rabbit

Schlesser Buggy Megane

Neo Shot

Very obscure list you have there... only 3 out of the five ever went into production.

I think you may have misread the title :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen the hotshot on a list yet.

Edit - reading before posting often helps I find :lol: